Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for 3 days in Boston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tips for 3 days in Boston

I'm spending 3 days in Boston with my wife at the end of the month and I'm looking for tips (lodging, sight seeing, dining, coffee, pizza, etc.) from you locals, as I am not familiar with the area at all. No car, so all on foot, ride-share and public transportation....thanks in advance for the advice.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tips for 3 days in Boston

Any specific interests?

Revolutionary War history? (Freedom Trail)
    Cemeteries? (Mount Auburn Cemetery)
    Highfalutin' universities? (Harvard, MIT)
    Art? (MFA)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Any specific interests?

Art? (MFA)
    L…Freedom Trail is of interest, Cambridge, Adams Estate, neighborhoods, chillin’…thanks.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the Boston Public Library with its reading room, Sargent murals, the lions on the grand staircase, everything. In Copley Square. https://www.bpl.org/mckim-points-of-interest/

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is lovely also. Can be a bit faded but still lovely. Site of a famous (infamous?) theft that I think is still unsolved? Nice central courtyard. https://www.gardnermuseum.org

ICA is the large modern art museum on the hahbah. Usually has good exhibits and the siting of the building is great. https://www.icaboston.org

And of course, no visit to Boston would be complete without a stop at the Grolier Poetry Book Shop. Right? https://www.grolierpoetrybookshop.org
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-08-2021 at 09:04 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria's bakery, take the cannoli.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    pizza
    I would not make the trip to Back Bay just for the pizza, but if you happen to be in the neighborhood -- like, when visiting the MFA -- and feel like a slice, the 'za at Little Stevie's House of Pizza on Boylston Street in between Mass Ave and Hemenway is surprisingly good

...I say "surprisingly" because it is a real shithole of a dump. But their slices are tasty, and the size of a teenage elephant's ear. (Indian, not African.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Linda's Donuts on Belmont Street in Belmont is the mothership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once put down a large pepperoni at Regina Pizzeria (my work day didn't have a meal break) and then walked through Copps Hill cemetery.

That afternoon is a good memory for me. I also enjoyed being cussed at by a construction worker for taking 1.5 seconds to order at Dunkin, but I recommend pizza and a cemetery.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The water taxis are really fun. There's one that you pick up by the aquarium and it takes you over to the Charlestown Navy Yard. Great cheap date on its own, and if you are going to see the Constitution anyway, that's the way to get there.

It's a bigger time commitment, but also consider taking the ferry out to Spectacle Island, or if they are still running the ferry when you get there, George's Island. There's a big fort on George's Island, great views of the city, and you can connect with other ferries to get to the less-developed Harbor Islands.

It's a cool city from the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are better than a Rick Steves’ book.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Any specific interests?

Art? (MFA)
    I'll throw in a plug for my (slightly off the beaten path) neck of the woods. Forest Hills Cemetery is almost as nice as Mt. Auburn and has its share of dead luminaries. Right across the way from there is the Arnold Arboretum. They are along Boston's own Olmstead Emerald Necklace which runs from the Fens to Franklin Park. If you like to walk I would recommend that for an alternative perspective on the city.

I'm a big fan of the Museum of Fine Arts, the Institute for Contemporary Art, and especially the Gardner. I'm not sure if Jorn has been to the Gardner since its expansion - it's far from dowdy these days. And has one of the best music halls in the city. Although I wouldn't recommend a concert right now.

As far as pizza, the place to go is the original (and only the original!) Regina's in the North End. One of my favorite seafood places is The Daily Catch. Get the squid ink pasta Aglio Olio. Mmmmm. And George Howell will serve you reliably excellent coffee.

There's so much history here - the Freedom Trail is really excellent and shouldn't be missed. There's the JFK Library, and the Edward Kennedy Institute for the Senate next door.

If you have specific questions or interests, let us know!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for The Daily Catch! Love that place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid recos so far.

