User Tag List

Thread: Paige Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paige Tools

I am just trying to assemble some of the tools to start frame building. It is going very slow with being in Canada and supply chain issues. Anything that is specialty is nearly impossible to get here. I have read Doug's post on using propane. So far I have a Devbliss 525 (I managed to buy a new one) a Uniweld 71 handle that I found at an old plumbing shop and I have a Victor UN-J elbow on order to go with that.

I was looking at Paige Tools to get started and their small set comes with tip size 2 and 3. The Victor TEN nozzles are available here, but they are $90-$150 each. I know Doug spoke highly of the Paige nozzles and after shipping and exchange they will be much cheaper for me. Will the size 2 and 3 suffice for getting started? I still need hoses, flashback arrestors and a regulator for propane. If anyone has recommendations for those items, I am all ears.

I figured this would be pricey (it is) but didn't expect to have such an issue finding stuff. I have been reading through this forum a ton, but sometimes that confuses me more than helps :) Thanks for all the info regardless.
    Sean Stephenson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paige Tools

The Paige #2 and #3 tips are really small and I wouldn't recommend them for most framebuilding operations. They would be okay for fillet brazing and small braze-ons. Their #4 and #5 would be better for general purpose stuff. You might consider the Victor clone Genetic TEN single flame tips. These are way cheaper than the TEN tips Victor makes. They use a slightly different numbering system but it is easy to make the conversion. A Gentec 883TEN-3 = Victor® TEN 3. They aren’t quite as nice but they work fine. You can buy them for $11 each + S&H at www.torchtools.com I have no idea if they ship to Canada. At that price I suggest you get 4 tips: 1, 2, 3, 4 but by far the ones you would use the most are numbers 2 and 3. The smaller numbers I like to use for fillet brazing or small braze-ons. The #4 is for brazing a bottom bracket shell or fork crown. These will just screw right onto your UN-J and you can now practice your heart out with them. Paige tips (that I like a little better but not always) require an adaptor between the UN-J and the tips.

Another company that sells both single and multi-flame brazing tips with Victor threads is the G-TEC company (which stands for Gas-tec if you are searching online): http://www.gastec.com/torchtips.html...xersForBrazing Their phone number is 1-800-451-8294. I know, G-TEC and Gentec are close enough in spelling it is easy to get them confused. Their single flame tips are made out of brass instead of copper. Technically that isn’t as good but for our purposes I doubt it makes any real difference. You aren’t going to be using them that long that they start to melt. They cost $12 each. Their Multi-flame tips are a nice combination of brass at the threads and copper by the tip. They cost $24 each. I like to use those for bigger joints. If you are going to buy from them instead of Paige, I’d get 3 tips: 2-TEN. 3-TEN (single flame tips) and their TEN-3 (multi-flame tip).

I like multiport tips and Paige tips work well. You just need the biggest ones and their UN adaptor. Richard kind of makes it challenging to get just those three without including others you won’t need as much in a set. Eventually you might want all of them starting with a #2 but the entire set is not necessary for starting out.

Almost any regulator will work with propane, the bigger the diaphragm the better. I would think your local welding supply store would have one. In the States they average about $100. For hoses you will prefer a light hose. They aren’t necessary but they work better for a beginner than a heavier hose that restricts hand motions somewhat. TM Technologies has them for $49. In fact they have everything you need. It works well to keep your propane tank somewhat away from your work station and you might want to consider 3/16” T grade hoses so you can hang your hoses from the ceiling to keep them from dragging on the floor. There might be some necessary fittings to connect everything together

Besides your flashback arrestor on your regulator (there are 2 kinds, make sure you get the kind that goes on a regulator and not a torch handle), you will want check valves on your torch handle. Just another safety feature. All of these items are available from TM including all the connectors and fittings. I really like their multi-flame tips too. The problem is that you will need the adaptor from Paige to make them work with your UN-J. Their sizing numbers are a bit bigger than Paige’s. In other words a Meco #5 is bigger and puts out more heat than a Paige #5 tip. Meco’s side flames are smaller than Paige’s. TM ships internationally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are an encyclopedia of knowledge Doug, thanks so much. I haven't got this torch running yet, but I am getting excited. I was looking at torchtools website on my phone, but it was very confusing. I think I need to fire up my computer and spend some time. Thanks again for the guiding hand.
    Sean Stephenson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU View Post
    You are an encyclopedia of knowledge Doug, thanks so much. I haven't got this torch running yet, but I am getting excited. I was looking at torchtools website on my phone, but it was very confusing. I think I need to fire up my computer and spend some time. Thanks again for the guiding hand.
    The Torch Tools website is a mess! You have to know what you want to buy because the website isn't going to help you figure it out. That is why I left you with suggestions. I called one time to order some years ago. I could hear his kids in the background. I wasn't sure I had the right number at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    The Torch Tools website is a mess! You have to know what you want to buy because the website isn't going to help you figure it out. That is why I left you with suggestions. I called one time to order some years ago. I could hear his kids in the background. I wasn't sure I had the right number at first.
    It also doesn't seem to load on my phone very well. Will check it out on my computer tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Sean Stephenson