User Tag List

Thread: House Rabbit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House Rabbit

This is Chompsky. He lives in the house with me and my wife. I will be posting more about him. That is all for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: House Rabbit

Former house rabbit person here too. Loved the years with our house bunny. He was an absolute character who helped raise a toddler and a kitten. My daughter's first multi-syllabic phrase was "Bad bun!" when Riley tossed her toys out of his way.
    Photos coming later! Unfortunately, no bunny right now as our wheaten terrier is incompatible with other small pets...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had several. They’re a lot of work but a lot of fun as well.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not gonna lie, the thread title made me think of this:

I'd never actually heard of the term "house bunny" before seeing that movie, didn't realize rabbits made good freerange domestic pets, since every pet rabbit I'd ever encountered lived in a cage. Do they actually engage with humans, or are they insular and skittish like other small rodents?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a pets thread over in the Cycling Gallery (yeah, doesn't make much sense to me either, just go with it), where Chompsky would be a welcome regular occurrence.

Certainly bring some variety to the legion of dogs posted there, my own included.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I'd never actually heard of the term "house bunny" before seeing that movie, didn't realize rabbits made good freerange domestic pets, since every pet rabbit I'd ever encountered lived in a cage. Do they actually engage with humans, or are they insular and skittish like other small rodents?
    My limited experience (three house rabbits over the years) is that they can be very engaging and in at least one case, very confident and good with other house pets. Our last rabbit, Riley, was terrific. He got along great with my in-laws dog and our cat. The dog would stay with us when the in-laws traveled with zero issues. They rabbit and cat co-habitated with no problem. We were concerned when my (then) five year-old daughter wanted a kitten. We took the plunge and discovered they got along very well. They required no separation even when we were out of the house. I promise, photos coming later when I have a break from work!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughters have a rabbit at their mother's place. They asked me to keep it for a week when they went to visit their grandparents 2 months ago. I'm usually a pet guy (mostly cats) but I saw her more as an annoyance (kept trying to eat everything like walls, furnitures, electric cables while having limited social interaction.

Plus I kept being hungry at its sight. Maybe that is the reason she wasn't to keen on interacting more with me.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    My daughters have a rabbit at their mother's place. They asked me to keep it for a week when they went to visit their grandparents 2 months ago. I'm usually a pet guy (mostly cats) but I saw her more as an annoyance (kept trying to eat everything like walls, furnitures, electric cables while having limited social interaction.
    I had forgotten about hiding every electrical chord/cable in the "bunny approved" areas of the house. I repaired several sets of Christmas tree lights over the years due to Riley's sharp teeth. Speaking of areas of the house, the hardwood and tile floors in our kitchen and front hallway were natural bunny barriers. Rabbits don't like to walk anyplace they can't get good traction to run for safety. This limited Riley to our family room, breakfast nook, and laundry room (where we kept his litter box). Other bunny memories included the spring molt, where hair came off him in huge clumps. Fortunately, he never was too bothered by the vacuum, so I would brush the fur off him straight into a vacuum hose to keep things tidy.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Photos coming later!
    Looking forward to them.

Who turned the wifi off?

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    They’re a lot of work but a lot of fun as well.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    No slur on rodents, but this is Lagomorpha, not Rodentia. They have different personalities so I'm sure some are insular and/or skittish (skittish of course comes with being prey animals), but in our experience they certainly engage, if not quite like other pets.

Read this to me

It's been said cats treat you like servants, dogs like masters, and bunnies like equals, and that sounds about right to me. It's a big reason I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    There's a pets thread over in the Cycling Gallery (yeah, doesn't make much sense to me either, just go with it), where Chompsky would be a welcome regular occurrence.

Certainly bring some variety to the legion of dogs posted there, my own included.
    Thanks for the directions. He'll hop over at some point.

As further introduction, here are some videos we made earlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chompsky is much more articulate than I expected him to be. Does he have a side-gig as a linguist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but he does on occasion examine the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    No, but he does on occasion examine the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.
    From "Waiting for Chompky" :

“They give birth near a spinach garden, the light gleams an instant, then it's the cardboard tube once more.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few pictures of Riley, the mini lop bunny, with Cirrus, the rescue cat. An odd couple if ever there was one, but they got along wonderfully. Riley was confident and carefree as bunnies go, and Cirrus was gentle and trustworthy. They roamed the house together, with no need to separate them even if we weren't home. They've both gone on to pet heaven and we miss them very much!

Greg

Cirrus_08-06-04_0004.jpgCirrus_08-06-04_0009.jpgRiley_12-12-04_0001.jpgUnder_Tree_12-19-04_0003.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's very sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    From "Waiting for Chompky" :

“They give birth near a spinach garden, the light gleams an instant, then it's the cardboard tube once more.”
    I look forward to more.