Thread: Source for standard-size lugs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Source for standard-size lugs?

Hi Salonistas;

I have two NOS Reynolds tube sets (531 and 531SL) that I'd like to build up into classic road frames. I am looking for a source for high quality investment-cast plain steel lugs and BB shells for these standard-sized tubes. Most of the high-quality lugs (Sachs, Llewellyn, Pacenti, Henry James, etc.) are either sold-out, no longer available, or are only available in OS geometries.

I've been happy with Henry James lugs, but of course Hank has now retired. I believe his lugs were cast by Long Shen, who seem to be the manufacturer of choice for high-quality lug suppliers. Can anyone point me to a vendor who has stock (2 sets) of Long Shen-manufactured lugs and round-stay BB shells for standard tube sizes? Alternatively, is anyone willing to comment on their experience with Allotec and Everest products relative to Long Shen? I ask because Allotec and Everest seem to have better availability right now.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dave Clementson
    Palo Alto, CA USA

P.S. I have Pacenti OS lugs and BBs (plain & stainless) in case anyone would be willing to trade for standard size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Source for standard-size lugs?

Dave-I have a stash of investment cast standard sized lugs. I will look through them this weekend and also see if I have a couple of shells too. No crown? Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for checking, Andy. I'm all set for crowns: the Pacentis fit these tubes.

DC

Dave Clementson
    Palo Alto, CA USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy is the BEST!

Ed Ness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave I have two lug sets that you might use. Both are standard road sized, investment cast (unknown makers). The set with the extra tips along the edges are marked as to angles (unsure if the claimed angles are spot on...), the plain set are likely about 73 upper HT, 60 lower HT, 74 ST as these were very common specs.

I got these as part of a bundle of bits years ago and used a couple of sets then I moved onto mostly fillet work. IIRC I paid about $15 per lug. So $45 per set plus real shipping (USA only please). I have no shells that I can let go any longer (although in checking I found out the Cinelli shell I have is ITL threaded:))

And it seems that I can't upload the photos to this post. My email is onetenth at earthlink dot net Contact me directly and I'll try to send you the shots. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Shen madelugs for lots of folks, but the owner wanted to retire and closed the company.*

Everest is generally older designs, but are well made.

Allotec has been around for some time, makes good quality stuff, and is the general go to for larger firms lookig to have stuff made new these days. I prefered the Long Shen, but have used enough Allotec to feel comfortable with them.

*Edit: it appears long shen has released a 2021 catalog, so they are either selling off inventory or have a new arrangment. Richard- any insights?
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 07-12-2021 at 01:45 AM.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Long Shen madelugs for lots of folks, but the owner wanted to retire and closed the company.*

Everest is generally older designs, but are well made.

Allotec has been around for some time, makes good quality stuff, and is the general go to for larger firms lookig to have stuff made new these days. I prefered the Long Shen, but have used enough Allotec to feel comfortable with them.

*Edit: it appears long shen has released a 2021 catalog, so they are either selling off inventory or have a new arrangment. Richard- any insights?

Shirley and Alan transferred Long Shen over to Tange maybe 18-20 months ago so now all business and correspondence goes through the latter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Eric for the Everest and Allotec endorsements, and thanks Richard for the lug industry update. And thanks to Andy for the offer to sell. Email sent.

Cheers!
    DC