User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first smart phone: Android or iOS ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My first smart phone: Android or iOS ?

It's a long story, but for a month or so I haven't had internet at home (which up to now, since I live in the boonies has been only dial-up) because my desktop's modem appears to be malfunctioning. I've tried using an external USB modem, but for some reason that doesn't seem to want to play with my ISP. Bottom line, I'm thinking of joining the 20th century by getting a smart phone and USB-tethering it to my PC as my connection to the internet at home. (I currently, very rarely, use a Jitterbug flip-phone - see below - which I keep in my car.)

That may not be the only use of the phone, but I provide the background info to admit that I'm a bit of a retro-grouch (e.g. why get Ergopower or STI, when DT shifters work just fine, and provide a cleaner look?) so getting the fastest, greatest, fanciest, coolest is pretty far down the list of my priorities. On the other hand, I have found that Apple stuff does tend to be well though out and works pretty well. (except for the iPod Touch my sister gave me a few years ago, who's backlight died after a month or so of minimal use, and all the guy at the Genius Bar said was "Yeah, it's dead. Sorry about that, but we'll sell you another one, if you like..." to which I said "FU, apparently your hardware's cr@p.")

Finally,

1) I'm not mentioning a budget because if necessary I am willing to pay the iPhone premium, if everyone says that that's the way to go, but obviously if Apple's not worth the extra bucks I'm perfectly happy to spend a lot less on an Android phone.

2) Quality of camera(s) on the device is the least important thing in the world to me, and I'll probably keep a piece of masking tape over it.

Edit: I've done my research, and according to the maps I've found online 4G, 4G LTE and 5G are all available at my home. (assuming the carriers - especially T Mobile - are telling the truth)

So, Android of iOS?

Current device - got it for "free" because my Mother, for whom my sister got it, didn't want to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My first smart phone: Android or iOS ?

"when DT shifters work just fine"

Hey, I'm on the same page. Just gave up DT shifters (only on the main bike) a couple yrs ago.
    I advise looking at the Apple SE. Not the old one, bt the one they released about a year ago.
    It was $399, available cheaper. I've been getting along just fine with mine.
    I'm sure you could find it cheaper on eBay.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what you describe, it sounds like your main usage case is for home. If yes, then I would consider an iPad with cellular connection feature. Standard iPad or iPad Mini perhaps.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you need a smartphone for the intended usage. Smartphone in tethering mode run out of battery quick, get super hot and are not super fast anyway. This is nice when you are out of home but that's about it. What you need is one of the 4G or 5G wifi router that allows you to buy a sim card to your telco and use that as a primary or secondary internet access.

Buying an iphone or ipad to resolve an internet connection or broken modem issue seems like a totally weird idea, especially if the issue is just a broken router or modem.
    ---

If you buy an apple smartphone, you will have support for a long time, and they are supposedly quite reliable. On the other hand you have to take into account that you don't really own your device per se. Well you own the electronic thing but Apple will decide whenever they want to reduce its speed, battery life or more lately analyse your local data, theorically with the risk of false positive putting you in danger of having law enforcement knocking at your door any time, seizing all your devices (you won't get them returned, even if found innocent, you know that?) and have your wife and children seeing you handcuffed. Most people don't care about their privacy so they use apple and microsoft based tools every day without problem. I do, so I avoid them.

Android is pretty much like the far west as support vary from one manufacturer to another. If you care about privacy I would advise a grapheneos based phone.GrapheneOS is a fork of android without the evil google part (that you can still install and run in a separate sandbox if needed. GrapheneOS can only be installed on google pixel at the moment. Other option is the fairphone brand of phones which are supposedly made to be repairable, get os updates for a long time and could thus become a much longer lasting option : https://shop.fairphone.com. Other recommendation would be a Sony flagship android phone. They provide all the necessary unlocking tools to be able to install alternative firmware which means you have a chance to still use a security supported one with lineagos if Sony do not provide any update anymore. Last recommendation would be a Samsung Galaxy S line, not the fancy one with folding screens but the highest one with regular normal screen. It is usually well supported by the lineagos community, I could still install it on a very old Samsung galaxy S4 last time I checked.

