User Tag List

Thread: Passover 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Passover 2021

We are not hosting this year and are fortunate that a good friend is gathering a few of us vaccinated folks for the occasion.

My food assignment is a veg. dish and feel like the luckiest guy 'cause I love making root veg. dish.

There is nothing more basic and earthy than a roasting pan full of cubed root vegetables, EVO, Salt, Pepper and fresh herbs. This barely needs instructions other than cube things according to how fast they cook, remember to toss things around 1/2 way thru. Oven temp of 350F is fine. I like roughly ground pepper over all. If you have it lay a few springs of fresh rosemary ontop of the dish before you cover it and let the steam do the work.

What cha' got?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Passover 2021

Just made roasted root veggies myself. I try to avoid he obvious potatoes or carrots. Unfortunately I"m no vaccinated yet although I made my first appointment . -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Just made roasted root veggies myself. I try to avoid he obvious potatoes or carrots. Unfortunately I"m no vaccinated yet although I made my first appointment . -Mike G
    Congratulations on the poke. I'll make sure to keep the root'iness interesting. Good tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Congratulations on the poke. I'll make sure to keep the root'iness interesting. Good tip.
    LOL! Yesterday was beets, parsnips and turnips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

after finally coming to terms with my matzo ball addiction, i've realized that IDGAF about the other shit. Basically, if one has 100 bites of food to consume, i spend 80 on matzo balls, 5 on homemade fish stuff, 10 on dessert, and take 5 random bites of the main course. therefore, i have removed myself from the food debate. long live the matzo ball.

btw, we roast all veggies @ 400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few years back my uncle made an absolutely killer matzoh mushroom kugel, I should try and get that recipe...

Otherwise, our usual plates are gefilte, some boiled and salted eggs and potatoes, fresh salad, farfel muffins and other odds and ends.

No gathering for us this year, but I think we're doing a dish-swap with my folks.

chag Pesach sameach, y'all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the meat front, I picked up a leg of lamb yesterday afternoon and had the butcher half it since there's only two of us.

I just set up the braise for tonight.

General approach here: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...d-Leg-of-Lamb/
    Last edited by caleb; 03-25-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    after finally coming to terms with my matzo ball addiction, i've realized that IDGAF about the other shit. Basically, if one has 100 bites of food to consume, i spend 80 on matzo balls, 5 on homemade fish stuff, 10 on dessert, and take 5 random bites of the main course. therefore, i have removed myself from the food debate. long live the matzo ball.

btw, we roast all veggies @ 400.
    I went with 400F this time. *Had to make the dish ahead. Oh I have a busy life ;)

MWYNNE you reminded me of a favorite thing. When I was a kid, we would take the leftover matoh mix it with eggs and some spices to make "french toast". Sounds weird.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-25-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Too Tall - matzoh bree, an absolutely favourite treat of mine. We always soaked the matzoh briefly in warm water, squeeze it dry-ish and crumble it. Beat in eggs (I like a ration of 2 eggs to 3 sheets of matzoh), and any seasonings (usually just salt and pepper for me), then fry! We would do both savoury (hot sauce, etc) and sweet (maple syrup) toppings as desired! Makes for a mighty fine breakfast, and something I happily eat al through the year, in fact. I do all sorts of variations on it - think about your favourite omelette fillings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@ Too Tall and mwynne ... Matzoh bree / french toast is an absolute standard around here. Lots of focus is applied to get the right clumping, crispiness, soft centers, etc etc. Its a legit art and breakfast discussion.