Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Family tv series

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Family tv series

I would venture into the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is stellar. But, Clone Wars and Rebels have proven to be just as good in story and character development once you get past the CGI/Cartoon element. In the coming months Disney will be releasing stand alone seasons featuring Boba Fett, Ahsoka Tano, and Obi Wan Kenobi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Heartland.

It puts my head to sleep, horses, more horses and most shows are about horses. What could be wrong with that?
    My kids love this show. Potentially expensive show since we are now mini-horse shopping.

They also enjoyed Blown Away (season 2, didn't see season 1) and forged in fire.

And Star Wars.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    My wife and 9 year old like the Great British Baking Show.
    PBS runs the Paul & Mary version, the later versions without Mary aren't as good.
    Plus the kids get to learn a foreign language.
    Lots of faffing about with strong flour & golden syrup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Star Wars- the Bad Batch starts soon too which looks fun.

Marvel has drawn me in of late. Falcon and Winter Soldier and all the films. I need to give Wanda Vision another shot- I hear it really starts to come together after 3-4 episodes.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Re: Star Wars- the Bad Batch starts soon too which looks fun.

Marvel has drawn me in of late. Falcon and Winter Soldier and all the films. I need to give Wanda Vision another shot- I hear it really starts to come together after 3-4 episodes.
    Right! How could I forget the Bad Batch (my son's favourite)?

Also, the thing I enjoy about the Mandalorian is the one episode per week. It transformed our Friday nights as a family. We all looked forward to sitting down after dinner (Steak and truffle fries!) to watch the next episode. For me, the process is nostalgic...it was how I watched TV with my parents when I was a kid. You don't necessarily get that anymore in the current binge-watch culture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to go off on a tangent but the competition cooking shows are a little off putting to me. The British baking show isn't too bad because they do explain stuff but I wish there were more cooking shows where they taught you stuff that you could apply in everyday circumstances and not turn a basic human need into some kind of artificial drama. I have to explore that Americas Test Kitchen show if that is still around but more of those would be interesting, at least to me. Maybe they could generate the drama they need by staging a grease fire and showing how you put it out, or what happens when you turn on the stand mixer too high and pour in flour, there's a lot of opportunity there. But add in knife skills or spice combinations or other seemingly basic but really not kind of stuff while you're showing how to make real food.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they like cooking shows, check out the CNN series "Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy".
    It's pretty good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Not to go off on a tangent but the competition cooking shows are a little off putting to me. The British baking show isn't too bad because they do explain stuff but I wish there were more cooking shows where they taught you stuff that you could apply in everyday circumstances and not turn a basic human need into some kind of artificial drama. I have to explore that Americas Test Kitchen show if that is still around but more of those would be interesting, at least to me. Maybe they could generate the drama they need by staging a grease fire and showing how you put it out, or what happens when you turn on the stand mixer too high and pour in flour, there's a lot of opportunity there. But add in knife skills or spice combinations or other seemingly basic but really not kind of stuff while you're showing how to make real food.
    You should check out Good Eats with Alton Brown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    Peter,
    Add The Wire to your list.
    By
    Awe...I only have Netflix.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We like Archibald's Next Big Thing on Netflix. I see now that it has moved the new episodes to Peacock. My daughter also likes the Addams family but I am pretty sure she has no idea what she is watching. She is four.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gilmore Girls
    We watched it in real time with our kids. An now we are watching again because we don't remember what happens.

Be careful with the cooking shows. Your family dinners will never be the same and your kids will not be happy with lowly German Steel.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in a related matter, what TV show compilations should I get on DVD? (gotta be DVD, no streaming, since I don't have high-speed internet)

My all-time favorites are Star Trek TNG and The X-Files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    So in a related matter, what TV show compilations should I get on DVD? (gotta be DVD, no streaming, since I don't have high-speed internet)

My all-time favorites are Star Trek TNG and The X-Files.
    Fawlty Towers.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Fawlty Towers.
    I'd go thru Monty Python first, then Fawlty Towers.
    Continue with Rumpole of the Bailey, accompanied
    by a glass of Chateau Thames Embankment.

Just don't mention the war...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got 8 or 9 seasons of Project Runway and my kids are both already doing a runway strut. That's the kind of thing that doesn't occur to you until you watch that your kids have never seen a model walk down a runway.

We also got the first season of Heartland. That looks like a show I would never watch but I kind of want something wholesome for some of Project Runway and even Top Chef is a little inappropriate for my kids who are almost 9 and 11. My brother lives in Calgary so I'm looking forward to the Alberta setting plus I love horses. I hope y'all weren't joking about the recommendation and we watch some throwaway coming of age story about a Canadian tween who has an affinity for all things equine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been really enjoying The Pack on Amazon Prime. It's kind of a no-drama Survivor where people compete in challenges with their dogs in locations around the world. It's hosted by Lindsey Vonn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Pack looks interesting. I was a Lindsey Vonn fan when she was killing it on skis like Bode Miller back in the day.

I'm still not sure whether the people who recommended Heartland were kidding or not but my son and I are really enjoying it. It's a little odd watching a tween show but I think it's important for my son to watch a wholesome series. My brother lives in Calgary so we can relate to the Alberta scenery. The story is mostly coming of age and family dysfunction but it's good viewing; the overriding horse plot never gets old. I can't believe there are 14 seasons!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We enjoy watching Nailed It! On Netflix. The kids love it and Nicole and Jacques are really quite lovely together.
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought of another. We streamed Legomasters on Hulu when it first came out and really liked it. As a family we've averaged about 2 or 3 lego kits a year (my kids are 7 and 10), so I wouldn't say we're that into legos, but the show was fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fosters. I can't think of a better show to teach diversity and inclusion, plus some good general life lessons, to the next generation - all wrapped up in an engaging and heartwarming package - though it does go PG-13 at times.. And after that series is done, the parents can move on to watching Good Trouble - which is a more adult spinoff on the Freeform network that pics up where The Fosters leaves off with two of the main characters (and cameos by more of the original cast). Both series are available on Hulu I think.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2262532/
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast