Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Messin' with E-Bike riders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Messin' with E-Bike riders

Thanks for the book tip Mr. Peter. Will check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Amen to all that. Now that we've ruled out e-bikes.... Some of these small towns have surprising resources. Maybe a hold over from the Oil/Gas boom. My ideal setup is a hunk of land bordering National Forest with an RV pad, sewer, water and a big arse solar array. I'd use that for a portion of each yr.

Trout fishing sounds real good.
    Honestly, the thought of returning to Kingman, Arizona every fall was depressing. We would have an RV to travel west or south for the cold months. If we're both doing the adjunct thing, we only need the internet. We could look at the extended forecast and know when we had to be gone, although I'm not totally against doing a winter there, especially the first one with a new house. Over the years I've taken note of good RV parks in prime locations like Fredericksburg, TX, Scottsdale, San Diego, Olympic Peninsula, Northern CA, Oregon, etc. My son could be on either coast or overseas, I'm hoping he's in CA but he could easily be in Beaufort, SC, which has some nice RV parks (and an ex-wife). Over the next two years, we need to get a newer truck for the RV/horse trailer, and a newer RV. As much as I'd like a really big towed RV, we'll probably stick to less than 30' so we're not restricted as much on where we can camp. If we're doing it to escape the cold, we'll be outside living anyway.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Read the book, Billionaire Wilderness, by Justin Farrell. It explains why it's damn near impossible for middle class people to work and live in Jackson Hole. And the poor that do the dirty work live crammed in awful conditions.
    Thought the exact same thing reading Mokes post. Really worthwhile book.

The parts about the nouveau riche “slumming it” in their jeans and $70k pickup trucks thinking their employees were their buddies is particularly cringeworthy.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 09-16-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Thought the exact same thing reading Mokes post. Really worthwhile book.

The parts about the nouveau riche “slumming it” in their jeans and $70k pickup trucks thinking their employees were their buddies is particularly cringeworthy.
    Thursday at the Jackson Hole art show, we had entered the contest for best mixed media art piece which included open bar and food. They ran out of food, but not really, they didn't have the people to deliver and serve the food, even at $28/hour. The open bar was nice, especially on an empty stomach.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Thursday at the Jackson Hole art show, we had entered the contest for best mixed media art piece which included open bar and food. They ran out of food, but not really, they didn't have the people to deliver and serve the food, even at $28/hour. The open bar was nice, especially on an empty stomach.
    You can include a bunch of cities like this where e-biking is a good option (see what I did there?). Asheville for instance, the working folks can not afford to live nearby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can include a bunch of cities like this where e-biking is a good option (see what I did there?). Asheville for instance, the working folks can not afford to live nearby.
    I plan on having a cargo ebike when I snowbird. They're very convenient for grocery shopping without the hassles of parking. At this point in my life, that is my only interest in ebikes. Somewhat related, back in the early 90s, a strong female racer and I used to head out on group rides on a 3Rensho tandem. On flat roads we could hold 30+ mph so the group basically motorpaced behind us. It was cool bike, 48 spoke wheels, fattish tubulars, and a drum brake. It belonged to an LBS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan on having a cargo ebike when I snowbird. They're very convenient for grocery shopping without the hassles of parking. At this point in my life, that is my only interest in ebikes. Somewhat related, back in the early 90s, a strong female racer and I used to head out on group rides on a 3Rensho tandem. On flat roads we could hold 30+ mph so the group basically motorpaced behind us. It was cool bike, 48 spoke wheels, fattish tubulars, and a drum brake. It belonged to an LBS.
    We can hang. Mrs. Too and I used to organize a bunch of strong tandem to ride a paceline at the Seagull Century. This was a flat 100 miles. We had a good friend "Mike" on a single as tailgunner. Mike's arms are the size of my waist. He would wag a finger at anyone trying to bust up the paceline. Torturing race teams was our forte' Man, I said that out loud. The shame.

For sure, I'd be fine with an E-Cargo bike for urban errands. Bring it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We can hang. Mrs. Too and I used to organize a bunch of strong tandem to ride a paceline at the Seagull Century. This was a flat 100 miles. We had a good friend "Mike" on a single as tailgunner. Mike's arms are the size of my waist. He would wag a finger at anyone trying to bust up the paceline. Torturing race teams was our forte' Man, I said that out loud. The shame.

For sure, I'd be fine with an E-Cargo bike for urban errands. Bring it.
    I'd look at a tandem but my wife is 6'3" to my 6'1" and even if we were both in really good shape, she's probably the captain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd look at a tandem but my wife is 6'3" to my 6'1" and even if we were both in really good shape, she's probably the captain.
    LOL Stay in touch. If we fall totally in love with our new CoMotion the other one might be for sale and would fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you married your lead-out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So you married your lead-out.
    Division 1 volleyball paid for her college in the late 80s, she's got a cruiser with a basket for horse events.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember back in the day, when we'd rag on e-bikes in this thread?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Remember back in the day, when we'd rag on e-bikes in this thread?
    Yup. But I’ve tried to keep an open mind. Having ridden one in some pretty crazy hills I now get them, at least as motor-assisted bicycles. I’m still skeptical of the ones with a throttle and which require no pedaling but even they probably have a place. Just not sure that place is on the trails of DuPage County. But I’ll remain open minded now.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend who works for the local ski school in the winter. In the warmer months he works as a wrench a small town about 20 miles of very undulating roads away. He had a choice a) drive b) get about 3 buses or c) e-bike it both ways. c) is cheaper, mainly quicker, he charges it up at work, does his own maintenance (mainly brake parts which wear on these heavy things) and looks 10 years younger. Likes his beer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to ride 40km each way to work and loved it, I would happily ride that distance again if I worked a similar distance...not a chance in hell I'd lift a leg over a lazyEbike if I'm fit and capable to ride.

Sorry there's some things I just dislike about us as humans alway's taking the easy path.
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    I used to ride 40km each way to work and loved it, I would happily ride that distance again if I worked a similar distance...not a chance in hell I'd lift a leg over a lazyEbike if I'm fit and capable to ride.

Sorry there's some things I just dislike about us as humans alway's taking the easy path.
    Well, at least you're not all self-righteous about it.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I've been in lockdown for a bit too long...
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The Swamp Rabbit trail is invaded with these things. Small fat tires whirring by with no riding skills or manners. I’m waiting for the handheld emp device that renders them powerless.
    More like the swamped rabbit trail. I avoid that trail completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want one of those like they used in the World Tour a few years back. 5 minutes worth of +250 watts would be super handy in negotiating the deadlier (traffic) parts of the city.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123