User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit noob - need something for cold water in Galicia (in summer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wetsuit noob - need something for cold water in Galicia (in summer)

We spend summer in Galicia and the water (Atlantic and tidal inlets) is usually cold. My kids always wear some kind of neoprene; they're constantly in and out of the water with their boogie boards. I want a wetsuit or l/s shirt to jump in the water without excuses because they have more fun with me than by themselves.

My question is getting in and out of a full wetsuit is a pita, right? Would I be able to get by with a long sleeve top only portion? Does water come up your belly and/or how warm can these get? Thinking I might be able to get by with one of these instead of a full wetsuit which looks ridiculous in summer. I want to err on warmth which is the whole point but ease in/out is why I'm hoping that maybe a long sleeve top will be enough with board shorts.

I grew up (elementary/middle) in Virginia Beach in the 17th Street / Wave Riding Vehicles days but that's the last time I was near wetsuits. I think I'll be ordering from this site

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.es/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wetsuit noob - need something for cold water in Galicia (in summer)

We visit the DE beaches offseason and wear something like this for quick dips and short swims. * See this O'Neil neoprene top is avail. at the web-store you linked:

Last edited by Too Tall; 07-14-2021 at 06:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have your big guns, Josh! I'm not sure my wife will let me be seen in the sleeveless tri look.

ps went to Dewey Beach once with a friend. That place was weird, a total meat market. But borrowed his long board while he was at work and had a blast.

Anyway, I will take a look, many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just get a 2mm long sleeve O'neill. Worse case it's just an expensive rash guard for the boogie board

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    just get a 2mm long sleeve O'neill. Worse case it's just an expensive rash guard for the boogie board
    I think the water can be around 18 or 19 C but don't quote me. Trust me it's cold or I wouldn't be wetsuit shopping.

Decathlon seems to have a lot of inexpensive options too

Doug, are you saying l/s shirt or l/s wetsuit with short legs (spring suit l/s)?

Does 2mm sound right for the water temperature I describe even though I'm just guessing. I just know that sometimes bones can ache from the water and that's when I don't get in. I usu just suck it up and go numb and as long as you stay up to your neck it's alright but I don't feel like going for a dip frequently with kids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I think the water can be around 18 or 19 C but don't quote me. Trust me it's cold or I wouldn't be wetsuit shopping.

Decathlon seems to have a lot of inexpensive options too

Doug, are you saying l/s shirt or l/s wetsuit with short legs (spring suit l/s)?

Does 2mm sound right for the water temperature I describe even though I'm just guessing. I just know that sometimes bones can ache from the water and that's when I don't get in. I usu just suck it up and go numb and as long as you stay up to your neck it's alright but I don't feel like going for a dip frequently with kids
    The water temps are not that different from California
    https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/spain/galicia/
    https://www.hansensurf.com/blogs/new...-wetsuit-guide

It sounds like you hate the cold, but 2mm long-sleeve top should do the trick. If anything, it may just give you some psychological comfort which is what you really need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the recommendation a long sleeve shirt or spring suit (shorts) wetsuit with long arms?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming the air temps are warmer than the water, I'd go for a 1-2mm short or long sleeve top only.
    Most of them have a retention system that will attach to your shorts- it won't keep water fully out of your stomach area but it helps.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my understanding is you don't want to squirm in a wetsuit, so just go with a long sleeve top.. If you can get a zip 'jacket' probably the easiest solution with board shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former New England surfer here. A neoprene long sleeve top is gonna be most helpful when air temps are chilly. If the water is kinda chilly, say mid to high 60s I would consider a shorty. They are easy to get in and out of and you can get a decent one on clearance for under $75. If the water is in the low 60s you might be better off with a full suit or a farmer John (long legs short arms) if the air is warm. Good brands are hyperflex, xcel, oneill, ripcurl, billabong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patagonia makes a nice LS zip top. I have their LS rash guard (not thermal) and fit is definitely equivalent to cycling race fit, so I assume their wetsuit sizing is similar. I think that is why most reviews complain about size. You can call them if unsure and discuss sizing to avoid returns. I’ve seen this piece, and the material is different than a neoprene wetsuit (stretchy more similarly to Lycra?) but construction seems typical Patagonia high quality.

https://www.patagonia.com/reviews/vi...roductid=88505

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have your big guns, Josh! I'm not sure my wife will let me be seen in the sleeveless tri look.

ps went to Dewey Beach once with a friend. That place was weird, a total meat market. But borrowed his long board while he was at work and had a blast.

Anyway, I will take a look, many thanks
    You have not lived until the Drag Queen Volley Ball Championship happens. Trust me.
    Off season Dewey is a treasure. Mostly locals and lots of dogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We spend summer in Galicia and the water (Atlantic and tidal inlets) is usually cold. My kids always wear some kind of neoprene; they're constantly in and out of the water with their boogie boards. I want a wetsuit or l/s shirt to jump in the water without excuses because they have more fun with me than by themselves.

My question is getting in and out of a full wetsuit is a pita, right? Would I be able to get by with a long sleeve top only portion? Does water come up your belly and/or how warm can these get? Thinking I might be able to get by with one of these instead of a full wetsuit which looks ridiculous in summer. I want to err on warmth which is the whole point but ease in/out is why I'm hoping that maybe a long sleeve top will be enough with board shorts.

