User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dearest friends across the pond. Can we talk about VAT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dearest friends across the pond. Can we talk about VAT?

If the queen wants her taxes, she can collect them herself. Asking international retailers to collect and remit your VAT is a bridge to far. Complying with this absurd request will only allow them to keep their head fully up their arse.

We stopped doing consumer direct shipments to the UK post brexit and defer everything through our partner in the UK. Business with them is unchanged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not clear to me how this is enforced or tracked or synchronized.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    The ONLY thing that pops up and could work would be to ask UK buyers to gather round the hearth and agree with friends to buy enough to surpass USA VAT collection thus pushing VAT collection back to UK authorities. As said before the amount needed to pass threshold is less than $200.

Is this particular pickle, small sales, ment to create new business enterprise within the UK I wonder?
    I assume you thougt of this, but is it not an option to work with a shop or a distributor within the UK? would likely cut into profits, but could potentially streamline things... also, less trips to the post office fwiw.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I assume you thougt of this, but is it not an option to work with a shop or a distributor within the UK? would likely cut into profits, but could potentially streamline things... also, less trips to the post office fwiw.
    Fair enough Bill, that is a way to solve this. My "issue" which I've not expressed, my bad, is I favor direct sales to customers either from myself or a shop. When shop owners sell directly to people the products are well understood by the customer. When distributors or web sales become involved customers are, in my esteem, less well served.

I'm funny that way.

I sell direct to a bunch of shops in the USA, Europe not so much. That may change given the climate.

Jake, those are the Brexit rules. I can not 'mansplain them away. They iz what they iz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a real headache.

On the UK economy, I think they will be fine in the near to medium term as I suspect they will see recovery and even growth ahead of us Continental cousins. People keep saying that the Brits shot themselves in the foot, but I think the EU did exactly that in the last year and will take a long time to recover, I'm afraid.

This "mess" is actually quite cunning, whether it was intended or not, since it basically forces the seller to work with a UK-based intermediary or set up a UK-based affiliate to make it commercially viable.

Toots, I believe there are several solutions to your problem, but it all depends on how much trade you have or expect to have with the UK market. In other words, the larger the amount, the more options become available. However, I think the lowest threshold for such options would be about £50k in annual trade. An alternative way to measure this is in terms of units shipped rather than value, again, depending on the option at hand. Anyway, shoot me an email if you want to discuss more details.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Chik, your thoughts are always well regarded in my world.
    I'm a very small fish so the "fix" as it were will be more legwork on my part. I'll start by picking up the phone and talking directly with some of the larger Brit shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Thanks Chik, your thoughts are always well regarded in my world.
    I'm a very small fish so the "fix" as it were will be more legwork on my part. I'll start by picking up the phone and talking directly with some of the larger Brit shops.
    Have Condor Cycles bought into the voodoo yet? Andrea's been a little quiet these days...

Pearson in Richmond is probably a good candidate.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Have Condor Cycles bought into the voodoo yet? Andrea's been a little quiet these days...

Pearson in Richmond is probably a good candidate.
    Thanks, I need good recommends. Condor Cycles is represented here on V. They are not a listed stockist....yet ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had similar rules in Australia and New Zealand for a few years now. It's a pita for a business but great for a consumer and presumably pretty good for the tax coffers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what, you Vemno the Queen a few bucks (err, quid) here and there? Post a cheque?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12