Thread: Need an idea for home cooked Christmas dinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need an idea for home cooked Christmas dinner

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Big slab of wild salmon grilled on a cedar plank. Can be amazingly good.
    I do this year round

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I do this year round
    We've cut back on eating fish simply because of species depletion, especially salmon over the last several years with warming trends and forest fires in spawning areas. It is a special occasion only fish for us now.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We've cut back on eating fish simply because of species depletion, especially salmon over the last several years with warming trends and forest fires in spawning areas. It is a special occasion only fish for us now.
    This is why I eat sockeye salmon. One of the largest and most sustainable commercial fisheries in the world.

As long as people can make a living from that, it's less likely Pebble Mine will come screw it all up. https://earthjustice.org/features/al...ay-pebble-mine

Also, this is a great read. https://www.paulgreenberg.org/books/four-fish/

PS Another great reason to eat sockeye is its very low toxic loading, one of the few fish that's OK for pregnant women and infants to eat.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sockeye is responsibly done. Alaska is very quick to limit fishing when stocks drop. There's also no reason to cut back on some of the farmed fish such as Arctic Char and Rainbow Trout which are responsibly grown fish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Why not Carp? In Poland this is traditional Christmas fare
    I can’t stand the small bones and otherwise blandness of carp

Also, at last count, osso buco is back on the menu (but for only once a year). But as my wife’s birthday is only a few days after, all the other suggestions are still much welcomed.

Much thanks to the suggestions i got earlier this year, we’ll cook the osso buco ultra slow this time (and have it sit in the oven for a few hours), as opposed to using the InstaPot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    My brother and I - and our families - are partial to Bo Ssam, Korean roast pork:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...mpaign=website
    Bo Ssam is amazing. We’ve done it about every four months since COVID started. David Chang has a few recipes that are easy as pie. It’s like pulled pork to the Nth degree. Lettuce cups and kimchi put it over the top.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like we’re having turkey for days. I bought a big one for the 11 we were expecting to see but now we’re in 3 groups of Covid isolation so it’s just for the 5 of us.

My parents have all the sides and my sister the dessert too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad was doing some practice runs for holiday main courses earlier last week, and the two finalists were Roast Pork shoulder cut into thick steaks and grilled with a Char Siu glaze, or deboned/stuffed turkey thighs. Both were exquisite, though the turkey was especially surprising: For something prepared exactly like one would a traditional holiday run-of-the-mill full bird, these came out distincly unique, quite delicious and special.

For seafood, I've always wanted to find a source for large monkfish steaks so I could turn that into a family-sized meal. Grill 'em or roast 'em, freakin' awesome tasting fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep Fry a frozen turkey, only because as an American, if someone tells you not to do it, you do it. What could go wrong..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're doing a Porchetta this year. Not only for the fantasticness day-off, but the leftovers are always out of this world for sandwiches cold.

Also deep fried turkey properly done is absurdly good. I get why people burn their houses down for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Circling back on the Ottolenghi lamb recipe. The marinade is honey, mint, coriander, spicy peppers, soy, lemon juice.
    It calls for a French rack of lamb but today I did a four pound shoulder on the smoker for about five hours at 275. The last ninety minutes were wrapped in foil. Let it rest and served with couscous with red peppers and onions and asparagus.

We sliced it but given the cook time you could’ve also just shredded it like pulled pork.

Definitely in my top ten recipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end, we went with osso buco, but with a twist: lamb instead of veal.

The recipe basically followed what was suggested here and on places such as The Guardian

Only "surprise" is that lamb shanks are quite a bit smaller than veal shank, but that was it. The frying was a lot easier to accomplish, and we didn't even nee to tie down the perimeter with twines. ~12-15 minutes of frying of the shanks, followed by frying of the soffrito, and onto a glass baking pan (wife put down strict orders not to buy Dutch ovens for now) everything went.

We covered the glass baking pan with aluminum foil (with slits stabbed into the foil to allow release of moisture) and baked everything for ~2.5-2.75 hours. Everything came out quite tender, and there was also a bit of caramelization. This was a lot better than the pressure cooker disaster I had earlier this year (albeit with beef shanks).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    My brother and I - and our families - are partial to Bo Ssam, Korean roast pork:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...mpaign=website
    Thanks for this. Wife just bought the pork, going to do this in the green egg grill tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Thanks for this. Wife just bought the pork, going to do this in the green egg grill tomorrow, looking forward to it!
    FWIW, whenever I make this (frequently), we used run out of the ginger scallion sauce so now I make a double batch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12