I like that George Howell showed up. For context, Howell was the founder of Coffee Connection, and this is his "new" place. If you like coffee, it's really good. He's got a shop at the Boston Public Market. If you're doing anything near the North End or the waterfront, it's easy to get to - BPM is a good spot for some farm-to-table type lunch options while downtown, so could be a combo. If you're there, try the maple bacon and/or vietnamese coffee donuts at Union Square Donuts at BPM, without going to the actual Union Sq. in Sommerville. BPM is also around the corner from Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market and all that stuff. You're welcome.

Other ideas:

Eat some fish. Daily Catch is solid. To this list I add: Row 34 and/or Eventide for contemporary New England fare. Depending on the weather and your sensibilities, The Barking Crab is great spot. Basically a tent on a dock with picnic tables serving buckets (literally) of shrimp, and all the usual New England classics. It works.

In the North End, Neptune Oyster checks a lot of boxes and Giacomo's remains a favorite - get there early to avoid the line. Do not leave the North End without at least walking by Paul Revere's house. It's hard to get any closer to American history, or for history to be more directly tangible, anywhere.

Drink some beer. Honestly, it's an embarrassment of riches as we live in a golden age of beer and New England is one of the most densely areas of brew craft. If you make it to Row 34, check out Trillium more or less across the street. If you're outside of the city, Treehouse is superb but locations are somewhat out of the way. Too many other excellent options - whatever you do, go for local options wherever you happen to be. Actually, the BPM has a beer shop that only stocks local/regional stuff. Bring something back to wherever you call home.

Things to see: The Maparium at the Christian Science world HQ in the Back Bay is pretty cool and you'll probably pick up some historical bytes. It's around the corner from Bodega, probably one of the best urban/street/hipster shops in the world, if not in the country. The entrance to the shop is pure retail theater, even 10+ years later. If you or anyone in your party is a sneakerhead, this is worth your time.

Walk down Charles Street on Beacon Hill. Check out the functioning gas lamp street lights, ponder the cobbles that have been trod for at least a couple of centuries, pass within inches of John Kerry's house and speculate what he and Theresa might be discussing... Tatte is a good local option if you need another coffee or a snack while you're in that hood.

Lots more, I might post again.

Enjoy your visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1 on the Mapparium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll +1 the water taxi. I took it from my Constitution tour to the aquarium, and then headed to the airport. I recall wishing my wife was with me as the boat cruised the waterfront. It was a very nice end to a good day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the Gardner museum was pretty good, they have some cool stuff in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I'll throw in a plug for my (slightly off the beaten path) neck of the woods. Forest Hills Cemetery is almost as nice as Mt. Auburn and has its share of dead luminaries. Right across the way from there is the Arnold Arboretum. They are along Boston's own Olmstead Emerald Necklace which runs from the Fens to Franklin Park. If you like to walk I would recommend that for an alternative perspective on the city.

I'm a big fan of the Museum of Fine Arts, the Institute for Contemporary Art, and especially the Gardner. I'm not sure if Jorn has been to the Gardner since its expansion - it's far from dowdy these days. And has one of the best music halls in the city. Although I wouldn't recommend a concert right now.

As far as pizza, the place to go is the original (and only the original!) Regina's in the North End. One of my favorite seafood places is The Daily Catch. Get the squid ink pasta Aglio Olio. Mmmmm. And George Howell will serve you reliably excellent coffee.

There's so much history here - the Freedom Trail is really excellent and shouldn't be missed. There's the JFK Library, and the Edward Kennedy Institute for the Senate next door.

If you have specific questions or interests, let us know!
    That's right! Thanks - I remember now. Yes, I've been there after the expansion. Saw a terrific photography exhibit - contemporary work using historical processes. What a gem.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really enjoyed the tour of Paul Revere's home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Maria's bakery, take the cannoli.
    Leave the gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The walks. The Public Garden, the Common, Comm(onwealth) Av(enue), Newbury St., the Rose Kennedy Greenway, the North End, Charles St in Beacon Hill (as mentioned above), the Charles River Esplanade. Take the red line over to Harvard Square. Have a burger at Mr. Bartleys. Drink a beer at Grendel’s Den.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast