74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Devil's Work for Idle Hands

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Let's see a chair.

SPP
    Aye aye Cap'n -

Spent the morning doing the last bit of priming, then disassembling my drying racks and switching out the 32t saw blade for the 80t. Then I did some measuring and cuts to see where the blade hit the wood and how close I could go. Committed cardinal sin of using ink rather than pencil but I could not find a pencil anywhere. Checked saw blade for straightness and plumbness - seemed right on. Pete, that saw is great. Thanks for selling it to me.

I cut wood for one chair just trying to remember stuff from 20 years ago without ruining all my lumber. Then I fit the pieces together. I only had to recut one piece after making a mirror image mistake. Each side is a mirror image of each other, not the same, so screw holes were on the wrong side for one side. Then primed the cuts and tried out a fit of the assembled parts. No long clamps. All in the city. Sitting here tonight I figured out a way to do it with small clamps, but I'll get a couple longer clamps and it will make the next three chairs easier.

They will be short sit-near-the-grass-not-in-the-grass chairs with your legs out aprés hike (no footstool needed) and have a coffee. Should be fun chairs. But definitely great practice for attention to detail needed to build some Wave Hill chairs later over the winter.

Fancy outriggers. Sawhorse discards by framing carpenters somehow still standing.

Jig for making the sides.

How the sides fit onto the jig. Missing screws come from the other side to help hold the seat and back.

Left side, armrests, seat, back, right side.

A mess of a weekend upcoming, but I'll pick up clamps and see if I can bang it together before Monday.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[adds "pencils" to list]
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there were moments where I felt like I was wrestling a badger. Lost a few mm in the translation of dimensions from metric/Euro milled lumber to inch/US milled, so there was some artistry with a jig saw and the application of some clamps. I think I have it figured out for 3 more. I expect by the 4th (total) I will have it down. Might have enough wood extra for a 5th. I am not a carpenter nor a mathematician.

Extra screw holes are for increased ventilation during construction. They will get filled. My wife has decided the chairs should be Adirondack green.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-15-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude! That is nice! I now know what my spring project will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    Dude! That is nice! I now know what my spring project will be.
    Hah, that'll teach me. I've seen your beautiful guitars!

Adjusting for board thickness from the Rietveld plans to my NotQuiteRietveld plans gave me a headache, but the toughest part was getting the back and seat angle right. Going off the Rietveld drawings meant the seat was too forward and too steeply slanted. Also the space between the seat and back was too large. So I swallowed my pride and disassembled and adjusted. It also turned out to be a pretty low chair, but once the seat and back angles are dialed, it is a perfect camp chair. Feet out for sitting by the fire. The arms are 1x4 and Rietveld basically uses a 1x2 to get the inverted "L" shape for his chair's arms, but that's not wide enough for a drink. So I adjusted. I scribbled notes so hopefully I can reproduce this "prototype", but I am going to do some measuring of the chair tomorrow before starting the rest just to make sure I remember what I did.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-15-2021 at 10:16 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the arms being wider. It looks more balanced. Also I agree with you. What is a chair to relax in if can't hold a drink for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Well there were moments where I felt like I was wrestling a badger. Lost a few mm in the translation of dimensions from metric/Euro milled lumber to inch/US milled,
    Why are you translating the dimensions in the first place instead of just working in mm. That is how you screw up a spacecraft launch. You are lucky these are just chairs ;-)

What kind of angle did you settled to finally for the seat and back ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Why are you translating the dimensions in the first place instead of just working in mm. That is how you screw up a spacecraft launch. You are lucky these are just chairs ;-)

What kind of angle did you settled to finally for the seat and back ?
    I am working in metric. I have metric tape measure and square etc. from when we lived in Prague. But the wood is all in US lumber sizes, so I have to keep in my fore-brain that the wood is 1.9cm thick not 2.2cm thick when I add width with pieces horizontally. That 0.3cm (or whatever it was - I have it written in big letters now on the plans) kept biting me. So yeah, not a measuring thing, a brain thing.

Almost a 90 degree angle but slightly more open. So I'd say 105-110 degree angle? Probably the latter. I should measure. But really I set the back per the plans and adjusted the seat based on the back position.

And I am not a carpenter.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any plan for the leg bottoms? I've done a simple, thin epoxy "foot" to reduce breakdown against the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improved. But boy am I slow. I decided not to cut all the pieces for the rest of the chairs at once because I'm still adjusting. Made the seat 8mm narrower, which worked perfectly. Standardized all screw locations with a couple jigs, but that meant the front position of the seat was off again (note exposed screw on side in this photo and in the first chair photo,) so after this photo I shifted it up. Now I have that figured out and can reproduce the correct position.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-17-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    Any plan for the leg bottoms? I've done a simple, thin epoxy "foot" to reduce breakdown against the ground.
    Yes, this morning I picked up some aluminum "U" track from the hardware store that fits snugly over the feet. So I'll cut 4 pieces per chair and fix them in place with a couple counter-sunk screws.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn…IKEA called…they want to know your potential annual output and if you want to have a chair named after you.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Jorn…IKEA called…they want to know your potential annual output and if you want to have a chair named after you.
    I’m in the severely limited edition category. Who wouldn’t want a chair named after them? My name seems particularly well suited for an IKEA chair, being the name also of the Danish painter/philosopher, Asger Jorn (though he got it backwards.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’ll need to name it IKEA style …

NRÖJ perhaps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PALLFÅTÖLJ

(which is the literal translation to palette armchair according to deepl translator)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it. The more non-vowels the better.

Evidently 15 degree tilt on the back of a chair is supposed to be ergonomically ideal for a chair. I don’t know if that is relative to the plane of the seat or just 15 degrees off straight vertical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yes, this morning I picked up some aluminum "U" track from the hardware store that fits snugly over the feet. So I'll cut 4 pieces per chair and fix them in place with a couple counter-sunk screws.
    Jorn, these are pretty awesome.
    Regarding the al channel, consider drilling a couple holes in each. This will give the water an excuse to escape. Assuming these will be kept outdoors.
    Nothing worse than end grain remaining damp.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast