User Tag List

Thread: More of an aesthetic issue: what color grinder to match chrome colored machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default More of an aesthetic issue: what color grinder to match chrome colored machine

I have a chrome colored machine (Rancilio Silvia) and i’m contemplate a Niche grinder to go along with it.

The grinder comes in only white and black, with black colored grinder currently sold out (and the white colored one available). Now for the first world problem: how badly would a white colored grinder clash with chrome? For whatever’s reason, it would appear to me that white clashes against chrome. Am I wrong / overthinking this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: More of an aesthetic issue: what color grinder to match chrome colored machine

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    I have a chrome colored machine (Rancilio Silvia) and i’m contemplate a Niche grinder to go along with it.

The grinder comes in only white and black, with black colored grinder currently sold out (and the white colored one available). Now for the first world problem: how badly would a white colored grinder clash with chrome? For whatever’s reason, it would appear to me that white clashes against chrome. Am I wrong / overthinking this?
    I don’t think the white would clash at all, personally. For a more congruous look, you can obtain a custom portafilter handle made to match the wood base of the Niche. One maker that I’ve seen on Instagram is Creativewerks: http://https://instagram.com/la_crea...dium=copy_link
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-17-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: More of an aesthetic issue: what color grinder to match chrome colored machine

Hey J B, tried to make your link work but couldn't. Sorry. Here is their Etsy site. Think it is the same company.

Depending on your level of cleanliness tolerance, I think a white coffee grinder would always look slightly dirty. I have some cleaning utensils I use on our robot, one of which has a white handle that is now an off-white fade due to coffee oils. I think that's why the black is sold out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both. I hadnt thought about the implications of oil contamination, and i guess that could be an issue (especially with someone on the sloppy side of spectrum, like myself).

I actually check the Niche website rather often, but apparently not often enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_B View Post
    For a more congruous look, you can make a portafilter handle made to match the wood base of the Niche.
    FIFY.

Portafilter handles are really, really easy to make. The first one I made was for my old Silvia which had a broken plastic handle, I used a cut down handle from hammer to make a replacement. IIRC the Rancilio has M12 threads in the portafilter (I gave mine to my sister so I can't check).

Cut the handle to shape, drill a 10mm hole about 50mm deep don the axis, tap the hole to M12 roughly*, insert ~75mm length of M12 threaded rod and bond it in place. When glue sets, insert into PF, job done.

* You don't need a proper tap for this as you are just increasing the bonding area. A piece of M12 threaded rod with a couple of angle grinder cuts down the side will work fine.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post

I'm going to look at this differently. First off black or white goes with chrome, no problem with selecting which color, however I would try to match it with your appliances at that point, so if you have black appliances than get black and the same is true with white. Or what you could do is find something black and something white and put it where you will put your grinder and see if one of the colors looks out of place with the rest of the kitchen.

Normally black will make chrome stand out, whereas white will make chrome blend in, both are a good look depending on what your after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PSA and an update

Quick update on this and a PSA.

This all may be mooted by the fact that Niche is opening a new round of pre-ordering tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I'd be able to buy one. This is basically 1 pm EDT/ 12 noon MDT.

So for anyone else looking to get one, tomorrow afternoon is the time to get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PSA and an update

So I put paid for a unit to be delivered in October. There are still units left (in either color) available for purchase.

Part of me regret not getting it back when it would have cost $600 USD total (it's $750 now with the less favorable exchange rate), but back then it was a kick-starter fund raising.

I'm hoping that this would at least resolve some of the major inconsistency and extraction incontinence issues I have been experiencing.