Avoid cheaper ones, not because they are bad technically, but because manufacturer provide updates for 18 months max and then you have an unsupported phone security wise.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-02-2021 at 03:29 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of a phone, you really aren't going to see a huge difference between an iphone and an android phone from a premium brand. It'll all come down to various consumer preferences. If possible, go to a store and try some stuff out.

but honestly, if you don't actually want a smartphone you might be better served by a celular wifi hotspot. We have some for work travel in remote-ish areas where there's cell coverage but maybe not a wifi signal at the test facility we're using. They work great and don't have the same bandwidth/battery issues you would have with a tethered smartphone.

there's also the option of starlink satellite internet. https://www.starlink.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll third or fourth the WiFi/cellular modem. Verizon usually has the best coverage on those. Phones have never seemed to work well tethering except in some kind of once in a blue moon sort of way. Plus to get the tethering, you often have to buy one of the top tier plans for your phone. Or do as Chic says and get an iPad with cellular built in. Does Internet better than a phone plus all the other things. I think my iPad was $30/month (ATT) for 5GB of data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another vote for a hotspot. We got my dad one since he has a "non-smart" phone and finds it easier to communicate via computer.

I have used android from the beginning. My kid has had an iPhone X since they came out. He was using an iPhone 7 but the battery was dying and the home button quit working. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S21+ after using an S7 for about five years. I have tethered with both while traveling and out at our property in BFE, AZ. If you use a cable to connect your phone to the laptop instead of Bluetooth, the laptop will maintain the battery in your phone while tethering.

Which one is best? Like others have pointed out, for android it comes down to who made it. I've had great experiences with Samsung devices. My son loves his iPhone and coming to the reality that next year he'll have his own plan.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Well you own the electronic thing but Apple will decide whenever they want to reduce its speed, battery life or more lately analyse your local data, theorically with the risk of false positive putting you in danger of having law enforcement knocking at your door any time, seizing all your devices (you won't get them returned, even if found innocent, you know that?) and have your wife and children seeing you handcuffed.
    Tell me more, never heard of anything like this. Seems a little tinfoil hat-ish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Tell me more, never heard of anything like this. Seems a little tinfoil hat-ish.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/2...ersy-explained
    https://www.technologyreview.com/202...-surveillance/
    https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/18/ap..._qawcSApIptDyo
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/0...r-private-life

Oh sure it will probably only happen a tiny handful of time for millions of users. It always happen to others anyway. Until it happens to you.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/t...on-arrest.html

We should just never allow any private company or government to do analysis on your devices unless a judge asks for it. That is what the justice system is for.

And I feel really bad for the australians.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-02-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. I'll stick with my Samsung. Thank you for providing all that information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback guys - I had considered the cellular hotspot option and am aware of it, but figured if I'm going to eventually get a smart phone anyway (although I'm not sure when that would happen if I didn't get it for the proposed application) why not get just one device (the phone) instead of the hotspot and a phone?

In defense of USB tethering - the phone is powered by the desktop via the USB cable, so you aren't using the mobile device's battery.

Regarding bandwidth - don't forget, when my dialup was working I was happy if I got 40 kbps, so anything I do is going to be blazing fast compared to that. I don't plan on watching movies or doing anything else that requires a lot of data going either way. There's a cell tower 2000 feet from my house. I'm not sure what companies use it, but other than all the trees around, it's a pretty straight shot from my home "office" to the cell tower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly the main advantages of a smartphone -- the built in cameras, the app functionality, etc -- are all items that seem nonexistent on your wishlist. What you really want is a cellular modem. If you're happy with the flip phone and just need something for faster internet connectivity, and if all the phone will be is a glorified modem anyways, then get the modem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Honestly the main advantages of a smartphone -- the built in cameras, the app functionality, etc -- are all items that seem nonexistent on your wishlist. What you really want is a cellular modem. If you're happy with the flip phone and just need something for faster internet connectivity, and if all the phone will be is a glorified modem anyways, then get the modem.
    I hear you and this ^^^^ makes sense.

