User Tag List

Thread: man purse/ murse/ satchel/ musette

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default man purse/ murse/ satchel/ musette

I need a small bag for daily, office use. Ideally like a heavy duty musette, to carry office stuffs + lunch, the occasional bubbly water. Casual environment + some bike use, so I'm sticking with Cordura or the like, rather than leather/ cotton.

I've found the IF Musette for the most minimal use, but also Mr. Sachs' Mini...both from Baileyworks.

I think something in the middle would be most ideal (mainly the adjustable strap), but...can't seem to find 'it'. Y'all know of anything?
    Last edited by dashDustin; 04-27-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: man purse/ murse/ satchel/ musette

Check out Tom Binh and Waterfield Design (SF Bags).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm a big fan of timbuktu bags. they are really well made, affordable and i think they still have a lifetime warranty. the mini or micro would probably suit your needs.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-messenger-bags

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ beat me to it. I have used the same Timbuk2 classic messenger bag for this very thing since the last century, and black is the new black around the office and other non-bike civilian settings.

https://www.timbuk2.com/products/110...-messenger-bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of options from Topo Designs. I've got a couple of their bags and really like them: https://topodesigns.com/collections/...gs-accessories

ILE may not have the style bag you're looking for, but they also make nice stuff: https://ilequipment.com/collections/backpacks
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Lots of options from Topo Designs. I've got a couple of their bags and really like them: https://topodesigns.com/collections/...gs-accessories
    They've been popping up on my grams and FB a lot since I've started this search. Wasn't sure if they were legit, or just heavy with social medias. Good to know you approve.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    They've been popping up on my grams and FB a lot since I've started this search. Wasn't sure if they were legit, or just heavy with social medias. Good to know you approve.
    They make my favorite hiking shorts ever. And my backpack has been going strong for a couple years. We got my son a mini version of mine, though I can't really say he's put it through the paces given he's not even 5. I like the stuff, though. You can also get some kinda out there color schemes or go very understated.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha Small Travel Backpack. I have the big one, and it is great. The small one should be great too but smaller. Still holds a 13" laptop. Separate organizer pocket. Best part is the zippered divider. Keep whatnots in one side and whatsits in the other. Open the bag and the whatsits stay put while you dig through the whatnots. And it is reflective. Heavy duty material. Nicely contoured straps.

Last edited by j44ke; 04-27-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used a Freitag messenger bag for over a decade...it likely will outlive me. Made from recycled seatbelts and truck tarps, it projects a certain cool without being too hip. Nice enough for dragging to office and work meetings...maybe not as serious as a leather brief case but it passes for most any situation. The waist belt makes it work great on a bike too. Extremely versatile... its even waterproof which means you can fill it with ice and bring cold bevies to get a party started (and arrive dry)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, ended up with Topo Designs Block Bag

https://topodesigns.com/products/blo...28866366636085

and a Timbuk2 in XS...both purchased via Amazon Warehouse, so combined I'm out less than full pop on the Block Bag.

Block Bag is nice. Good construction. Interior is yellow, so it's easy to find stuff. No random pieces of fabric to get caught in any zipper. Only 'complaint' is that I wish the top opened up more. We'll see. So far it's done exactly what I've wanted it to. Timbuk2 should be here Friday.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and I'm back!

So both of these bags are working well.

Now I need something bigger to carry a 13" Macbook along with an iPad, but will work as "personal item" on an airline.

I've used my old RELoad messenger in instances like this, but hated it. The shoulder strap was way, way too stiff. Great for on the bike, shitty when storing under a seat. That had a pretty lasting effect, as I've been too paranoid to ever carry a personal item since, unless it was small enough to cram into the seatpocket.

So far, I'm liking these:

https://www.sfbags.com/products/outb...31915563679827 - seems pretty much perfect, functionally. But oof. That's spendy for the little use it'll get.

https://topodesigns.com/collections/...28866216722485 - really can't find any cons here, other than laptop might have to live in a separate sleeve within the bag. And being unsure of size...that whole personal item issue.

What I'll be carrying - laptop, ipad, power bank, and a couple cables. Maybe a mouse.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion is to call Bailey Works and tell them what you want, and they’ll make it.

I wore out a Timbuk2 Dee Dog - had it from 2002 to 2020. bought a Bailey Super Pro. It’s awesome and does “all the things.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Check out Tom Binh and Waterfield Design (SF Bags).
    So, yeah....I'm gonna predict that you and my cat* will cost me a lot of money.

Never got around to carrying my Macbook, because I was able to do most of what I needed on my iPad. However, I recently went down the Tom Bihn rabbit hole following my cat peeing on my carry-on bag. While he and I have since made up, I did need a new carry-on. Typically my carry-on is a backpack, and I needed one immediately, so I just went and grabbed a North Face Borealis from REI. But I've easily spent at least 2hrs digging through Tom Bihn's website admiring damn near every single product of theirs. In of moment of weakness, I grabbed a Le Grande Derriere. And a couple smaller organizing pouches. This could become a habit.

-Dustin