Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archery - Advice on Bows & Arrows

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Archery - Advice on Bows & Arrows

No excuse for making a poor shot, lack of respect for the animal and bad or lack of training. I used to hunt, all of my hunting areas have been sold or leased over the years and I slowly grew out of something I grew up with. I was raised to respect the game I shot and to pass on any shot that wasn't clean. I had a free floated rifled barrel on a 12 gauge and could from put 3 rounds at a 100 yards in the bottom of a pop can, and make a large ragged hole at 50 yards with a bench rest. I never chased or lost a deer that I shot, and i shot a couple through the ears on purpose. I never shot at a running deer, good bet that's what happened here, never shot at a tail either. Made me ill to see some of the deer brought into the check in during season, most of them deserved a better hunter. Any way,

Light weight bow to start is a good bet Jorn. Even when i was in shape pulling back a 65# compound bow was chore till it broke draw and the pulleys kicked in. Can't imagine pulling a strong longbow. It's a set of muscles we don't normally use for sure. Have fun with it. I used to shoot distance with rifles and it's very relaxing because you have to focus on the task at hand and block out all the mental and physical distractions. Don't forget to breathe :>).
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been tempted to get a crossbow at times. Vermont allows older hunters to use them during bow season. The pullback is not just by muscle power.

All this talk about bows and arrows, with the occasional reference to Japan, makes me think of a great little book I once read: Zen in the Art of Archery. Highly recommended. (Even though the author has a tainted resume in other respects that I learned of later.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife thinks we need to set up a biathlon course. Snowshoe a loop, then shoot arrows into some targets, penalty loops for misses and then finish line hot chocolate. I am surprised she’s interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    The one and only time I ever hit a deer with my car, it's jaw bone was wedge between my quarter panel and door. It ran away seemingly unscathed (minus a jaw) and undoubtedly died eventually. I felt pretty bad about the whole thing, but it was really out of my control. I only note this because it's very plausible that the deer in your image was hit by a car instead of being shot.
    Ugh. Yes, definitely a possibility around here.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12