On the other hand, I do have to recognize the convenience of a smart phone over the flip phone, which is why I'm tempted by the USB tethering of the smart phone approach. It looks like I might even be able to tether to my Windows XP machine, which means that the smart phone (and the new, more expensive cellular plan) will be the only expenses. However, in the long run this will likely save me money, because every month I have a huge ($150 and up) land-line phone bill due to my international phone calls down to Haiti. I should be able to switch the bulk of those calls to VOIP, which will be free.

Edit: BTW, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to decide right now, I'd probably go with a Google phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference in the way data gets used by a computer and by an iPhone. Depends on the coding of internet websites to some degree, but often the phone loads a smaller (data-wise) version of online content, at least as far as I understand it. Some repackaging goes on I guess. When you tether a computer to your phone, you download data over the phone like a computer which is a larger load. That may make the per bit cost of tethering higher than having a dedicated cellular modem - or if equal cost, then you may get smaller quantities of data per time period. At least that’s the way it used to be. Look at the differences and judge based on cost.

One of the nice things about cellular plans with iPads is they are month to month. You can turn them on and off as you like month to month. You can also increase or decrease the data allotments. And depending on the iPad you get, some of the newer ones are 85-95% laptops and the eliminating the differences wouldn’t necessarily make them better.

The reason I have a phone is largely communication. Email, text, video calls. With a wife orbiting the planet on a regular basis, it is how I remember what she looks like. Or find my socks. Text “where are the red socks” and voila “in your sock drawer”. Invaluable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comment is probably of no help to the original post.

If I had my way again I would not buy a smart phone again, the addictive nature and ability to access so much are an awful combination. I have nothing against mobile phones for communication but seeing how much time I and others waste on them is disheartening, especially my own children. Anyone reading this is probably rolling their eyes but it just saddens me. When my current iPhone dies I'm going back to an old Nokia. Call me a Luddite but look at people who congregate and they’re all looking down at their phones.

Apologies for my lockdown lamentations…
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, I'm now thinking of going with a cellular modem instead of a smartphone tethered to my desktop. Haven't decided if I'll connect the modem to the desktop via Ethernet cable or WiFi. (my current desktop doesn't have WiFi or Ethernet plug, so either way I'll need something at that end to "connect" to the cellular modem)

One option: (this one doesn't have WiFi)

https://www.netgear.com/home/mobile-...modems/lm1200/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks like a good option. ATT offers 100gb of data for $55/month. Not sure what our currently monthly usage is, but it wasn't 100gb last time I looked at the stats (pre-covid teleconferencing 24-7) and we pay $50/month for cable internet.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    My comment is probably of no help to the original post.

If I had my way again I would not buy a smart phone again, the addictive nature and ability to access so much are an awful combination. I have nothing against mobile phones for communication but seeing how much time I and others waste on them is disheartening, especially my own children. Anyone reading this is probably rolling their eyes but it just saddens me. When my current iPhone dies I'm going back to an old Nokia. Call me a Luddite but look at people who congregate and they’re all looking down at their phones.

Apologies for my lockdown lamentations…
    That is the issue, the smartphone becomes a remote and terminal for everything and is your main photo camera. We have added rules at home with no smartphone time windows at home like during lunch time, evenings, gatherings. Problem is if you want to put music, check the weather or your calendar, take a picture of your kids or show a specific picture from a story you were speaking about and you end up breaking your own rules.

But then it is so useful.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-06-2021 at 02:46 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never owned a mobile phone ** until this year **

I qualify all I say here by adding that all is subjective and that I never needed a mobile until the Govt enforced QR codes to enter business premises etc during covid.

My line of work I get much more done without the distraction of a mobile phone but I know that people like my bosses get so much more work done because they have a mobile phone so I was never anti mobile, just never needed one.

I'd never used a smart phone until I purchased a cheaper Samsung smart phone in the USA back in 2017 on a 8 week road trip. I found the Samsung un-intuitive to the point of me turning it off and avoiding it to keep the frustration of trying to use it out of my holiday. I gave the phone to my freind in San Francisco as I disliked the device.

This year the Govt mandated QR code check in to just about everywhere for Covid tracing purposes so I needed a smart phone to function as a consumer / health service patient etc. My boss gave me his old iPhone 6 with a broken screen. I had the screen repaired and a new battery installed for $300.

I find the iPhone 6 very intuitive and the touch keyboard is truly excellent compared to any other touch screen tech I've used like Nikon cameras etc. As far as navigating the phone the iPhone is very user friendly and I now see why they are so popular despite the ridiculous price. The iPhone 6 screen resolution is lovely to view. I like the iPhone and am considering giving mine to my phone less partner who also needs to QR check in everywhere and upgrading myself to an iPhone12.

The camera on the iPhone 6 is not up to the same standard as my tiny Sony RXS100 bike ride pocket camera. I've played around with an iPhone 12Pro camera and looked at the RAW files on Photoshop. They are pretty rough compared to a 45MP Nikon Z7 but the night shooting mode is truly excellent.

I'd only fork out for an iPhone 12 for the sake of having a 5G compatible phone (my current iPhone 6 is only 4G which is fine so long as 4G stays with us) The iPhone 13 is rumoured to be announced this month so maybe iPhone 12 prices fall back a notch once the 13 comes into the stores?

If you want high end photo files then look elsewhere. I have a photographer friend who has a top end Huawei phone and he says he is surprised at how good the image files produced by that phone are, but they are no better or worse than the image files of a contemporary mid price point and shoot compact camera.

The iPhone 12Pro camera was loaned to me for a day about a month ago. It can make some stunning images if you view them on small screens but the files are still only moderate sized, the image software used is a compromise and makes all the decisions for you - I found the under exposed elements of the files produced really ugly noise esp. if you dared lift just a bit of shadow in post process editing and the iPhone 12Pro lenses are ordinary by photographic standards (the so called tele lens is only 50mm in 35mm equiv. which I found a bit disappointing) and the ultra wide lens is very doughy on the corners or at least the half a dozen landscapes I took with it produced soft corners that let the show down a bit. However, the night shooting mode is very good, as good or better than my RXS100.

If you are like me and are coming at mobiles cold then perhaps the iPhone is the happiest option if you want a crowd pleasing intuitive operating system .......(and are prepared to only view your photos on smaller sized screens)

As for a carrier, I use Aldi as they piggy back off Telstra and where I live at home is a mobile dead spot and Telstra is the only signal I get and only just........... I only require unlimited calls and SMS/MMS and 3-5 Gig of date per month so the constant data roll over $15 Aldi plan suits me. After 5 months on Aldi I'm yet to have an issue. There is a $25 monthly Alsi plan that had significantly more data allowance. Woolworths is another Telstra based option that I think offers good value with their 365 plan offerings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    That is the issue, the smartphone becomes a remote and terminal for everything and is your main photo camera. We have added rules at home with no smartphone time windows at home like during lunch time, evenings, gatherings. Problem is if you want to put music, check the weather or your calendar, take a picture of your kids or show a specific picture from a story you were speaking about and you end up breaking your own rules.

But then it is so useful.
    I totally agree!

I've put a VPN on my iPhone to make it more cumbersome for myself to access social media etc. The things that makes it the most hard to give up on a smartphone for me is checking the weather, podcasts, music and the camera. Oh and the banking app.
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast