I guess technically we're getting a corona puppy. We've been considering our first dog for our family for awhile but the past year plus was definitely the tipping point. I narrowed it down to a German shorthaired pointer (had one growing up) or a labrador. I talked on the phone to a wonderful GSP breeder in Romania but a couple days ago I did a 180 and circled back to labs. If I were getting a dog just for me I would have already gotten a GSP. My wife wanted a dog growing up but her parents never let her get one so this will be her first dog. I've always been lab curious and I think a lab is more of a family dog; our kids are almost 9 and 11. I've had a German shorthair and a pointer is more of a lifestyle dog because they rev so high. A GSP will adapt but I think they thrive in the country. So bring on the shedding and weight gain in their later years, we're going to get a lab from a breeder in the Basque Country. I really feel good about her. Our first choice is a chocolate from the two dogs below. Both were born in the Finnish Laplands to a breeder who they say is one of the most important lab breeders of this century.

esme.jpg

tabasco.jpg

The same two dogs were bred last summer but the frozen semen kit arrived late due to the pandemic and only two females were born. So the breeder is doing a second litter this summer and plans to keep a female for her kennel. She sent me the pics of both females from last summer and this chubby girl below is amazing.

chocolate_1.jpg

chocolate_2.jpg

I had rescue dogs growing up, a GSP from a breeder, an Old English Sheepdog, and there's something about supporting breeders who are passionate about what they do. It's a love of labor and it shows.

I'm writing because I've never trained a dog. I want to possibly take an obedience course early on with this pup and really work for a well-trained lab. I fly fish but I won't rule out going out once or twice to shoot a bird for dinner. I don't know anything about hunting but where I fish there are hunting lodges all around so I know they would help put me on quail or some game birds. I would do this mostly for the dog and possibly to have my son and/or daughter there for the experience of working for our dinner. I also wouldn't rule out field trials on a recreational level nothing too serious so holler if anyone has done this for I don't know anything, but I would be interested possibly for something to work towards.

Since I've been out of the game (dogs) for so long I'd like to lean on Salonistas to share their wisdom for me. What have you learned, what do you suggest I keep in mind, anything, everything for this little fellow is going to change our world when he or she arrives. Our first choice is a chocolate from the parents above but we also said we would consider a male with a sturdy blocky head which would be black. The black litters are this summer and the chocolate litter isn't until fall. We're not in a huge rush but I'm already looking at collars and crates.

Can I ask lab owners one thing: will a heavy dog like these labs run alongside me at a moderate pace on the bike? I've never owned a lab and don't see them running like a German shorthair. Does anyone have a lab with a similar build who can comment as to how much they will or won't run? I know you're not supposed to exercise them properly until a year and a half but just curious. I posted a thread about a bike trailer. I would like to take the dog to the beach to fetch a dummy in the water and also on a gravel road overlooking the city to run through the woods.

We're really excited about whatever nature brings us. What do you wish you knew or wish you had done differently? As I said this will be my wife and kids' first dog. I think I'm putting them in a great place. I've been reading up on Ducks Unlimited a little bit for I want to train the dog to retrieve even though we won't be hunters. I may take the dog fly fishing occasionally but have no idea how that would work as fishing is hard enough on my own. Thanks for any lab wisdom.