Some comments in the Vaccine Thread have me thinking about just how different some folks' response to the pandemic is and has been, even within the community of the vaccinated. Specifically, how folks are weighing the acute benefit of living as safely as possible in their day-to-day life, vs. the chronic risk of living a cautious, at times boring and mostly isolated life.

I'm 42, fully vaccinated, and healthy. No kids. Work from home. My partner is the same, but has some moderate chronic health complications. We live within our means and live comfortably - in the old days this meant taking driving-distance vacations, eating out at restaurants somewhat frequently, seeing live music and other art, going to community-building happenings (yoga, meditation, art, lectures, etc.), and doing a few bike events a year. I used to travel at least monthly for work as well and could often make cycling a part of that. We'd see our immediate family that lives a few states away at least once every year or two, and our family that lives closer at least monthly, plus holidays. That all felt like a good and balanced life.

Since March 2020, all of that has gone out the window. We spent most of 2020 completely isolated, using grocery delivery services, getting take-out once a month or so, and only this year post-vax have gone back to grocery and necessities (ACE, Target, etc.) shopping in person and getting takeout 1x/wk or so. We haven't traveled beyond infrequent day-trips. We haven't eaten at a restaurant. We haven't done anything with other people beyond a singular backyard meetup with family in the post-vax, pre-Delta window this summer. I've done I think three total bike rides with another person in the last 18 months - zero group rides, zero events. I ride solo, 5-6x per week. We take walks with just the two of us and even then make an effort not to be anywhere that we'll have to come within any personal distance of anyone else. Neither of us have had haircuts, dental appointments, or anything other than a single age-determined, can't-be-avoided in-person exam. This has been our life. We've told ourselves that this is the responsible thing to do for ourselves and for society - we don't have to come in contact with others and potentially become a vector for covid transmission, so we are choosing not to. We are cutting our risk of infection to as close to zero as possible. And from a day-to-day risk mitigation perspective, that seems like the right thing to do. But is it? And at what cost?

The problem is that what was supposed to be a few month sacrifice for the good of society and to protect ourselves from getting sick has turned into a way of life that few would consider "thriving" in any traditional sense. We tell ourselves that we are fortunate to be able to make the choices we have, being able to earn a living and keep going without being forced into contact with others, and that we are still doing what is ethically right - and that if others would only do the same, maybe this could all end that much sooner. But the truth is that they aren't and it isn't. Our regional infection rates remain high and our hospitals remain full, mostly with and among unvaxxed individuals, but increasingly among vaxxed as well. Meanwhile all around us others seem to be living a life completely different than ours - they are going out to eat/drink, taking vacations, flying, seeing family, going to events and appointments, riding with groups, and seemingly only doing the minimum required by state and local mask ordinances, often just as what appears to be a performative exercise (ex. wearing a mask to enter a restaurant but then hanging out talking and eating for an hour without one on). When everyone else, at least within our demographic of somewhat progressive, non-denier folks, was sacrificing their comforts and usual fun, and staying distanced/masked to the fullest extent, it was easy to feel like we were doing what needed to be done and were members of a responsible segment of society. Now I'm not so sure. And I'm not sure how much longer we can or should keep this up. What are the chronic risks of living a life that at times feels somewhere between boring and unfulfilling, especially when you increasingly feel like you're the only one making that choice? What long-run toll is taken by missing out on experiencing life and community with your friends and loved ones who are outside your "bubble"?

I don't know anyone who wants to get covid, especially given that there are greater than winning-the-lottery chances that if you do get it you could end up with chronic issues that range from annoying to completely life-altering, or potentially bankrupting. On the other hand, making daily decisions to fully minimize your chance of getting it has both annoying and life-altering consequences.

So, how have YOU made your decisions within this whole mess of options? Do you just get vaxxed and follow the general guidelines, or go a step beyond? If the latter, how many steps beyond? If the former, how do you reconcile the exposure to certain short-run risks with long-run quality-of-life decisions? And if it has changed for you over time - why? when? and how?