Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Stoves oh my

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gas Stoves oh my

The latest suburban bad news that will cause all VS cooks to run screaming from their home is that gas stoves are the devil incarnate. Given no gas leaks and liberal use of the vent I'm quite ready to kick old fateful to the curb.

Induction stoves leave me uninspired but they make a ton of sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gas Stoves oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You'll have to pry my grandmother's hand-me-down aluminum sauce pan from my cold dead hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How will we cook Spaghetti a la Vigliacca?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    How will we cook Spaghetti a la Vigliacca?
    First, last, and only question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our cook top has all sorts of piping and computerized whatsits to control emissions. However, the way it is controlling emissions right now is by being broken. The computer whatsits lost their brain and a new brain took a slow boat from Italy. Install scheduled in a couple weeks.

This is the induction mamba I'd get. https://www.gaggenau.com/us/products...ction/CX492611

I mean, if everything comes with a computer regulator, even gas, then why not go for the full monty.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The latest suburban bad news that will cause all VS cooks to run screaming from their home is that gas stoves are the devil incarnate. Given no gas leaks and liberal use of the vent I'm quite ready to kick old fateful to the curb.

We put an induction stove in our house in Beechworth for a couple of reasons, one related to the Passivhaus principles on which I designed the house and the other related to the catastophic effects of gas bottles in the Black Saturday event at Marysville.

We are very happy with its performance: as long as your cookware suits* it gives very fast response and superb modulation.

To cook a steak to perfection: plain iron pan, steak on its edge (rendering) on 6 until it falls over then 90 seconds a side on 8, ten minutes on 1 to rest, serve.

*Our kids weren't leaving home so we did; we left much of the old cookware behind with them so we were going to buy new cookware anyway.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gas stoves are the devil incarnate
    Yeah... I'm not sure I'm convinced. I know you're turning up the amp for dramatic effect, but care to share a source or other info?

We probably all know by now that running an unvented stove in a small space ain't the greatest idea long term. Stipulated.

But if you've got a vent hood properly running at 300 CFM, I don't think I've ever seen evidence that a normal gas stove presents an air quality hazard.

If the devilishness is that they burn a fossil fuel (that comes to me from North Dakota where it will otherwise be flared off as waste, best case, or just let fly, worst case) I'm not sure how replacing my three year old gas range with a brand new electrical unit is going to result in net reduction of emissions. There's a whole lot of carbon embodied in my existing range, and I'd be creating a whole lot more by buying a new one. And that's all best case scenario that my electricity is coming from a renewable source.

Help me out here, Tall One.
    Last edited by caleb; 01-28-2022 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb--the response is to new data that shows old stove leaking a bit too much unburnt methane when off. Similar to how leaky toilet flaps cause almost unimaginable wasted water. I don't have the source right here... but that's the new worry.

Here in California, many counties and cities now, and I think the whole state soon, will not allow new construction to install gas. Part of it is the fossil fuel issue, part of it is the earthquake issue, part of it is our defective public utilities commission and PG&E blowing up neighborhoods with unmaintained gas lines.

I'll die with my gas range and my 1200cfm remote blower hood (for a 30" stove), but I will fully admit: induction is 100% the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Caleb--the response is to new data that shows old stove leaking a bit too much unburnt methane when off. Similar to how leaky toilet flaps cause almost unimaginable wasted water. I don't have the source right here... but that's the new worry.
    Thanks. Is the methane a climate concern or an indoor air quality concern? Because with two big dogs we've got plenty of indoor gas concerns already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Thanks. Is the methane a climate concern or an indoor air quality concern? Because with two big dogs we've got plenty of indoor gas concerns already.
    It is a climate concern. The goal of the study was to find sources of all the "extra" methane entering the environment. Here's the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/c...emissions.html
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-28-2022 at 09:58 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how all the unburnt sources of methane (that is, via the fuel extraction route) compare to the amount of methane seeping out of the Russian tundra right now (never mind any reasonable projection).
    I have a friend who is in a tizzy about the stove thing; while I'm not saying it's insignificant, seems like we have bigger fish to fry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The possibility of my stove leaking pales in comparison to the methane emissions from livestock and rice production. Also, with 20% of US electricity generation coming from renewable resources, that still leaves natural gas, coal and nuclear power generating the bulk of the electricity and gas and coal account for 60%; nuclear power 20%. So the majority of electricity generated to power an electrical cooktop relies on fossil fuel, which I assume is dependent on where one lives. In terms of fuel stats, I’m only referring to the US and this is certainly a hot topic, as every singe one of my clients wants to know the impact that their buildings are having and going to have on the environment.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ethane-sources

https://essd.copernicus.org/articles/12/1561/2020/

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...-in-the-us.php
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    I wonder how all the unburnt sources of methane (that is, via the fuel extraction route) compare to the amount of methane seeping out of the Russian tundra right now (never mind any reasonable projection).
    I have a friend who is in a tizzy about the stove thing; while I'm not saying it's insignificant, seems like we have bigger fish to fry.
    You can use a turducken deep fat fryer to fry that fish. Just make sure it is thawed and not frozen or it will end up getting launched onto the neighbor’s roof.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-29-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indoor air quality is my main concern. After reading up some I'm more vigilant to use the vent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indoor air quality is my main concern. After reading up some I'm more vigilant to use the vent.
    If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably get a hood that syncs with the stove to automatically turn on and vary the flow depending on the amount of gunk in the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't quite understand the concern in OP -- gas stoves are bad because they impact indoor air quality? -- but I will say that after learning to cook on an electric range way back in the late 1960s, and then having gas ranges everywhere I lived for the next ~50 years, and only just recently getting a new apartment with an electric range, I am quite positive that cooking on an electric stove sucks. Indoor air quality be damned, I will go to my death clutching my gas stove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing to worry about in indoor air is radon.
    Some radon comes into the home with the gas burned in a stove, but it looks like that is not a large amount.
    Looks like the worst place for radon is western Pennsylvania (from the Marcellus shale), where I grew up.

EPA has a big page of info about indoor air quality:
    https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...qualityhttp://

Another radon link of interest is:
    https://www.alleghenyfront.org/is-th...ur-radon-risk/
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cooking over the wet, low-temperature flame of natural gas is weak sauce. Indoor air quality be damned — cook over a coal fire! Good, hard anthracite coal.

Having had a pizza from one of Frank Pepe’s places recently, I know this to be true.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I live 20 miles north of BFE, AZ. I cook with propane, but we're better than most, our tank is buried.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my induction. Super clean, easy, and safe. I've had gas and electric heat element (glass top), and induction out performs both by far.

My preference: Induction>>>Gas>Electric (heat element)
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast