Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any feedback on Turo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any feedback on Turo?

With the shortage of rental cars, I'm thinking of giving Turo a try as a renter.

Has anyone here tried it? The good, the bad, and the uglier are all appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, this should have been in the OT. If a Mod would move it, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by caleb; 05-06-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any feedback on Turo?

for the renter I think it will mostly work out ok. the one quibble I would have is that you have no idea what the maintenance history of the car you're renting really is. yeah people thrash on rental cars but the fleets keep up on the maintenance schedule, turn cars over pretty fast, and are going to take care of you pretty well if you have an issue.

for the owner (is carlord the right term here?) I think it's a bad play. the first problem is that enough people are going to undervalue their ownership costs that it's going to suppress market prices below what is sustainable. the second problem is that people thrash on rental cars and Turo's insurance is intentionally deceptive. I've heard horror stories about the policy the car owner bought into not actually covering anything when a car got too sideways and shit got real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    for the owner (is carlord the right term here?) I think it's a bad play. the first problem is that enough people are going to undervalue their ownership costs that it's going to suppress market prices below what is sustainable. the second problem is that people thrash on rental cars and Turo's insurance is intentionally deceptive. I've heard horror stories about the policy the car owner bought into not actually covering anything when a car got too sideways and shit got real.
    Good to know. I have no intention of "carlording" through them (great term), but your description doesn't surprise me. Like with Uber, it's likely to be a model that exploits the desire/need for drawing quick cash out of a vehicle, rather than a sustainable business. As a consumer, that's... not a great way to vote with your dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Turo once three years ago in Denver when there was a convention happening and no rental cars (or rooms) were available. It worked out great - late model in great condition. I returned it to owners house and the owners wife dropped us at the airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was in Hawaii about two years ago and needed a car for the day. Rented a Miata for the day for less than the RT taxi/Uber fare would have been from where I was to the airport. The clutch had seen better days, and the car wasn't in very good shape overall, but I got to drive around Maui for a day in a manual convertible for about $80.

If I were going to be a "carlord" on Turo, I think I would buy interesting cars that were nearing the end of their useful life, advertise them as such, and price accordingly. No way I'd ever rent out my personal car.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk