User Tag List

Thread: Garmin 1030 available for target practice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Garmin 1030 available for target practice

I've got two Garmin 1030s. After replacing my ancient Macbook Pro with a new unit (Monterey 12.0.1) mounting the 1030 as a drive has become a nightmare.

Using Garmin Express I sometimes will get some luck which is some sorry report eh?

After many years of dealing with hinky Garmin products I'm about done.

#postnote - Using my budget friendly Windoze business computer the 1030 connects immediately. I hate that.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-26-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Garmin 1030 available for target practice

My 1030 has been trouble free (I am sure I just jinxed myself) for the last 18 months, but before that it was crazy how randomly it would sync/not sync/partially sync- find the phone, not find the phone aaaargh….
    When you get thirsty, remember- Four out of Five Great Lakes Prefer Michigan

DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've got two Garmin 1030s. After replacing my ancient Macbook Pro with a new unit (Monterey 12.0.1) mounting the 1030 as a drive has become a nightmare.

Using Garmin Express I sometimes will get some luck which is some sorry report eh?

After many years of dealing with hinky Garmin products I'm about done.

#postnote - Using my budget friendly Windoze business computer the 1030 connects immediately. I hate that.
    It may be a security/privacy setting in Apple’s new OS. A lot of Garmin doohickeys got blocked. Change setting for Garmin Express thusly (instructions are for Base Camp but evidently same for Express.)

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...devicenotfound
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-26-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    It may be a security/privacy setting in Apple’s new OS. A lot of Garmin doohickeys got blocked. Change setting for Garmin Express thusly (instructions are for Base Camp but evidently same for Express.)

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...devicenotfound
    Bean there done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJB View Post
    My 1030 has been trouble free (I am sure I just jinxed myself) for the last 18 months, but before that it was crazy how randomly it would sync/not sync/partially sync- find the phone, not find the phone aaaargh….
    ....as in your hitch your 1030 via usb to your Mac/Apple PC and the Garmin is visible as a mounted drive?

You have the magic my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bean there done that.
    Okay, can you connect to them using the iPhone app? Used to be that a conflict would arise and the update from Garmin to fix it couldn’t get through on the computer because the conflict broke that - but the iPhone app could connect and then you could update the Garmin from that direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, can you connect to them using the iPhone app? Used to be that a conflict would arise and the update from Garmin to fix it couldn’t get through on the computer because the conflict broke that - but the iPhone app could connect and then you could update the Garmin from that direction.
    Strong effort my good friend but no soap. When these rapscallions do connect via Garmin Express first thing I do is update them.

The most plausible issue is that all macbooks prior to my new job had USB2 ports. These new laptops ONLY have USB-C thus requiring use of a "hub" which you plug into the laptop...with me so far? (OY). The Garmin is not reliably recognized as a drive, rather it is seen as simply needing power.

Folks claiming VICTORY say they use a "genuine" Garmin "data" usb cord. Harrumph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folks claiming VICTORY say they use a "genuine" Garmin "data" usb cord. Harrumph.
    Put me in this category. I use a PC, but my 530 only plays nice with a couple of USB cords out of the pile of ~20. Plugged directly into the computer, no hub, and it's definitely picky about which cord.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for someone who doesn't use GPS but would consider something to help navigate? I have an iphone but little patience for mucking with gadgets.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing with usb is there are different standards versions of the protocol, different device classes and different connector types but there is not exact and strict corelation between connector type and usb protocol standard and the capabilities of the cables are rarely advertised on the cable itself. Add in some incorrect implementations from hardware manufacturers, badly made devices, adapters and it became a shitshow for the consumer. It was supposed to be the one and only type of connector you needed for anything, and it some extend it succeeded a bit compared to the myriads of multipin connectors of the 70's, 80's, 90's but it is still a pain in the ass sometimes to get everything right.

Yet it is still way more reliable than bluetooth.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-27-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are using a hub and not an adapter, those often create problems, not just with USB-C ports.

This is about as cleanly as you can get from a USB2 cabled device into a USB-C/Thunderbird 3 Apple computer. Use a short cable from the device into the adapter.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...f15bbd0ea4d02d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Advice for someone who doesn't use GPS but would consider something to help navigate? I have an iphone but little patience for mucking with gadgets.
    Assuming you are asking about touring, you can certainly navigate with your iPhone. That’s the easiest answer. Then you just have to figure out how to keep it charged up. A couple external batteries, perhaps one with solar charging capabilities would work, like one from Waka Waka. We’ve used a couple of those before. Can come in handy during power outages too.

Google Maps will allow you to download maps to your phone so you can use them without a data connection over cellular, something that saves batteries. There are other mapping apps like Pocket Earth that have more detailed maps and work better off-line.

I used a Wahoo Bolt to navigate around Hokkaido, Japan. Each day’s routes were built and saved on Ride With GPS. Then using the Wahoo iPhone app, I linked my Ride With GPS account with my Wahoo account. Then I could load the Hokkaido routes onto my Wahoo Bolt. Then I just selected each one (Day 1, Day 2, etc) on the Bolt before we started riding. We never had any problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Use ridewithgps.com app. Create routes with the web interface than "pin' the routes you wish to use and they will be available on your phone app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are using a hub and not an adapter, those often create problems, not just with USB-C ports.

This is about as cleanly as you can get from a USB2 cabled device into a USB-C/Thunderbird 3 Apple computer. Use a short cable from the device into the adapter.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...f15bbd0ea4d02d
    Summbit@h that worked. I've got that cord Jake and it fired right up. If it happens again, I owe you a cookie :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Garmin unit and it too has its favorite USB cable and refuses to talk with any of the others.
    Tom Ambros