Thread: Internal cabling - covers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Internal cabling - covers?

Hey,
    newbie question, I'm building a frame with Di2 and hydraulic discs, with the aim of fitting both cables internally in the downtube.

I have covers for the Di2 holes, bottle boss reinforcements, with a 6mm hole.
    For the disc hoses, i was planning on using these pictured, and not using internal guide tubes in the down tube. Looking at it now, i'm wondering how much support the cable cover will give to the hole i'm putting in the down tube.

I've had a look through the previous threads and all the examples i've found of internal cabling is using internal guide tubes.
    I guess my question is, do i need to use internal guide tubes with these type of cable covers?

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Yandle

Absolute newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Internal cabling - covers?

Sorry , pictures didn't display but you can find the link on Ceeway website under "What's New"

DI2 / Cable Routing Fittings for Carbon/Aluminium/Steel Frames:

1) FE-ML-A 3 part set.

For frames (mainly carbon or alloy but also steel or stainless steel with stainless plate reinforcement below) and use with mechanical or electric cable for front and rear derailleur inside the tubes of the frame.

Base part is fixed in the frame in oval slot and glued (epoxy) into the frame. Insert part is fixed with stainless screw. The insert can be put into the base in one orientation to accept MEC cable and used as a stop. Or turned 180° and used with optional rubber fittings. See pictures below.

2) FE-ML-B. 3 part set.

For frames (mainly carbon or alloy but also steel/stainless steel with stainless plate reinforcement below) using mechanical cable or electric cable for front and rear derailleur inside the tubes of the frame. Base part is fixed on the frame, in oval cutouts large enough for gluing (epoxy) the base into the frame.
    Insert part is bolted in with stainless screw. The insert can be put into the base in two orientations, either all closed to cables or turned 180° to accept MEC cable as a stop without the use of rubbing fittings.

3) FE-ML-C. 3 part set. Part allows complete cable through.

For frame (mainly carbon or alloy but also steel or stainless steel with optional stainless plate below). For use with mechanical or electric cable for front and rear derailleur inside tube of the frame.

Base part is fixed on the frame, in oval cutout large enough for gluing (epoxy) into the frame.
    Insert part is secured with stainless screw.

Optional parts if requested.

a) Stainless steel reinforcement plate code EXRINFEML for use with steel/stainless frames. To be silver soldered on and any of the above kits can be glued onto this.

b) Code TA-ELT (middle). To be used with FE-ML-A. To seal unit if cables are not being used.

c) Code GOM-GU (bottom left).To be used with FE-ML-A. Rubber Guide for electric cable with exit cable free angle

d) Code PA-ELT-01 (bottom right). To be used with FE-ML-A. As above but exit angle 45 degree.

Instructions

Also FE-ML-A-B 3 part set. Fully Braze in version of FE-ML-A above

Also FE-ML-B-B. Fully Braze in version of FE-ML-B above

Also FE-ML-C-B. Fully Braze in verson of FE-ML-C above
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bill,
    I'm not looking for parts - i have a cable cover - ART 141 from ceeway (on the braze ons page)

My question is do people use internal guide tubes with this type of cable cover?
    Or am i better off simply brazing on a small oval plate through which the hole for the hose can be drilled?

My concern is a naked hole in the down tube with no reinforcement, and i dont know if the cable cover is designed to give tube reinforcement, or merely look pretty.

thanks
    Mark Yandle

Absolute newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mayan42 View Post
    Thanks Bill,
    I'm not looking for parts - i have a cable cover - ART 141 from ceeway (on the braze ons page)

My question is do people use internal guide tubes with this type of cable cover?
    Or am i better off simply brazing on a small oval plate through which the hole for the hose can be drilled?

My concern is a naked hole in the down tube with no reinforcement, and i dont know if the cable cover is designed to give tube reinforcement, or merely look pretty.

thanks
    No problems with using a reinforcement ring but always a good idea to stay in the thick part of the butt and be very careful where you position the hole, especially on the downtube near the headtube as there are a lot of twisting going on up there. A full length tube would add a little strength but also requires a larger hole, check out what Nate Zukas is doing, maybe dm him as he has been using internal tubing as long as disc's have been around.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic