Thread: Tools - time to get set up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tools - time to get set up

Hello!

I am now completing my first frame build and really enjoying the whole process and want to get more serious about it. With that said, there are a number of pain points I have experienced (particularly in the design/mitering/jig areas) and would really like to accelerate things on my next build. Any help as to the order of tools to get the shop set up would be greatly appreciated.

My process/tooling on the bike I just completed is:
    - tig the frame with O/A brazeons
    - mitered with angle grinder/bench grinder/ dremel using printable templates
    - "improvised jig", clamping straight metal pieces in a variety of ways

A few of the things I have thought about include:
    - BikeCAD pro or RattleCAD to print out angle miter templates
    - some sort of jig (I've heard of the 8020 or some others out there, but if I have to spend time building a jig, I'd rather be building another bike)
    - Better way of mitering (particularly the CS/SS, those were soooo hard for me)

I'm really enjoying building bikes, but not at the "I wanna go pro" stage yet. I'm ok spending money on tools if there is a good reason and really only want to buy quality tools. Right now I also have more money than time so I am looking for things that will save me time. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tools - time to get set up

Get a few more under your belt before tooling up. The buzz usually doesn't last for most people. Alignment table is a good addition, doesn't need to be big or fancy. You'll get better at the mitering the more practice you get, nothing wrong with a vice, tube blocks and a set of files.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I do have a cheaper version of a certiflat table with v-blocks that I was using.

On the mitering, I don't have any issues with the actual cutting based on the paper templates - that part is quick for me, particularly in the front triangle where its a single angle. It is the rear triangle miters that are compound (2 angles) that I end up basically having to freehand that take me forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasedehan View Post
    Thanks, I do have a cheaper version of a certiflat table with v-blocks that I was using.

On the mitering, I don't have any issues with the actual cutting based on the paper templates - that part is quick for me, particularly in the front triangle where its a single angle. It is the rear triangle miters that are compound (2 angles) that I end up basically having to freehand that take me forever.
    Don't look at it as taking forever, look at it as a learning curve.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic