User Tag List

Thread: Maaaaaan I need a break: ISO House rental 2022

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Maaaaaan I need a break: ISO House rental 2022

Looking to get out of Dodge. What I'd love to find is a whole house to rent with gravel/dirt riding out the door and is arm warmer / knee warmer friendly temps. We have a brand spanking new gravel tandem that needs to be used.

Asheville is a bit too cool right now. Temps. and riding in and around places like Saluda, SC looks great. It is hard to find reasonable rentals and NO I'm not up for dragging the trailer...she's put away for the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Maaaaaan I need a break: ISO House rental 2022

You had time in Minnesota right? Reach out to Ben Witt. All knowing bike guru for our area through his shop Heath Creek Cycles. Not sure on how soon you need a break, but we’d be later into spring!

https://www.heathcreekcycles.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Valhalla, SC. Guessing air bnb’s get cheaper as you head west along the cherokee foothills parkway aka sc rt 11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might know a place in Galax, Virginia.

I also might know a place in San German, Puerto Rico.

Otherwise, Portal, Arizona at the entry to Cave Creek in the southeast corner of Arizona. Chilly nights but warm days. And you can regulate the temp by moving up and down in altitude. Plenty of places to stay. Mostly a birdwatching destination so this is sort of the off-season for some establishments. Cave Creek Ranch rents efficiencies. So does Portal Store (or at least it used to.) Air BnB in Portal or nearby towns. Most of the roads are gravel. Plenty of climbing. Rustler Park is near the top at 8500'.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-13-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    You had time in Minnesota right? Reach out to Ben Witt. All knowing bike guru for our area through his shop Heath Creek Cycles. Not sure on how soon you need a break, but we’d be later into spring!

https://www.heathcreekcycles.com/
    Did he move into the old Mike's Bikes space?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM sent.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Augusta, GA has levees and dirt roads designated for bikes and a cool downtown. Tucson or PHX, endless miles of irrigation canal dirt roads.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. He’s off the backside of division above Good Bye Blue Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, a guy steps away for a few hrs. and you (all) abide. xxoo

Mickey > Valhalla, SC looks fantastic. I'll dive into that and report back. I like that the drive there is not awful.
    Jron > Galax!!!! Man that's kkkkkk cold. Freaky you actually know someone there. One of our camping associates lives there.
    BigBadBill > Nice. I've been circling Augusta trying to figure out if this is a good place to ride and rent for a month. Tell me more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbia County Georgia(Aka Augusta) has the excellent Forks Area Trail System(fats) awesome for a solo gravel bike(i was there for work a few weeks ago and had a blast on my Ritte. Probably too twisty for a tandem, though?
    FL panhandle is probably going to be a good balance between no knee warmers, one day(ish) drive and some lovely dirt rollers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Columbia County Georgia(Aka Augusta) has the excellent Forks Area Trail System(fats) awesome for a solo gravel bike(i was there for work a few weeks ago and had a blast on my Ritte. Probably too twisty for a tandem, though?
    FL panhandle is probably going to be a good balance between no knee warmers, one day(ish) drive and some lovely dirt rollers.
    Right on. Looking like S.Georgia or N.FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Wow, a guy steps away for a few hrs. and you (all) abide. xxoo

Mickey > Valhalla, SC looks fantastic. I'll dive into that and report back. I like that the drive there is not awful.
    Jron > Galax!!!! Man that's kkkkkk cold. Freaky you actually know someone there. One of our camping associates lives there.
    BigBadBill > Nice. I've been circling Augusta trying to figure out if this is a good place to ride and rent for a month. Tell me more.
    I haven't been to the Augusta area for several years, but it was nice then. My old employer has a large tissue and diaper plant in Beech Island which is across the river from Augusta.

We'll get our new place started next summer in north central Wyoming. We're including 2-3 RV pads near the house on our 12 acres. The whole valley is bordered by irrigation canals with sweet dirt/gravel roads, and <2 hours to the Yellowstone east entrance. You'll always be welcome there.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I haven't been to the Augusta area for several years, but it was nice then. My old employer has a large tissue and diaper plant in Beech Island which is across the river from Augusta.

We'll get our new place started next summer in north central Wyoming. We're including 2-3 RV pads near the house on our 12 acres. The whole valley is bordered by irrigation canals with sweet dirt/gravel roads, and <2 hours to the Yellowstone east entrance. You'll always be welcome there.
    We will be there my friend. I miss my S.Wyoming days for the wilderness especially.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just drove back roads from Hilton Head to Roanoke today.
    Check out the Uwharrie National Forest are in NC.

Gosh, that’s some sandy, rolling, beautiful country that has been farmland since Colonial times.
    I’ve never ridden there, but it’s bound to be a mighty fine adventure for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Just drove back roads from Hilton Head to Roanoke today.
    Check out the Uwharrie National Forest are in NC.

Gosh, that’s some sandy, rolling, beautiful country that has been farmland since Colonial times.
    I’ve never ridden there, but it’s bound to be a mighty fine adventure for a few days.
    THAT'S why I love you Mickey. You are one of the good ones.
    All the suggestions are booked in my "to do" list.

We are reserving a cottage mid-florida just below the GA border. I've been there before and the dirt road riding is spectacular. Riding into GA gets hilly. The town is a berg which is exactly what I wanted.

Ultimately, we sucked it up and committed to a long drive for a big gain.

I think maybe the next time we get this itch we'll have to "suck it up" and go to CA/NV because what the he!!? Life is short, we are tall and retired with Poodle ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    We will be there my friend. I miss my S.Wyoming days for the wilderness especially.
    The thought of retiring is what keeps me going right now. My job is hard but pays well. It comes down to when "enough is enough" and pulling the plug. The big plan is to build the place (shouse shop=house) and escape the cold months (Dec-Feb) in an RV. My idea of retirement location is the ability to head out from the house either on pavement or dirt and ride every day the weather permits. The town is Worland, located on the Bighorn River. Endless dirt opportunities and the paved roads have shoulders. Might have to load up a MTB to get to the trails in the Bighorns. Big picture, not much snow, really cold for three months, and with the right clothes, year round riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thought of retiring is what keeps me going right now. My job is hard but pays well. It comes down to when "enough is enough" and pulling the plug.
    Same. Having had a year off work was awesome. Being back is nice twice a month but when my stack of chips is big enough I’m leaving my work behind. The year off was like a dress rehearsal for retirement.

Looking forward to figuring out where cycling will be good 8-9 months of the year and where I can access cycling events within a day’s drive. Likely upper Midwest for me.

I gather a lot of folks here are ready for a change of this nature.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thought of retiring is what keeps me going right now. My job is hard but pays well. It comes down to when "enough is enough" and pulling the plug. The big plan is to build the place (shouse shop=house) and escape the cold months (Dec-Feb) in an RV. My idea of retirement location is the ability to head out from the house either on pavement or dirt and ride every day the weather permits. The town is Worland, located on the Bighorn River. Endless dirt opportunities and the paved roads have shoulders. Might have to load up a MTB to get to the trails in the Bighorns. Big picture, not much snow, really cold for three months, and with the right clothes, year round riding.
    Sure sure I know Worland. That is a good plan. When you get that trailer keep in mind I can get you into either or PA camp spot (Gettysburg) or the VA (between Roanoake and Floyd) anytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Campen Compound portable style will be at the Davidson River Campground Mon 12.27 till Friday. Weather looks nice. Will have MTB and Gravel/Road stuff at our disposal. Looking at Mill Creek Bent Creek maybe Kanuga and Dupont / Pisgah yep.
    Tim C