I grew up (elementary/middle) in Virginia Beach in the 17th Street / Wave Riding Vehicles days but that's the last time I was near wetsuits. I think I'll be ordering from this site

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.es/
    65F ish? I'm a thin 155#, no fat and a 2/1 springsuit would be borderline, just. I'd be too cold with a 2mm shirt but I wear those things with it's low/mid 70s, but I like to be warm. There's just too much water getting into a shorty and 65 is getting pretty cold on the rest of you, well, on me anyway. But, water temp at Leça da Palmeira is 58F right now. That's well into fullsuit temp for me; mine is an Xcel 3/2. I've been in upper 50s with it but I wouldn't call it toasty....good, adequate, but I'm not feeling warm.

Fullsuit a PITA; it's not like the old days but yeah, they are. Surf has to be pretty stellar these days for me to go to the trouble. Slippery plastic bags from the grocery store over hands & feet make slipping them through a heck of a lot easier but I'm not sure you can get them there; and you certainly don't want to let them get into the environment.

There are a lot of excellent wet suit mfgs; I'm sure O'Neal is still excellent but you might want to broaden you search. My Xcel full, within it's temp range for me, is excellent, flexible, pretty good at keeping water flush to a minimum.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    We visit the DE beaches offseason and wear something like this for quick dips and short swims. * See this O'Neil neoprene top is avail. at the web-store you linked:

Surfing in 65 degree water and I'd be freezing my ass off in that; boogie boarding or body surfing and I wouldn't even go in. Ignoring the front zip (which is not fun to paddle on), a SS pullover "shirt" with a waist cinch like my Xcel shirt (and it's 1.0/0.5, not 2mm) would be much warmer and not restrictive, but still way too cold for my taste at that temp.

Farmer Johns (tank top + full leg coverage) are for when the air temp is hot/sun out but the water's cold and you're spending little time in/under the water, dry paddle out. They're Cold Water Flush City if you're boogie boarding, diving, swimming or spending a lot of time bashing your way out through short period beach break.

Wetsuit selection is as much about what you're doing (how much you're actually IN the water, vs ON the water) as it is water and air temp. And if you're a big, thick person then that obviously has a substantial effect on what will work for you.

I've never owned a long sleeve springsuit but a 2/2 back zip like Billabong's strikes me as a nice compromise (in the water and the much reduced hassle of getting it on) between a fullsuit and a SS springsuit if the water's not too cold; I'd probably like it around 65F but 60 would be pushing it for me. Below 60, def not.

https://www.billabong.com/2/2-absolu...19&hitcount=47
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A modern 3/2 is well worth the 30-60 seconds to put them on to be comfy 90% of the time in Spain. You will not need more than a 4/3 in any season in Spain, maybe booties if you get really cold feet, which again, any modern suit is super easy provided you are even reasonably coordinated. I lived/surfed in the region. If you can't get in and out, then learn how. Honestly, not going out if you have to put on a 3/2 wetty? jeez, so many things come to mind...though not at all surprised. The hardships. The hardships.

In Summer, get a 2/2 shorty, or 1/2 shorty long sleeve (my fav), or even a 1/2 long sleeve top with trunks if your active with your head out of the water.

The absolutely biggest thing is to get a brand/size that fits. Xcel fits me like a glove. But each brand has probably at least thirty-forty sizes because it's so important. You need to try some on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a former new england surfer, with similar conditions, I would go full length legs, with either short sleeves or no sleeves. Could do 2/3.

I would NOT want to be sitting in the sun with a black jacket on, and my legs freezing in the water with boardshorts.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I bought a 2/2 Billabong spring suit with long arms that I just tried on. There was almost no difference between the MT and M so I prefer the M which is a hair more snug. Fits like a glove except I have wings under my armpits where I don’t have enough body to fill the neoprene around the under arm. Fit wise otherwise again like a glove. Feels real good with long sleeves.

I have a Quicksilver spring suit 2/2 short sleeve on the way. Would a pic be helpful for the wing issue? I think it’s minor?

Shaka, brah!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have fun and keep moving, that's not a lot of neoprene for that temperature water. (I wear a 3 or 3/2 in Hawaii and more there in the winter, but I'm a diver and the water gets colder the further down you go and longer you stay). Good call on getting the tighter one. It's not just the neoprene that keeps you warm its also. the thin layer of water that gets trapped between the neoprene and your body that warms up. You don't want a bunch of cold water continuously flushing through the suit! I'd imagine you'll have enough seal on the arms and neck to prevent water accumulating in the space under the armpits - that would be unpleasant though. Do you trust the shop? If they know what they're doing they probably won't steer you wrong. Can always wear a rash guard or even polypro underneath too if getting cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that just the wetsuit tops ride up my back and become super annoying as you're spending your day pulling it down. I would skip the top, and get a full on springsuit. It's like going from cycling shorts to cycling bibs. Gamechanger in comfort.

My favorite wetsuits are Vissla. They just feel great, the material is really stretchy, and they're mid priced on the grand range of wetsuits. Here is a L/S springsuit 2 mm:

https://www.vissla.com/shop/shop/7-s...g-blk-2/black/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ended up ordering a bunch of wetsuits and the one that fit best was the original Billabong shorty long sleeve 2/2 in Small. If I followed the sizing charts I would be a MT. I tried on MT, M, MS, and S and the first three there was virtually no discernible difference and the S fit like a second skin. Not constricting at all. I probably shouldn’t wear a a S at 6’1 1/2” and 75 kgs. My only minor issues were I paid full retail at 180 euros and I need to inspect the neck to make sure it cinches tight properly. I could probably go thicker but most 3 mm offerings were fullsuits. I’ll probably keep this one and let it be my first wetsuit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast