Thread: Silly weightlifting question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Silly weightlifting question

What do you do between sets?

It seems to me the most logical things are to either sit down and rest a bit, or what I do, which is to walk around a bit while repeating the movement you're doing at the time (but without any weights, of course). So say I'm doing standing lateral raises. I have a routine between sets, where I walk around and do three sets of three raises, but with no weights. I know next to nothing about weightlifting, but I figure it will help my muscles prepare for the next set. However, I'm wondering if it's the right thing to do, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use that approach. Maybe it's because it feels a little silly doing it...

Anyway, anyone out there care to comment?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Silly weightlifting question

You could perform a set of an exercise which uses opposing muscles.

Personally, I count 10 breaths, then perform the next set of the exercise.

Another solution to your question is to perform the training method pioneered by bodybuilder Mike Mentzer, High Intensity Training or Pre-Exhaustion. By doing so, there's no waiting between sets, and one set will be all you need.

Example: Your lateral raises affect the deltoids, almost entirely so. But if you were to perform an overhead press, which also affects the deltoid muscles, the weaker muscles of the triceps would fail before fully exhausting the strength of the deltoids.

Solution: Perform a set of lateral raises, "pre-exhausting" their strength. Then IMMEDIATELY perform a set of overhead presses. The fresh triceps muscles will push the deltoids to complete failure. You can use the Pre-Exhaustion principle with virtually any bodypart, and all you'll need is one set of the two exercises, and your only waiting will be to set up the equipment for the next bodypart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    You could perform a set of an exercise which uses opposing muscles.

Personally, I count 10 breaths, then perform the next set of the exercise.

Another solution to your question is to perform the training method pioneered by bodybuilder Mike Mentzer, High Intensity Training or Pre-Exhaustion. By doing so, there's no waiting between sets, and one set will be all you need.

Example: Your lateral raises affect the deltoids, almost entirely so. But if you were to perform an overhead press, which also affects the deltoid muscles, the weaker muscles of the triceps would fail before fully exhausting the strength of the deltoids.

Solution: Perform a set of lateral raises, "pre-exhausting" their strength. Then IMMEDIATELY perform a set of overhead presses. The fresh triceps muscles will push the deltoids to complete failure. You can use the Pre-Exhaustion principle with virtually any bodypart, and all you'll need is one set of the two exercises, and your only waiting will be to set up the equipment for the next bodypart.
    Actually pioneered by Arthur Jones, inventor of the Nautilus machines. Menzter, and Mercury Morris, were disciples. Remember to lift the weights and not throw them and "complete failure" is harder than it sounds.
    -Mike
    Mike Owens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No expert but it depends on the results you are looking for. If you are just working out to keep your body working then I don't know that it matters. If you are looking for hypertrophy or strength then it starts to matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recover so you can hit the next set with the form and intensity appropriate for your goals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally the higher % of your max, the longer you want to rest and the less you will be able to do during that rest. I know someone who claims they once napped between 1RM sets.

The lower the % of max you go, the less rest you need to recover, and also the more you would be able to do.

At some point the strain per set would become low enough that you lose all specificity.

Remember that set-up time counts as rest, and having a good set-up routine for each set is a big part of using weights efficiently and safely.

Like others say, it depends on your goals. But for me, when I was powerlifting, on 5-8RM sets I would rest just enough between sets to have a sit on the bench and make a note in my log book (RPE, calculate next weight, etc), then head back for the next set. On 1-3RM sets I would give myself as much time as I needed, but if I found it taking a really long time to recover, this was data that something was off about me or the program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Recover so you can hit the next set with the form and intensity appropriate for your goals.
    This is what I do. My philosophy is that hitting the weighted sets with proper form and intensity is the most important thing to safely and effectively lifting weights.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are all not very serious lifters.

All serious lifters are narcissists and the right thing to do is admire your ripped muscles in the wall the wall mirrors... Everyone knows that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    This is what I do. My philosophy is that hitting the weighted sets with proper form and intensity is the most important thing to safely and effectively lifting weights.
    It depends on why you're lifting. Assuming there's no intended cardio component to the workout (in my case, I leave that for riding outside), and you're lifting for hypertrophy and strength (in my case, to counteract some of the effects on a 58-year-old body of trying not to get dropped by people like Matt), my trainer agrees with Matt and defspace -- he has me recover fully between sets and focus on form and explosiveness/intensity. Like somebody else mentioned above, he also structures "supersets" with opposing or complementary muscles, i.e., a push set, followed by a pull set, etc ... repeat 3-4x.

He designs the workout and rep structure based upon %PR and a desired total time-under-tension (TUT). To my surprise, he tells me to break up a set if I need to, that what matters is to ultimately complete the required number of total repetitions and hit the TUT, no matter how long it takes. Very much the opposite of the "3 more reps" philosophy espoused when I was growing up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You are all not very serious lifters.
    Worth it for the shower scene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of good stuff here. Just to add, here's what Paul Rogers (Aussie track cycling) once said. It's an oldie but goodie:
    A Gym session lasts about 2.5-3 hours for 6 or 7 exercises, a maximum of 33 sets including 12 warm-ups sets, so that's about one set every six minutes or more on average. We don't set maximum rests, just minimums. If they need longer to get their heads in gear, they take it. Ryan Bayley is the slowest trainer in the world. Lucky he's so bloody fast, they'll pay my bill to sit there and talk about muscle cars and heavy metal music. Reps are a maximum of 6 for strength, and 4 - 15 for power (less for high percentages- 60-70% max, more for low percentages - 20%, or BW for plyos) Total contraction time for a set (not counting hang time in the air) is around 6-8s max - phosphate energy system all the way. Minimum of 2 min rest, but that is never in danger. Only the phosphate energy system can deliver energy fast enough for maximal work and you've got about 8s max.
    It also gives me an excuse to add this... which is one of my faves:
    On the track they take about 3 hours for 3 or 4 efforts including half hour warm-up routine - same as pre-race warm-up. Warm-up, change gears, roll-up, effort, roll down 20-30min rest, roll-up, effort, etc. Lot's more rest. Rest usually consists of sitting on their arses, paying out on each other, drinking Coca Cola (sponsorship please - the Coke bill is killing us) and the occasional chocolate cake. This is especially good when there is a joint sprinter/enduro training session. (Enduros don't get any cake - they're too paranoid about body fat). In general prep phase, the sprinters ride to track and gym (15-20min easy each way) and in spec prep, they drive. Each track effort is no longer than about 15s and usually less than 10s. Again, mainly phosphate system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. If I'm looking to maintain/slightly build, I'm usually aiming to deplete glycogen stores in 20-40m before a zone 2/3 ride, so I'll superset with another movement or two, rotating through with no rest (only with movements I'm comfortable with, with weights I can handle.

2. If I'm looking for longterm strength gains, with my big complex lifts, I've settled on the 6 sets of 10 with exactly two minutes rest. No more, no less. I'm not looking to build tons of mass and I can sustain this, still growing over time, without majorly impacting my cycling. This very specific regimen, two- three times a week boosts testosterone production.

3. If I'm looking for hypertrophy, after 3-6 reps of heavy, isolated movements, flex and hold the burn for 30-90 seconds, then rest 30-120s and repeat. Only the muscles you can isolate, though. Like Arnold did it.

Andrew Huberman reviewed all of this several weeks ago on his Huberman Lab podcast, with links to the studies.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.