Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rainwater Management: Gutters & Downspouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rainwater Management: Gutters & Downspouts

"Half-round galvanized gutters are gonna be bomber, but you can't sweat them together like copper. "

There are sleeves that join pieces together, and I used some sort of mastic/roofing cement as well. They've held up for more than twenty years. I used the heavy brackets and screwed into the fascia. Used self-tapping screws where necessary, or zippies.

Like this: https://www.guttersupply.com/shop-by...lvanized-steel
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copper gutters are rare for a reason…plenty of options in aluminum and any residential roofer worth their salt can install them. 1/2 round profiles are also rare in any metal but available. I’ve been involved in a few projects which specified terne coated stainless gutters, conductors, flashing and roofing panels. Lifetime system for sure but very few tradespeople have the skills and tools to deal with this material.

https://www.guttersupply.com/half-round-gutter-products
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Copper gutters are rare for a reason…
    Yeah, because these are all stolen off the building site before you can install

Just say'in...

I have a friend with a beautiful copper roof on the house. I am waiting for him to go away on holiday and then roofers will show up....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I replaced all my trim on my house a few years ago and never put the gutters back up. live near the water, just a crawl space and no water issues other than some erosion in the beds around the house. buy anyway when I was looking to replace our gutters I was intrigued by this company:
    https://classicgutters.com/

especially the galvalume half rounds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had to deal with water intrusion twice, once on a detached garage (slab) in San Diego. the house was from 1923. Even though SD gets limited rain, there was enough in winter to soak the slab, wet the sill plates, and cause dry rot up into the wall studs. I did a French drain filled with free broken clay roof tiles (neighbor re-ddi their roof). I graded the u-shaped channel around the garage (one-car thankfully) and had a sump pump at one end. That sump pumps rarely turned on, but when it did it discharged onto the driveway that had the slightest grade away form the garage door. Worker fine. I replaced the rotted sill plates and sistered any rotten studs, cutting out the bottom rotted portion.

The other was my mom's house, where the corner of the house had a down spout that drained not away from the house but toward the crawls space access. This was in the Midwest so lots of rain, very damp crawlspace, musty, mold risk etc. I was able to make a channel about 10-12 feet to attach a pipe to the downspout to reach a lower part of the yard away form the house. That was a lucky lay of the land or I'd have had to do another French drain along the length of the side of the house to reach the front yard that sloped to the street. The trenching in both cases was not easy", but just simple hard work using a mattock, dull axe, and post hole digger.

If you have actual damage that needs to be addressed you will likely have to dig out along the house anyway. IF not, then I'd try the suggestions above of routing the downspout outflows away from your house, assuming there is some grade between your house and the street.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12