Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Messin' with E-Bike riders

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Can't it be both?

Attachment 119611
    Always!

Nice looking bike.

Contained within this video is Henning Thomas from Urban Arrow who had some interesting things to say about urban environment and e-bikes.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    You tried to outrun him, and he got a free tow.

Hey, did I see Emma Pooley in that Brompton video?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine there were similar conversations 100 years ago, regarding carriages pulled by horses vs. horseless carriages. The People have invented a new mode of transport, and the government has no idea how to deal with it, or is just too caught up with other things.

E-bikes allow my 67 year old dad to go on MTB rides with me, in places we both enjoy, but he does not have the capability to get there on a non-E bike... I ride a normal bike, he rides his E-bike. I'm in favor of them, when used responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It ain't the bike it's the rider, eh?
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    how does this compare to the established entitlement

PS - everyone is entitled to be happy
    Same as it ever was.

*Yes, heaps of tongue in cheek.

Jake, bicycles are transportation. Ultimately I have utmost respect for and judge all others by utility never second to beauty, both are that important. When I see a well dressed professional or parent hauling kiddos to wherever my day is made. E-Bikes serve no greater purpose than this full stop. "We" the newly e-nnoyed have a special distain for assisted recreational bicycle riding except in cases of limited abilities vs failure to launch ;)

Gawww on lay it on me. I'm unrepentant elitist. Still working on my delivery.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-14-2021 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Hey, did I see Emma Pooley in that Brompton video?!
    Yep, she did the race when she worked for GCN and maybe before/after as well. She effing rocks. Check her Strava account to see what she's been doing lately. Nuts.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

...Still working on my delivery.
    Maybe you need an e-cargo bike for that delivery? Har!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same as it ever was.

*Yes, heaps of tongue in cheek.

Jake, bicycles are transportation. Ultimately I have utmost respect for and judge all others by utility never second to beauty, both are that important. When I see a well dressed professional or parent hauling kiddos to wherever my day is made. E-Bikes serve no greater purpose than this full stop. "We" the newly e-nnoyed have a special distain for assisted recreational bicycle riding except in cases of limited abilities vs failure to launch ;)

Gawww on lay it on me. I'm unrepentant elitist. Still working on my delivery.
    Your delivery is spot on :) never change - this world needs the old guard to keep the young ones in-line

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Always!

Nice looking bike.

Contained within this video is Henning Thomas from Urban Arrow who had some interesting things to say about urban environment and e-bikes.

Wait... is that a front-drive rear-steer tadpole trike? Please tell me more.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was in Jackson Hole last weekend. The traffic is horrible but there is a good network of bike lanes and paths. I had never seen so many ebikes, most of which were cargo types with racks and baskets. A few grocery stores had special racks with chargers. A 1200 square foot home is over a million dollars there, but the ebikes are cool until the winter arrives.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I was in Jackson Hole last weekend. The traffic is horrible but there is a good network of bike lanes and paths. I had never seen so many ebikes, most of which were cargo types with racks and baskets. A few grocery stores had special racks with chargers. A 1200 square foot home is over a million dollars there, but the ebikes are cool until the winter arrives.
    Wow that's interesting. I used to drive there winter weekends with cross country skis in the pickup truck and troll for a group house rental to crash. That place was the best for driving up some g-dforsaken snowed in road and skiiing down than trudge back....man was I in shape!

Jackson Hole is a perfect place for e-bikes as long as they stay in city limits. Beyond that it should be a $100 fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Wait... is that a front-drive rear-steer tadpole trike? Please tell me more.
    That one is from Black Iron Horse. Made in Dane-land. Sounds like high speed is not its thing, but it is super maneuverable in tight spaces.

Was thinking I should get this instead of a pick-up truck.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cargo bike races is a thing >> https://www.cxmagazine.com/crosshair...dc-underground

If I remember correctly at the Cycle Messenger World Champs 1998 in DC there was a division?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow that's interesting. I used to drive there winter weekends with cross country skis in the pickup truck and troll for a group house rental to crash. That place was the best for driving up some g-dforsaken snowed in road and skiiing down than trudge back....man was I in shape!

