Hi,

I'm looking for feedback/warnings/things to consider when building a new cross bike. I really appreciate any notes!

Background:
Three years ago I brazed a lugged cross bike under the guidance of a local builder. To me, the main thing was to knock out a bucket list item on building a frame, but I had raced cross in the past and prepared to step back into it with this bike. I did a couple seasons, then covid. I felt these New England courses use more hairpins than in other parts of the US I've raced, or maybe it's a function of time.

Anyway, I raced my bike ("janke") and a 2007 Desalvo and that gave me an opportunity to think about the differences between the two designs. Now I'm planning on building another cross bike building on what I've learned, or think I've learned.

The first goal is to get the steering feel of the Desalvo. The largest impression is that janke felt harder to muscle around the hairpins, and I suspect that's mostly technique, but also b/c it has a 71.5 head angle with a 45-offset fork (trail in 68-land) and the Desalvo (pretty sure) has a 72.5 head angle with a 45-offset fork (trail in 62-land). Desalvo has a 70mm BB drop and I've only had a few pedal strikes.

The second goal is to make sure I get the bars in a good position, by which I mean drop from the saddle and reach, but because of different saddles am referencing off the bottom bracket. Compared to a pro road fit two years ago, the reach (bb to bars) is about 10mm shorter with about 20mm less drop. These were pretty close between janke and Desalvo, but I feel one head tube is too long (160) and the other too short (130 w/30mm of spacers). I've done what I could while managing standover and lug angles. While I'm working on TIG skills, I'm much better at brazing (comparisons are relative).

Checks:
I've checked that the lug angles are within a degree, including at the rear dropout. I'm planning on socket dropouts (canti brakes) that are 68°, a 57.4 x 64.8 x 7° BB shell (30x17 oval stays), the 78° TT to ST and TT to HT lugs, and a 59° HT to DT lug.

I'm assuming straight stays (dimpled) with 12.5 ends, but haven't played around with that area yet.

OS tubing, thinking Spirit for lugs, no rush on this build but availability may influence. Cyclocross time of year I weigh in at 170-ish. I'm big-boned, honest!

What else would anyone recommend I check or think about?

Drawings:

full_bike.jpg

frame_only.jpg

Thanks again for any notes or feedback!