User Tag List

Thread: Lithium AA and AAA - any leaking issues with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lithium AA and AAA - any leaking issues with them?

I may be late to the party on this, but I think I'm going to switch over from alkaline AA and AAA batteries to lithium for misc stuff around the house. The main reason is that I'm sick of the alkalines in infrequently used and low power stuff (e.g. the fish and table scales I keep in the kitchen) leaking. The lithiums are more expensive up front, but they last longer. However the key issue here is leaking - from what I've read, lithium batteries will not leak.

Does anyone out there have any experience with long-term use of lithium AA or AAA batteries and if so, have you ever had problems with them leaking?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lithium AA and AAA - any leaking issues with them?

I have used Li AA and AAA batteries for years in everything from high end cameras to headlamps. They really work like magic in situations where you need them to work without question, last really well and aren't effected by very cold temperatures. I have never had one leak.

I do use rechargeable NiMh for utility purposes since they stay out of the "recycling stream"/landfill longer.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I do use rechargeable NiMh for utility purposes since they stay out of the "recycling stream"/landfill longer.
    For stuff like my "around the house" headlamps and a few other applications where I seem to be constantly going through batteries I use Eneloops, which have been working out pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the Eneloop batteries. I use them in all sorts of stuff around the house, as well as in rear blinkies on my bikes (where not otherwise USB rechargeable). I have two of four original Philips NiMH AAs left that came with my Philips Saferide headlight. They don't last long anymore (the other two have kicked the bucket), but I just use them in a battery operated light in my closet. They must be 8 years old, the Eneloops not much younger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too - they sound like they will be ideal for what you need them for.

I got a charger on Amazon for not very much which is good too - it can refresh them if they start to not hold as much charge - it basically runs through a few cycles and puts them back to nearly new.

I don't think I've had one leak and I've got literally dozens of them - most of the stuff we use at work is wireless now so I bought a bunch of packs. I've tried a few different brands and they're all pretty similar and they're cheaper than they used to be. My first set I think cost me £10 for 4 - used them in my bike lights only, and even then that was worth it.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.