Thread: Go-to Beef Chili Recipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Go-to Beef Chili Recipe?

Hi all,
    Not looking for fancy; looking for an everyday, comfort food, spicy beef chili recipe. Slow cooker or stovetop/oven. Whatcha got?
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Go-to Beef Chili Recipe?

Hey John, this recipe is one we've had in our little recipe book for years--from my wife's college roommate whom we will see tonight for the Super Bowl. I'm making this in her honor. It's precisely the type of recipe you requested--nothing exotic, but good! Handwritten, but should be readable. HTH, Tim

Double recipe looks like this (I use ground venison and one can of kidney beans and one can of Cannellini beans, btw):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is simple, some will turn their nose, but I've won a couple of church or neighborhood chili cook offs, very informal mind you, to the chagrin of some folks who really put in some time on their pot. We make this for large gatherings, and I use it on Navajo tacos as well.
    Saute onions, add ground beef, seasoning with salt and pepper. Then add taco seasoning, one packet per pound of hamburger (Those small packetes of McCormicks taco seasoning etc)don't over work the hamburger but saute till browned and crumbly. Just before it's done add tomato paste for a beefier flavor.
    Then in go the beans, we call this Five Bean Chili, so we do several kinds: pinto, kidney, navy, black, garbanzo, whatever you like. I tend to add about half of them with juice, then retain the rest of the juice to add as needed.
    To this add diced tomatoes and at the end lately I've started to add canned corn for color--no juice from the corn, drain it first.
    I've given no amounts, all this is done proportionally, visually, and to taste.
    Some in my family like it served with sour cream and cheese.
    As I said, it's very simple...but some will say it's the best they've ever had. It makes real chili people very angry.
    bruceking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Both sound & look awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re not fancy here. McCormick chili mix, beef, tomatoes, celery, onions, bell peppers, beans.

I often add in maple syrup and/or some dark beer if I have any on hand.

Top with cheddar cheese or sour cream and I put pickled jalapeños on mine and a bit more hot sauce.

My kids made cornbread muffins today to go with. I prefer regular tortilla chips but we cater to all sorts in this house.

In my Christmas stocking I got a four pack set of tiny dropper bottles of pure pepper extract. One is Carolina reaper and have never heard of the rest. I’ll probably set some of the chili aside in a smaller pot and experiment a bit.

Rams by 6.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 02-13-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ooh the beer is a good call. And I can see the sweetness of the syrup or brown sugar balancing the heat. I did kind of a mashup of the above with some extra ground hot peppers-very tasty and fits the bill! Hadn’t thought of celery…maybe next time. I like the idea of corn for the sweetness too. 👍

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm serving Chili this is what I make. Red beans made with salt, a little EVO and some fatback. Served on the side.
    https://whatscookingamerica.net/soup/tolbertchili.htm

I'd be pretty darn happy with Tim's recipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    Hey John, this recipe is one we've had in our little recipe book for years--from my wife's college roommate whom we will see tonight for the Super Bowl. I'm making this in her honor. It's precisely the type of recipe you requested--nothing exotic, but good! Handwritten, but should be readable. HTH, Tim

Double recipe looks like this (I use ground venison and one can of kidney beans and one can of Cannellini beans, btw):

Made this last night. Fantastic Chili. Thanks for posting the recipe. Wish i had made a double batch!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my chile recipe from a post by Garro here and it's terrific. I add onion garlic some cumin and a little tomato paste.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    That's not bad!
    A couple things: "Chilis" grow on bushes. Meat + spices and chilis = "Chile"
    Red = Beef. Green = Pork.
    Chile does not have beans - that's Frijoles con carne.
    You want a big cheaper cut like a pot roast, 4-5lbs.
    Take Red Chili pods and soak them in boiling water until soft, then chop in a blender - next, take the resulting paste & force it through a colender - now you have "Red chili"
    When your roast is falling apart (roast in a dutch oven at 275*F with one or two beers - don't let it get dry & keep the lid on) pull it apart with a meat fork and add the red chili, only cooking until hot, or you will over cook the chili, turning it too dark.
    You can eat this as-is or use for tamale filling.
    - Garro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have extra time and inclination... this is my go-to: America's Test Kitchen's "Best Ground Beef Chili" and it sure lives up to the name.

https://www.kcet.org/food-discovery/...und-beef-chili

This ground beef chili from Cook's Illustrated uses 85 percent lean ground beef for richness and flavor.

We use only small amounts of pureed whole canned tomatoes and pinto beans to create a thick, rich dish that is best served over white rice and/or with tortilla chips. To keep the meat moist and tender, we treat it with salt and baking soda. Both ingredients help the meat hold on to moisture, so it doesn’t shed liquid during cooking. This means that 2 pounds of beef can be browned in just one batch. We also simmer the meat for 90 minutes to fully tenderize it. Finally, our homemade chili powder uses a combination of toasted dried ancho chiles, chipotle chiles in adobo, and paprika, along with a blend of herbs and spices to round it out. We make sure to stir in any fat that collects on the top of the chili before serving since it contains much of the flavor from the fat-soluble spices in the chile powder.

Best Ground Beef Chili
    Serves 8 to 10

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds 85 percent lean ground beef
    2 tablespoons plus 2 cups water
    Salt and pepper
    ¾ teaspoon baking soda
    6 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and torn into 1-inch pieces
    1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed (¼ cup)
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    1 (14.5-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped fine
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1—2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
    1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    Lime wedges
    Coarsely chopped cilantro
    Chopped red onion

INSTRUCTIONS

Diced avocado, sour cream, and shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese are also good options for garnishing. This chili is intensely flavored and should be served with tortilla chips and/or plenty of steamed white rice.

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Toss beef with 2 tablespoons water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and baking soda in bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside for 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, place anchos in Dutch oven set over medium-high heat; toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes, reducing heat if anchos begin to smoke. Transfer to food processor and let cool.

3. Add tortilla chips, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, coriander, oregano, thyme, and 2 teaspoons pepper to food processor with anchos and process until finely ground, about 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl. Process tomatoes and their juice in now-empty workbowl until smooth, about 30 seconds.

4. Heat oil in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef and cook, stirring with wooden spoon to break meat up into 1/4-inch pieces, until beef is browned and fond begins to form on pot bottom, 12 to 14 minutes. Add ancho mixture and chipotle; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.

5. Add remaining 2 cups water, beans and their liquid, sugar, and tomato puree. Bring to boil, scraping bottom of pot to loosen any browned bits. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook until meat is tender and chili is slightly thickened, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

6. Remove chili from oven and let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in any fat that has risen to top of chili, then add vinegar and season with salt to taste. Serve, passing lime wedges, cilantro, and chopped onion separately. (Chili can be made up to 3 days in advance.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
    Made this last night. Fantastic Chili. Thanks for posting the recipe. Wish i had made a double batch!!!
    Thanks, it's such a simple, good, everyday recipe that you can dress up any way you want. I've made it both mild and really hot. I'll defer to Garro as to what to call it because it's not remotely a purist item, for sure! I'm glad you liked it; it went fast at half time last night!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only made this once as my partner isn't much of a meat eater but it knocked my socks off.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/r...ili-con-carne/