Thread: Bears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bears

That Mount Rainier video - yikes.

I’m contemplating doing the Michigan Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder route in August as a solo ride.

While I was complaining about never seeing a bear in the Michigan woods, I’m a little concerned that my first encounter might be alone in the middle of nowhere.
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    That Mount Rainier video - yikes.

I’m contemplating doing the Michigan Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder route in August as a solo ride.

While I was complaining about never seeing a bear in the Michigan woods, I’m a little concerned that my first encounter might be alone in the middle of nowhere.
    Think of them as big rats. Then they aren't so scary.
    Besides, this time of year, they should be busy eating berries and other yummy things....
    a small airhorn will do the trick too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bear that walked across our porch a couple weeks ago nearly ran straight into a tree after I let off a blast with the airhorn. The decibels out of one of those things are mind-altering. Do not use one in an enclosed space or closer to anyone’s head than at arm’s length, pointed away from you & pointed away from any other nearby person. I accidentally let one off in the garage while taking it out of its packaging and I actually thought I was going to throw up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if anyone saw this, but there are a number of mistakes made here that unfortunately ended up being fatal. Note: This is a grizzly not a black bear, but the mistakes are still wrong for dealing with black bears.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...deadly-attack/
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-25-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw this, but there are a number of mistakes made here that unfortunately ended up being fatal. Note: This is a grizzly not a black bear, but the mistakes are still wrong for dealing with black bears.

Very sad. Unfortunately the most important, IMO, rule wasn't followed...keep anything with smell away from your tent. One of our favorite camping spots is Panthertown Valley, a bear sanctuary in the Nantahala/Pisgah Forest region of western NC. That whole area is now requiring bear canisters due to increased black bear activity in recent years. We keep our food and toiletries in odor proof bags and in a Bear Vault canister, and the canister is stashed far away from camp. We also don't cook or eat right near the tent.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

If anyone would like access to that article, let me know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pictures but a mom and one cub were spotted yesterday.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been have a very bear-y year. First a bear busted up the bluebird's house and eggs. Then just recently possibly a smaller bear (judging from the bite marks - but who knows) pulled down the swallow's house but couldn't pop open the house. I found the two young swallows and quickly rebuilt the house and pole, and after several hours of confusion, the parents started slamming food down their gullets like "grow dammit or the bear is going to get you". Then a couple days ago I found that a bear had repositioned the solar panel on an off-grid watering system I have hooked up in the woods by bending a section of steel signpost to the ground. And today I noticed in another location that someone with a really big ass sat on our two pawpaw saplings which are about 15' apart but near a big rotten log ripped to smithereens. Fortunately the saplings are tough but the plastic deer guard is a bit flattened. Finally on the way back to the house I found a fawn that looked like it had been bitten clean in half, probably several days ago judging by the maggot population. Whew.

Roll the tape.
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-22-2023 at 07:27 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has been a juvenile black bear wandering around the area recently. Roosevelt Island was closed to hikers last weekend because he was on the roam and he’s been working his way west through Arlington since then.

Coincides with me taking long solo walks morning and night in the wake of our dog dying and part of me is half laughing at the idea of me getting mauled by a bear because I don’t have a canine friend to ward it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_1669.jpg

This happened the other day. I told Mrs.mnoble485 that the bird/squirrel feeder had to go. We were safely on the other side of the window. They are beautiful creatures but…

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    IMG_1669.jpg

This happened the other day. I told Mrs.mnoble485 that the bird/squirrel feeder had to go. We were safely on the other side of the window. They are beautiful creatures but…

Mike
    Yep. The common thread here is that anything that looks even remotely like a bird feeder gets destroyed in April (early season munchies) and June (grown kids are getting desperate for calories). Most people take their feeders down April 1, but I think it will start being March 15th these days as bears are waking up earlier.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're in Yellowstone this week. Six days, eight bears. Three grizzlies and five black.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    We're in Yellowstone this week. Six days, eight bears. Three grizzlies and five black.
    Come play with me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a rare garage door removal in the neighborhood. Evidently the owner had a 50gal plastic trash can full of bird seed stored in his garage right on the other side of the door.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234