Thread: Ukraine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I don't know if you consider Foreignpolicy.com as MSM, but this writer is non-US and makes a strong argument against the leftist armchair analysis you continually post here.

Russia's Brutal Honesty has Destroyed the West's Appeasers

"Yet six months into this brutal war, there are still plenty of Western intellectuals, politicians, journalists, and activists willfully ignoring what Russia itself is telling them again and again, loud and clear. As a Russian journalist now in exile, I find this willful ignorance of my country deeply disturbing. Some of these pundits insist that there is a “peaceful” solution—which usually translates to stopping weapons deliveries to Ukraine and leaving the country to Russian leader Vladimir Putin to pick apart—or that the conflict is about the Kremlin’s “interests” or “security concerns.” All the while, the evidence of Russia’s actual goals and war crimes in Ukraine has become ever more overwhelming."
    What, exactly, do you claim my stances on the Ukrainian situation are?
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    What, exactly, do you claim my stances on the Ukrainian situation are?
    Your stance is scattered across the preceding 23 pages of this thread. Your world view seems colored by the anti-Western ideology mentioned in the article above, and consequently, your condemnation of Putin is always followed by a 'but'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Your stance is scattered across the preceding 23 pages of this thread. Your world view seems colored by the anti-Western ideology mentioned in the article above, and consequently, your condemnation of Putin is always followed by a 'but'.
    As it relates to what I’ve written here your article is largely a collection of straw man arguments that don’t address root causes of the conflict; it is clear that the war is horrific, war crimes are being committed, a peaceful conclusion impossible at this point, Putin is trying to do what the author asserts, etc.; that’s neither news nor surprise.

The US and rest of the world should aid Ukraine as much as possible short of starting WWIII. That’s now, after Humpty Dumpty was pushed off the wall. The trick was to prevent the push. Instead, the US spent decades incrementally generating a situation which would make this outcome more likely. Those who warned against our continuing pressure were sidelined; the Victoria Nuland types carried the day and as predicted by more folks than Mearsheimer, Putin finally had enough. It’s got nothing to do with being anti-western or “left”.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it relates to what I’ve written here your article is largely a collection of straw man arguments that don’t address root causes of the conflict; it is clear that the war is horrific, war crimes are being committed, a peaceful conclusion impossible at this point, Putin is trying to do what the author asserts, etc.; that’s neither news nor surprise.

The US and rest of the world should aid Ukraine as much as possible short of starting WWIII. That’s now, after Humpty Dumpty was pushed off the wall. The trick was to prevent the push. Instead, the US spent decades incrementally generating a situation which would make this outcome more likely. Those who warned against our continuing pressure were sidelined; the Victoria Nuland types carried the day and as predicted by more folks than Mearsheimer, Putin finally had enough. It’s got nothing to do with being anti-western or “left”.
    If you think Russia/Ukraine are a standalone not broader global implications conflict, then maybe the argument holds water. But in a broader context of China-Taiwan, I think this is a win. After watching China boil the frog in Hong kong over 20+ years since handover, I don't think I want to see them boil the frog in Taiwan. I totally understand Pelosi's move. After seeing the economic costs of an invasion, I do not think XI has the political goodwill internally to pull off a move before Nov 2022 elections. Maybe if he wins another term in Nov 2022, he'll roll the dice. Not sure what a winning hand is here.

I can hardly wait until 2026 Winter Olympics since Putin always seems to want to invade a country post Olympics.

As crazy as it sounds, I think the threat of WW3 is actually the only thing that makes one safe. MAD is crazy, but it has worked for 60 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you think Russia/Ukraine are a standalone not broader global implications conflict, then maybe the argument holds water. But in a broader context of China-Taiwan, I think this is a win. After watching China boil the frog in Hong kong over 20+ years since handover, I don't think I want to see them boil the frog in Taiwan. I totally understand Pelosi's move. After seeing the economic costs of an invasion, I do not think XI has the political goodwill internally to pull off a move before Nov 2022 elections. Maybe if he wins another term in Nov 2022, he'll roll the dice. Not sure what a winning hand is here.

I can hardly wait until 2026 Winter Olympics since Putin always seems to want to invade a country post Olympics.

As crazy as it sounds, I think the threat of WW3 is actually the only thing that makes one safe. MAD is crazy, but it has worked for 60 years.
    I'm laughing and simultaneously shaking my head in wonderment. I don't think I want to pull the loose thread on that sweater, and I'm late for drum practice.
    Cheers.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm laughing and simultaneously shaking my head in wonderment. I don't think I want to pull the loose thread on that sweater, and I'm late for drum practice.
    Cheers.
    This is a totally lame. If your life is so busy and time so valuable, why are you arguing geopolitical issues on a bike forum? Bring it back up a notch here.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This is a totally lame. If your life is so busy and time so valuable, why are you arguing geopolitical issues on a bike forum? Bring it back up a notch here.
    It’s a practical decision. I’m afraid you’ll just have to live with the disappointment!
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a practical decision. I’m afraid you’ll just have to live with the disappointment!
    That was a request as a moderator. Obviously you have a lot to do.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books