User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wetsuit noob - need something for cold water in Galicia (in summer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wetsuit noob - need something for cold water in Galicia (in summer)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Ended up ordering a bunch of wetsuits and the one that fit best was the original Billabong shorty long sleeve 2/2 in Small. If I followed the sizing charts I would be a MT. I tried on MT, M, MS, and S and the first three there was virtually no discernible difference and the S fit like a second skin. Not constricting at all. I probably shouldn’t wear a a S at 6’1 1/2” and 75 kgs. My only minor issues were I paid full retail at 180 euros and I need to inspect the neck to make sure it cinches tight properly. I could probably go thicker but most 3 mm offerings were fullsuits. I’ll probably keep this one and let it be my first wetsuit.
    If it's not a done deal, and if available and you're so inclined, you might rent different wetties to see what style & thickness you prefer. It's not rocket science but it does appear to be your first rodeo.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    If it's not a done deal, and if available and you're so inclined, you might rent different wetties to see what style & thickness you prefer. It's not rocket science but it does appear to be your first rodeo.
    Rental wetsuits are gross though, you don’t know who peed in it or worse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cbiker View Post
    Rental wetsuits are gross though, you don’t know who peed in it or worse!
    This. Worst suggestion ever. There is no way that jclay has ever worn a wetsuit lmao.

Is there even such a thing as a rental wetsuit? Sounds like a cruel and unusual torture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m all over the board. Perhaps because it’s colder this summer but I just skipped 3/2 and ordered 5 4/3 fullsuits to try on next. The reason I did so is I asked my wife’s cousin yesterday who’s born and bred here what he thought about a 3/2 for summer and he suggested going 4/3. Since the point is to be warm I said wtf. That’s what I’m trying next. I ordered 3 Decathlon house brand and 2 Quiksilver all fullsuits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decathlon, I miss that place. Good stuff dirt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must be pretty cold there! I admit I never looked up the water temp there, I just assumed it couldn’t be too cold since you had started off looking at vests! 4/3s definitely start being harder to put on than thinner suits, but it can be worth it for the extra warmth. It’s pretty cool being able to charge into cold water like a seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just come here in Andalucía :)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I’m all over the board. Perhaps because it’s colder this summer but I just skipped 3/2 and ordered 5 4/3 fullsuits to try on next. The reason I did so is I asked my wife’s cousin yesterday who’s born and bred here what he thought about a 3/2 for summer and he suggested going 4/3. Since the point is to be warm I said wtf. That’s what I’m trying next. I ordered 3 Decathlon house brand and 2 Quiksilver all fullsuits.
    I'm a wuss with cold temperatures. For ~60 degree water, I use a 5/4 wetsuit and my wife uses a 4/3. I feel warm in it. I could probably be okay in a 4/3, but I'm not really athletic enough in water to overheat, so I'm happy with that choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12