User Tag List

Thread: Loft a bed solutions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loft a bed solutions

We need an extra bedroom but aren't finding much in our apartment search. So I'm exploring the possibility of staying in our current apartment which would mean we would need to put our bed in the air to utilize space underneath. I glanced at IKEA but I think we need something else as this is our matrimony bed. It's small af for a couple the metric dimensions are 135 x 200 which is a little longer than what I would call a standard small ass two-person bed. We do not sleep in a Queen that's for sure.

Surely it's not that hard to jack a bed in the air so hoping for some solutions that we could pull off here either DIY (hire someone) or purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Loft a bed solutions

it's a great space saving idea.

i've built loft beds for two pals that live in tiny NYC apartments, custom fit to the space they had available. If you understand basic building techniques and remember that triangles are strong, this is an easy weekend job for most people with the most basic tools.

remember though, you'll need to literally climb into bed every night, and if you injure yourself or something, it may make getting into bed every single night a real chore.

if you have the space, a solution like the below is good with regular steps and a landing area versus the more space saving ladder approach.

good luck. if i were in barcelona, i'd help you knock this out in a couple hours and trip to home depot or whatever they call the big box home improvement store over there. building stuff is fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a Captain's bed made when I renovated our apartment: 18 drawers underneath with full-length slides. Hoisted the bed and made for tons of storage in our 440 sq ft apartment. Money well spent.

Something like this but made of Finn plywood and ash for less money by a local friend.

https://www.flybynight.com/alder-6-3-tall-queen-size-2
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is IKEA's option which does fit our mattress. We are not pee-ers in the middle of the night which is good.

@AngryScientist she's a beaut that's exactly what I need. Triangles are strong I'm going to requote you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    This is IKEA's option which does fit our mattress. We are not pee-ers in the middle of the night which is good.

@AngryScientist she's a beaut that's exactly what I need. Triangles are strong I'm going to requote you.

That Ikea thing would fold like a deck cards if you use your bed for other things besides sleeping. I wouldn't trust that with a kid over 10 yrs old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How high are your ceilings?

What are your apartment walls made out of?

Is the room square/rectangular?

Where are the windows?
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-28-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murphy Bed:
    https://www.rockler.com/i-semble-ver...tress-platform

And a real life install video:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    We had a Captain's bed made when I renovated our apartment: 18 drawers underneath with full-length slides. Hoisted the bed and made for tons of storage in our 440 sq ft apartment. Money well spent.

Something like this but made of Finn plywood and ash for less money by a local friend.

https://www.flybynight.com/alder-6-3-tall-queen-size-2
    Jinx. I traded my work for a clients carpentry skills many yrs. ago for something similar.

Loft beds are very easy to make. You can do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d second the suggestion for a Murphy. Could also be built with shelving or workspace that automatically folds in as well.
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resource Furniture sells wall-beds. They are different from Murphy beds in that they are a piece of furniture - desk or couch or other - during the day and then bed as needed. The units are made in Italy (or were) so I presume some place similar carries them in Spain.

https://resourcefurniture.com/

I think unless you have high ceilings and rooms with larger dimensions, an elevated bed will just look like you are sleeping in your kids’ room. The above are real beds for actual adults. They just disappear during the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely it's not that hard to jack a bed in the air so hoping for some solutions that we could pull off here either DIY (hire someone) or purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Loft beds are very easy to make. You can do this.
    fwiw 30-something years ago I DIY'd my girlfriend's bed 8' up in the air, just using a 4x6, several 2x4s, a sheet of plywood, and a few lag bolts and angle irons. Totally ghetto, was definitely not elegant or stylish, but it allowed her to live with all her possessions in a <70sq.ft. room without feeling cramped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff like this (i.e. a loft) is super-easy if you're willing to put up with ugly joist hangers. They won't look terribly elegant, but they will make the joints much simpler. I suppose it will look better if you paint the whole thing when you're done.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Joist-hange...are/4294711039

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is IKEA's option which does fit our mattress.
    I think I had this unit in my first apartment. I cut the bottom of the legs off for proper bed-to-ceiling clearance. I think I had a desk or chair or something underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    That Ikea thing would fold like a deck cards if you use your bed for other things besides sleeping. I wouldn't trust that with a kid over 10 yrs old.
    It worked just fine for all things you might use a bed for. It's an IKEA product - it's not a vertically compliant, laterally stiff ride, but it'll get you from point A to point B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    It worked just fine for all things you might use a bed for. It's an IKEA product - it's not a vertically compliant, laterally stiff ride, but it'll get you from point A to point B.
    I am pretty sure it is noisy to the point of being scared of while having sex.

What about solutions where the bed stays vertical against the wall for most of the day? Obviously there are cons as you can't put shelves pr other furnitures against that wall space (but I can imagine you could put some TV or computer screen at the bottom of the bed so as to not waste that space) and you might need other furnitures (tables, desks, chairs) on wheels so you can push them aside before going to bed.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-02-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also what about retractable ceiling beds?

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

What about solutions where the bed stays vertical against the wall for most of the day? Obviously there are cons as you can't put shelves pr other furnitures against that wall space (but I can imagine you could put some TV or computer screen at the bottom of the bed so as to not waste that space) and you might need other furnitures (tables, desks, chairs) on wheels so you can push them aside before going to bed.
    That's exactly the sort of thing Resource Furniture builds. Pre-covid, we were considering custom versions of several styles they do that are a couch by day and a bed by night. Put the TV on the opposite wall and you have a nice movie room. Our guest room in the city is completely unused, except for suitcase storage and the guest bed. The company can build the bed and surrounding shelves to accommodate a closet, making it effectively deeper and wider by removing the closet door frame. We'll see whether we do it in a year.

They also make their units as a stand-alone.

But these are not IKEA budget range, so might not fit Hollis' plans.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-02-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books