Jackson Hole is a perfect place for e-bikes as long as they stay in city limits. Beyond that it should be a $100 fine.
    Our friends live about 8 miles south of town, there is a paved bike path going past their driveway. Their daughter rides a regular bike everywhere, but with an ebike, they could do all their shopping in town. Overall, it's a place I'd never want to live. We're looking at moving to central Wyoming (Washakie County) as early as next summer. I'd rather snowbird out of Wyoming than Arizona.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our friends live about 8 miles south of town, there is a paved bike path going past their driveway. Their daughter rides a regular bike everywhere, but with an ebike, they could do all their shopping in town. Overall, it's a place I'd never want to live. We're looking at moving to central Wyoming (Washakie County) as early as next summer. I'd rather snowbird out of Wyoming than Arizona.
    Same here, I found the culture of Wy natives to be most pleasant and the backcountry was insanely wonderful. Now that we have our ducks in a row things like that seem more possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem with Northern WY is the whole lotta nada syndrome. You gots to be organized to live there. Groceries can be a long way off as can be fixing your car. I talked to a bunch of folks in Northern WY this Spring and getting groceries may be a couple hour each way deal. I fell in love with Ten Sleep (and their microbrewery) this Spring on the road trip. 1 big problem as we get older are the chances of a serious medical situation. Have a heart attack in some places and you gonna die. Complicated cancer or medical treatment, you gonna drive...a lot. Man it looked to me like you could gravel grind and climb forever out there and not see a car all day. Base altitude is enough to make you pay attention. We didn't ride this trip but when your base altitude is around 6 k going uphill will get your attention. If you all have not been to WY, oh my what a place. We made it to Devil's Tower this trip and it needs to be on everyones to do list. Talked to a fair number of Sprinter Van people around Jackson. They can afford a $150k Sprinter but won't pay $2000 or more a month rent. One bartender told me...Get up and ski, shower at the health club, go to work, sleep in the Sprinter and repeat. In summer change ski to mtb and that is the life and putting bank away too. (oh to be young enough to do that) Saw 17 pages of help wanted ads in the Jackson paper. $25 an hour for a yardman. But with cost of housing no way can you make it on $25 an hour job. Just for fun go to the Jackson airport and count the really really nice jets parked there. Back on the e-bike. I think that WY would be a nice place to be able to dial in a few extra watts now and again with the e-ride. Just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Same here, I found the culture of Wy natives to be most pleasant and the backcountry was insanely wonderful. Now that we have our ducks in a row things like that seem more possible.
    We have ten acres in Worland which is about 90 minutes from Cody and two plus hours from Billings, MT (airport). Where I live now, it's two hours to the Vegas airport and less than two hours to Flagstaff. I'd be giving up one kickass National Forest/Park area for another. I checked into the VA clinic situation and it's doable. I also have Tricare so that adds some flexibility in getting medical care. I could teach at the community college which uses the local high school classrooms for evening classes. I'm making a pro/con list of living in a rural and remote area, but the idea of being 20 minutes from a kickass trout stream overrides a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have ten acres in Worland which is about 90 minutes from Cody and two plus hours from Billings, MT (airport). Where I live now, it's two hours to the Vegas airport and less than two hours to Flagstaff. I'd be giving up one kickass National Forest/Park area for another. I checked into the VA clinic situation and it's doable. I also have Tricare so that adds some flexibility in getting medical care. I could teach at the community college which uses the local high school classrooms for evening classes. I'm making a pro/con list of living in a rural and remote area, but the idea of being 20 minutes from a kickass trout stream overrides a lot.
    Amen to all that. Now that we've ruled out e-bikes.... Some of these small towns have surprising resources. Maybe a hold over from the Oil/Gas boom. My ideal setup is a hunk of land bordering National Forest with an RV pad, sewer, water and a big arse solar array. I'd use that for a portion of each yr.

Trout fishing sounds real good.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-16-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Saw 17 pages of help wanted ads in the Jackson paper. $25 an hour for a yardman. But with cost of housing no way can you make it on $25 an hour job. Just for fun go to the Jackson airport and count the really really nice jets parked there.
    Read the book, Billionaire Wilderness, by Justin Farrell. It explains why it's damn near impossible for middle class people to work and live in Jackson Hole. And the poor that do the dirty work live crammed in awful conditions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast