Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery - Advice on Bows & Arrows

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Archery - Advice on Bows & Arrows

I spent a lucky summer in my youth at a camp that allowed me to shoot arrows at a target for hours and hours. I didn't receive instruction, just the use of a red fiberglass bow and a box of arrows. A few weeks ago I was gabbing with one of our local biologists, and he told me about taking up bow hunting and killing his first deer the previous week. He and his partner are trying to live off the land as much as possible and as rationally as possible, and the 55lbs of venison he got from that deer is part of it. Anyway, shooting arrows at summer camp came back to me like a recovered memory, and I thought maybe I would buy a simple bow and arrow set up and put a pile of hay bales somewhere to spend some time shooting.

Everything I see online seems focused on hunting or killing your neighbor when the zombie apocalypse comes.

I'm looking for something more therapeutic and mind clearing. Some of the Japanese bows look amazing, but that may be too much aestheticism. I aspire to that kind of concentration, but not that amount of $ investment. My ancestors were from cold dark places, so maybe some other sort of stick with a string.

Bring on the knowledge.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Archery - Advice on Bows & Arrows

I took up a bow, after many years in absence, for the same reasons as your local biologists. I, like you, spent my youthful summers shooting, without much more than a point in the right direction, at a summer camp in Minnesota. I can't remember how often I hit the target, but at the time it felt like plenty.

As much as I wanted to relearn (or learn, as it were) how to use a recurve bow, I ended up purchasing a compound bow about 18 months ago in anticipation of, well, now. I've got a few other things going on, so needless to say my practice has been sporadic and similarly unguided. I set up a stack of 4 80# straw bales and used some old feed bags to paint a target on them. A lot of arrows ended up on the hillside near the bales. Eventually, they started hitting the straw. Sometimes I go months with the bow hanging in the barn. Other times I take it out daily and dial in the sight, balance the weight, and imagine myself as the 1973 Robin Hood splitting arrows. Based on what I know about you, I'd imagine your practice will end up as some semblance of this. I can offer only the basics: the more often you shoot, the better you'll be and the more naturally your body will align in all of the right places. Wear long sleeves. Don't feel bad for using a sight - they are pretty nifty. Hay bales release an arrow better than anything made of wood, but e-z out arrowheads are going to save you a lot of tugging and broken arrows. An adjustable draw weight and length means you can work your way up to something strong enough to take down your desired target (not a neighbor, I'd hope) and you can calibrate the draw length to correspond to your own comfort/arms/style. Know what you'll be aiming for and you'll get an idea of the weights you should be looking at. Most states have a minimum draw weight for particular animals, for deer that can range from as little as 30 to as much as 100 (Wisconsin has big deer, I guess?).

For the big day, assuming that's where you're headed, I'd suggest you carry something to finish the job regardless. I'm an alright shot these days, but nothing goes down without a fight. A small arm or a large knife is more likely to "end things" than the arrow you loose, at least in the realm of beginners like myself. All things considered though, our sweet dog didn't eat a single piece of kibble in his last year and the most recently taken turkey, destined for him (RIP), will now be on our dinner table this week.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't shot a bow in 20+ years, but I did it as a teenager quite a bit, along with making my own arrows.

Back then, Black Widow was a top bow maker, and it looks like they're still around: https://www.blackwidowbows.com

The other place I bought supplies from was Three Rivers, which is also still going: https://www.3riversarchery.com

That's all dated though, and given the increased interest in target archery over the past few years, there may be better options available now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Bring on the knowledge.
    It is curious how so many of us have common interests other than bicycles.

I used to make my own bows and arrows in the 1960's. Most of the components, arrow heads, fibreglass and rock maple strips etc., came from the USA. My knowledge was extensive but stopped progressing around 1972, so I await the replies of others with interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First learn how to make an arrow.

https://www.facebook.com/craftsmansl...3311198228681/

Please no threads on flint vs. steel arrow heads....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my Matthews, well Mission Ridge the less spendy version.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad had a Recurve, back in the 70's, We mostly used it in the summer to shoot fish on the North Fork River, Deer weren't very common at that time. I've only hunted them with a shotgun, that I could cloverleaf 3 shots with at 100 yards. Depending on the State DNR laws, using a pistol to kill an animal after it ha been shot with a bow might be illegal. Also look into Crossbows they are lightweight, extremely accurate, and more powerful than a standard bow. They also take less time to master but aren't legal in all states or there is an age requirement involved. I stopped hunting them because no one else in the family liked Deer and you can eat so much sausage before you got tired of it. Hunters against Hunger came out a few years later and I may have kept hunting just to donate the meat but by then all of my hunting areas had been sold or leased. Being in the woods is very cathartic, I've passed on a shot just because of the way the kight at a certain time or there were other creatures scurrying around doing something much interesting to watch. Have fun no matter what route you go.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy that my neighbors all seem to hunt deer during hunting season, but I'm not going to hunt. I put out traps for mice, spank deer on the butt with a clay pellet from a sling shot when they start chewing stuff I don't want them to destroy, but that's about it. My interest is purely in target practice. Or rather the practice of shooting an arrow into a target.

