Thread: The bottom line: floor paints

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default The bottom line: floor paints

Hi Team-
    We have a barn with a semi-finished second floor where my office & trainer setup live. I’m looking to repaint the floor, which was painted when it was built. I’d also like to paint the wooden steps (just built with dimensional lumber) leading to the upstairs. I’ve painted a lot and get paint prep; my questions are specifically:
    - what paints do you like for somewhat high traffic floor application?
    - the paint I’m going over has held up pretty well and I’m planning to just clean & light sand then do a couple of fresh coats. Would you prime?
    - recommended primer for the bare wood steps?
    Thanks,
    JC
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The bottom line: floor paints

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    Hi Team-
    We have a barn with a semi-finished second floor where my office & trainer setup live. I’m looking to repaint the floor, which was painted when it was built. I’d also like to paint the wooden steps (just built with dimensional lumber) leading to the upstairs. I’ve painted a lot and get paint prep; my questions are specifically:
    - what paints do you like for somewhat high traffic floor application?
    - the paint I’m going over has held up pretty well and I’m planning to just clean & light sand then do a couple of fresh coats. Would you prime?
    - recommended primer for the bare wood steps?
    Thanks,
    JC
    I'd use an oil-based porch and floor paint, and I'd use it for a primer too. It gets into the grain of the wood and makes it harder and stronger. Make sure you are well ventilated and/or wear a respirator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like wood, so I'd use a durathane top coat and just enjoy the wood
    if i did paint and was worried about wear, I'd use an epoxy system like used for garage floors, I believe best results with an epoxy-coating primer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Porch and Floor paint (latex) with Bullseye 1-2-3 for a primer with great results on the stairs leading from my 1st to 2nd floor. No peeling/chipping/flaking whatsoever.
    I prefer latex for easier cleanup.

What I am more interested in suggesting is, I recommend something to provide good traction going up/down those stairs, particularly if you'll be in cycling shoes.

While going down the stairs in my cycling shoes to my basement to ride rollers, I once slipped on the painted stairs. Once was enough.

If your stair steps have a squared edge, they'll likely suffer wear and damage with time, as mine were.

I took a two-pronged approach but quite frankly, I think either solution would do.

Stair Treads.jpeg

I bought the anti-slip tape in a 4" width. I cut it to length, then radiused the corners using a quarter as a template, to prevent sharp corners from lifting up.

I installed the tape first, intending it to be the only solution. I placed it 1" from the edge of the stair tread to maximize foot contact.

The eliminate wear to the cheap dimensional lumber of my steps, I bought metal stair nosing. Easy to cut with a hacksaw and cheapo miter box, durable, strong, provides a grippy surface for shoes, and I haven't slipped a second time.

In fact, that's just regular exterior latex wall paint you see on the stairs, and it's been durable too.