Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer vacation recommendations - New England and beyond

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Summer vacation recommendations - New England and beyond

I lived in NB for a number of years, going to Cape Breton is not a really a beach trip, even though it is on the ocean - water will be COLD.

If beach is what you want take a look at going to Shediac and up the coast to Kouchibouguac National Park. You can stay in Moncton and take day trips to Hillsboro to see the flowerpots and tidal features, trip to Saint John to see a statue that honors the war hero Benedict Arnold and a tour of Moosehead Brewery, Fundy National Park for great hiking, you can easily do a day trip or overnight to PEI, overnight to Halifax is worth it to see the citadel and Peggy's Cove.

I hate PEI for a number of reasons, but can see why some people find it quaint and nice, just be ready to drive really slow and to vacuum red dust from your car for the next 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The over-wash at Rodanthe during storms is getting to be a regular event (see article in WashPo from today below.) Historically, I believe there was an inlet there at one point, and there was a wooden road further inland on pilings. You used to be able to see this structure in the wildlife refuge, but I am sure it is long gone now. Maintaining that section of asphalt is very expensive, but the loss of tourist dollars would be even more costly. However, I doubt anything they do is going to be a permanent fix.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...storm-climate/

So something to figure into your travel plans down south.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-12-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sebago Lake in Maine is a favorite of mine. Easy to do a trip that can take in the White Mountains, Sebago Lake and Portland ME to give you your fill of outdoor hiking/biking/climbing, waterfront/boating and food/culture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sebago has to be my favorite Northeastern Summer locale.
    Leisurely road and dirt road riding abounds, Some of the best modern mtb in the Northeast 45min away in North Conway, and 45ish minutes to Portland if you wanna go see the lawyers day drinking at Gritty’s.

Nothing beats a cottage on the lake. Just find the right one, or rent an RV and find the loveliest lakefront campsite you can. Boat rentals have gotten pretty damn expensive, but your kids will always remember the journey through the Songo river and lock system, snagging some Moxie from a store only reachable by water and finding the biggest rocks to jump off of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revisiting this thread with an Outer Banks question. Based on the suggestions here, I booked a trip with the family to the OB. Got a nice Air BnB. I think.

This morning I get a message from the host: “To manage your expectations, we want you to know the OB can be hot and humid, perfect environment for insects. You may encounter insects around the house and sometimes in the house” They go onto say they keep the house clean, have an exterminator etc, but if you see bugs in the house it’s not a reason to ask for a refund.

How concerned should I be? Seems like a form email on the one hand; on the other hand, why would you need such expectation management unless there’s a real problem and they don’t want to forfeit the rental?

Part of me wants to bail and get a hotel. I have a 5 days before we leave. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the OB being an insect paradise to the level that would require a warning. I have a friend in SC: She’s got lizards, not bugs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Revisiting this thread with an Outer Banks question. Based on the suggestions here, I booked a trip with the family to the OB. Got a nice Air BnB. I think.

This morning I get a message from the host: “To manage your expectations, we want you to know the OB can be hot and humid, perfect environment for insects. You may encounter insects around the house and sometimes in the house” They go onto say they keep the house clean, have an exterminator etc, but if you see bugs in the house it’s not a reason to ask for a refund.

How concerned should I be? Seems like a form email on the one hand; on the other hand, why would you need such expectation management unless there’s a real problem and they don’t want to forfeit the rental?

Part of me wants to bail and get a hotel. I have a 5 days before we leave. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the OB being an insect paradise to the level that would require a warning. I have a friend in SC: She’s got lizards, not bugs!
    I'd call and ask what's up. The summer has been very hot down there, so who knows. But it also might be a string of oversensitive tenants.
    Last edited by j44ke; 08-19-2022 at 10:38 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called a friend in SC (yes, not exactly the same thing!) and she hasn't had bug issues. AirBnB said to ignore the message and contact them if there are issues: they have a whole department dedicated to resolving bug refunds. Take pictures, they said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post

I guess the question is what kind of insects. The outer banks can be buggy in terms of mosquitos, and one year our house’s pool area was crawling with spiders, but indoors bugs seems to be more an issue with maintenance and upkeep.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a season where the palmetto bugs (type of large roach) take flight and end up everywhere. They are the kind that you have to whack twice with a good-sized shoe to make sure they are dead. Pretty durable critters. They are not indoor roaches though. They just end up there when the season is on. So I could see someone getting freaked out if their stay coincided with increased activity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12