When we were in Japan, one of the temples in Kyoto had a long porch. At one end, part of the temple was riddled with holes. At the other end was where the monks shot arrows while seated. I think I'd rather stand, but that's probably where this started. Our biologist friend just restarted the memory and well, we have the space here to set something up. Maybe not on the porch though.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't hunt, but learned to shoot when........well I don't recall a time when I couldn't shoot. I did go through a period of years when I hadn't picked up a bow, but in the last few years I've really gotten back into it. For me, it's just relaxing. It takes patience and practice. Relaxing, breathing, timing.....and repeat.

I've almost always shot compound bows, but have periodically shot a recurve. I can appreciate the talents required to be accurate with a recurve, but I prefer the precision, especially at distance, I can achieve with a compound bow.

Just my opinion, I don't find shooting a recurve or long bow relaxing, mentally or physically. However, putting a half dozen arrows in a 3" circle from 30 yards with a sited in compound bow is satisfying.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the archery doesn’t work out I have a .50 caliber custom flintlock muzzleloader with all the accoutrements looking for a new home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    If the archery doesn’t work out I have a .50 caliber custom flintlock muzzleloader with all the accoutrements looking for a new home.
    So do you subscribe to "Vintage Gun Quarterly" ?

Does the rifle have a Reynolds or Columbus barrel ?

Aren't wheel locks better than flint locks ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    So do you subscribe to "Vintage Gun Quarterly" ?

Does the rifle have a Reynolds or Columbus barrel ?

Aren't wheel locks better than flint locks ?
    There are many Velocipede Salons for the lovers of black powder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we're talking bows and arrows, then surely this needs to be remembered too.

(We missed Saint Crispin's Day by almost exactly one month - it's the 25th of October.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shotgun season starts here tomorrow, and I'd say people are getting a jump on it, or simply are happy to blaze away. The woods are theirs for two weeks. I never worry about the archers or black powder hunters. Shotgun brings out the party animals. At least for a few days.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Shotgun season starts here tomorrow, and I'd say people are getting a jump on it, or simply are happy to blaze away. The woods are theirs for two weeks. I never worry about the archers or black powder hunters. Shotgun brings out the party animals. At least for a few days.
    We’ve had rifle season since Nov 20th. Yesterday I pulled the SD card out of the game camera and there were 3 videos of a 4 pt. buck with its lower jaw blown off. Perfectly fit everywhere else, just no lower jaw. Could see what was left of the tongue muscle working as it tried to drink from the creek. 5:51PM but total darkness. Must have been last shot of the day. Attempting a headshot in low light? Coyotes likely had a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

Back to bows, something like this seems like a good way to start.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pse-terra-longbow.html

Last edited by j44ke; 11-29-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attempting a headshot in low light?
    I'm not a hunter, but I know from personal experience that compared to the rest of the body, a deer's head is tiny. Unless they happen to be Annie Oakley, anyone more than say, 50-75 feet away going for a head shot is an idiot, and if that's what happened to that buck, that's unfortunate. (although the alternative of going for the heart area also leads to plenty of near-misses and a long, painful, and drawn-out death too)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I'm not a hunter, but I know from personal experience that compared to the rest of the body, a deer's head is tiny. Unless they happen to be Annie Oakley, anyone more than say, 50-75 feet away going for a head shot is an idiot, and if that's what happened to that buck, that's unfortunate. (although the alternative of going for the heart area also leads to plenty of near-misses and a long, painful, and drawn-out death too)
    Agreed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to bows, something like this seems like a good way to start.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pse-terra-longbow.html
    Looks like a good way to get started.

Unsolicited advice: For shooting targets, a heavy draw weight will be more harmful than helpful. Something around 35 pounds would be a good place to start especially if you're going to use carbon arrows.
    Last edited by caleb; 11-29-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Looks like a good way to get started.

Unsolicited advice: For shooting targets, a heavy draw weight will be more harmful than helpful. Something around 35 pounds would be a good place to start especially if you're going to use carbon arrows.
    Noted. I've gotten that advice a couple of places, i.e. if hay bales are your only quarry, lower draw weight makes practicing technique easier.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’ve had rifle season since Nov 20th. Yesterday I pulled the SD card out of the game camera and there were 3 videos of a 4 pt. buck with its lower jaw blown off. Perfectly fit everywhere else, just no lower jaw. Could see what was left of the tongue muscle working as it tried to drink from the creek. 5:51PM but total darkness. Must have been last shot of the day. Attempting a headshot in low light? Coyotes likely had a nice Thanksgiving dinner.
    The one and only time I ever hit a deer with my car, it's jaw bone was wedge between my quarter panel and door. It ran away seemingly unscathed (minus a jaw) and undoubtedly died eventually. I felt pretty bad about the whole thing, but it was really out of my control. I only note this because it's very plausible that the deer in your image was hit by a car instead of being shot.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast