Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default safety/steel toe footgear

I don't want to crush my toes, nor do I want to cut them off with a chainsaw. That said, my Red Wing 2218 logging boots are often serious overkill. They are hot, weigh a ton, and can be a major source of fatigue.

Suggestions? If no one chimes in here, I'm sure there will be a Mennonite or Mennonite-adjacent feller at the local hardware/dry goods store who will sort me out.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: safety/steel toe footgear

Good question, although I don't have a concise answer for you.

As an avid chainsaw user I can relate.

On the other hand, look at those Redwings as a workout! I wear ankle weights when I perform my weekly trail maintenance, in addition to my hiking boots and sometimes chainsaw, just because it takes away from bike riding and I need to stay fit!

Anyway, try posting your question on the Arborist site. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are a workout. I have 23 acres, and I prefer to walk to the place where I'm working - unless I have a lot to carry, its faster to walk most places than to load up the tractor.

But when I'm tired, and carrying things, and wearing a backpack with my bar oil/fuel/water/snacks/etc. it gets treacherous, I sometimes trip because I'm not picking my feet up enough.

Some lighter safety shoes are a lot cheaper than a UTV.

Arborist site is a favorite, BTW. Always one of the first results when I'm looking for chainsaw knowledge.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok with composite toe, rather than steel toe?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a whole world of work wear out there. I didn't want big heavy boots for when I got working in my home shop, but I also didn't want to risk breaking a toe, so I got a casual runner-like shoe with steel toes.

Maybe look at some of the Merrell offerings with composite toes (less weight than steel).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those composite Merrell's look like the ticket for days when I'm doing lighter duty work.

Edit - I know of a couple places where I can get Carolina's locally - these look legit - https://www.carolinashoe.com/CA8558

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a set of Timberlands that look like a set of low-top hiking shoes that are reasonably lightweight. Maybe they have a composite toe version by now for us posers.

Timberland 01.jpg

Timberland 02.jpg

Keen has a version of this too:
    https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-BRADDOCK-LOW.html?