User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: And now for something new...did the Pandemic change your political ideology?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default And now for something new...did the Pandemic change your political ideology?

Infinite lockdown..I'm almost a Libertarian now. I keed...kind of.

Lockdowns, flip flops, lab-leak hypothesis, groupthink, all that. Has the (sur)reality of the last year and a half shifted your worldview (or have you doubled down)?

Interesting times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: And now for something new...did the Pandemic change your political ideology?

I remain an Orthodox Pogoite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: And now for something new...did the Pandemic change your political ideology?

Wish I lived in Tejas. I'd be more reflexively loyal to my progressive ideals and in lockstep against those anti-science, heartless R's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so much. I remain a fervent anarcho-syndacalist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to say, but I feel more politically homeless than ever before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cautiously optimistic. It's kinda like batting against a rookie pitcher. You are determined to hit the damn ball and the damn ball is determined to hit you but nobody is going to blink first.

Feel me dawg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Nope.
    Here's my take. New York would have gone down as it did regardless of (federal) political leadership (messaging). But LA went down as it did precisely because of (state and local) political leadership (messaging). And there were exponentially more preventable deaths in LA. My soapbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Here's my take. New York would have gone down as it did regardless of (federal) political leadership (messaging). But LA went down as it did precisely because of (state and local) political leadership (messaging). And there were exponentially more preventable deaths in LA. My soapbox.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. All I said was the pandemic has not changed my political ideology.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word responses make me speculate. Figured since you live in NYC you had an alternate perspective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word responses make me speculate. Figured since you live in NYC you had an alternate perspective.
    An alternate perspective to what?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An alternate perspective to what?
    To the questioning of the prevailing mainstream narrative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the questioning of the prevailing mainstream narrative.
    I have no idea what that mainstream narrative would be.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what that mainstream narrative would be.
    Lockdowns, universal masking, school closures all made a measurable difference and they would have stopped the Pandemic completely (look at New Zealand and Taiwan!) but evil Republicans and hateful MAGA yokels were obstructionists with blood on their hands. However, that's not how it played out in most of CA.

I just started following some prominent folks on Twitter so this is just my initial reading of the pulse of the "progressive mainstream."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twitter is definitely an authoritative source of information. I'd definitely believe everything that is written there is absolutely correct and accurately representative of reality.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything, I finally understand why Trump used Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pandemic is still well and truly going, so maybe the question is premature.

Rather than talk about ideology, it is interesting to see how the pandemic impacted on our way of life. We, at least western nations, have an economic system that is based on consumption. A meal out, buying a new shirt, buying something for the sake of buying something. The pandemic put the handbrake on that, at least to a certain degree. We could still buy the shirt, but on-line, and a meal out became a meal in, but on the whole a number of businesses suffered. The pandemic could have focused our thoughts on how our economies are structured and what is important to us, but governments and people just wanted to get back to normal as quickly as possible. Where there was a social element (the meal out) I understand that entirely, but consumption for consumption's sake seems a very hollow way to determine economic well-being. Surely there's more to our life and economic system? Apparently not.

As for ideology, I would argue that not a lot has changed. Populist buffoon governments handled the pandemic poorly (the US, the UK and Brazil for example), but it didn't really change people's ideology (or voting patterns). Almost as many people voted for the populist no clue buffoon in the US as they did for the other guy. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see how the world's largest democracy handles their decent into Covid madness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's made me more cynical about the political process, so I guess my ideology is now Southwest Cynical.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it did not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Although I try not be ideological in the first place, and drive my political views more on my moral compass than political theories.
    GO!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast