Thread: Dear New England: Wear a raincoat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dear New England: Wear a raincoat

It's been a while. Did you miss me?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-21-2021 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dear New England: Wear a raincoat

And hold onto those chainsaws.
    Y'all be safe!
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering Fred just dumped a ton of water on everybody after July was something like a foot of rain five more inches might not be needed. Oh, yeah, there's wind, too. Eesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I lived in Baja California we’d experience more than a few of these depressions/storms/hurricanes in a three month season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be safe y'all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This morning at 11AM, NWS showed the center wandering towards the NY/MA border. I got out the flashlights, charged batteries, charged backup batteries, ran a test on the generator, etc. At 5PM the projected track had drifted back eastward (see below - grew up with hurricanes so understand effects felt many many miles outside of central storm).

Not specifically worried about the storm itself, but the 500 or so trees that are going to give up on life after one of the wettest seasons most people around here can remember (not me - my memory is only 5 years deep.) That could put power in certain sections out for a while, simply because X trees/Y chainsaws=Z hours.

I did actually hear a couple chainsaws going this morning, but whether that was in preparation or just playing catch up I don't know. But now with the eastward movement, I think it is more likely we'll just have more of the usual with an extra helping of flooding. Chainsaw at the ready though.

Friends just bought a house on Fire Island last year. They've been given evacuation orders. Everything got shuttered and secured. One of her neighbors said, "Oh you are lucky. We had to wait 10 years before our first real evacuation. You get one in your first year. After this you'll always be prepared." Which made her panic because: After this? What did she forget?

Last edited by j44ke; 08-21-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are people on COOP Boards so stupid?

The Board at my apartment complex in NYC started a massive project to repave all the pathways and relandscape the grounds. Hired an expensive landscape architect. I've been bitching about the erosion on the slope next to my building for years. Even spoke to one of the architects at the town hall meeting about it.
    What did they do?
    They did nothing about the erosion, re paved the path and moved all the drains away from the curb.
    So what happened after the last storm? All the water ran into the basement and down the elevator shaft ruining $150K of elevator motors.
    So I'm standing here at my window right now and the rain is pouring down the path and surprise it's going down into the basement.
    These people are idiots, from the manager on down.
    I don't care anymore because I'm on the 4th floor and can use the stairs. I'll be leaving here soon I hope.
    But God people are stupid.