User Tag List

Thread: Needed: Aesthetically Pleasing Way to Keep My Dog from Falling Out of the 2nd Story

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Needed: Aesthetically Pleasing Way to Keep My Dog from Falling Out of the 2nd Story

Lenny . . .

Sweet as can be and might make Steinbeck proud.

We're on the 2nd floor and have floor to ceiling windows in our living room (with floor to ceiling screens). When one of us goes out Lenny wants to follow. If he can't get out the door he tries the window. So far just a screen popped out. But I don't trust him. . . . . . and the crows that are hanging out in the tree in front are taunting him.

Since we're in LA the windows are open all the time. And, since he's 65lbs of muscle, I'm not sure that closing them would stop him anyway. We're working on his training but remember he channels Steinbeck. So I need a a back-up.

What's out there that's better and more aesthetically pleasing than sticking a baby gate in the windows?
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Needed: Aesthetically Pleasing Way to Keep My Dog from Falling Out of the 2nd Sto

You can get accordion (or scissor) gates that bolt into the jambs and are otherwise out of site when not in use. Pretty sure custom dimensions are available. There are security versions in steel, but you probably just want brushed aluminum or similar. Probably need it the same height as the window opening, because I guarantee the dog will climb it.

On second thought, maybe just get one of these. Just make sure the bungee is the right length.

https://upliftactive.com/products/bu...ness-equipment
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Needed: Aesthetically Pleasing Way to Keep My Dog from Falling Out of the 2nd Sto

Because we are V. What immediately comes to mind are appropriate sized hardwood framing which you will apply to the face of window verticals. Before you install the hardwood thru bolt eye bolts and make the install blind on the backside. Now that you have this installed it's up to your creative genius to weave a pleasing colored climbing rope across the window frame.

Yeah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My neighbors at work had a dog leap out the 2 (maybe even 3rd, I can't remember) floor window. The dog survived with fewer injuries than you'd expect but you are right to be concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No good ideas beyond what's been said already.
    But it brings up a story.
    My daughter was recently throwing a tennis ball for her dog in a park at Santa Barbara.
    Once, she threw too hard and the ball went over the edge of an almost cliff at the edge.
    Dog flies off the edge, then more than a few seconds later, reappears - with the ball !
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots,

Idea proposed to the Boss. Promptly nixed. I liked it though.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Toots,

Idea proposed to the Boss. Promptly nixed. I liked it though.
    Gahhh. Thanks :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Europe is full of aesthetically pleasing ways to keep kids and dogs from falling out of windows:

Paris Window.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fillet brazed baby gate