Thread: Hearing Aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hearing Aids

Paging hearing loss experts.

Been to several audiologists over the past 10+ years. Each one arrives at an unusual diagnosis - I can "try" hearing aids, but they might not work for me. Given the historical cost and my preference to spend discretionary $ on bikes, I've yet to part with the cash. Aware of the Costco option.

Three years ago I tried a few OTC / consumer audio products that basically pair BT earbuds or headphones with app-driven DSP. Doppler Labs, Nuheara, Nura, and Bose.

Here's the thing: I've got an inverted hearing curve. I have exceptionally good high frequency and low frequency hearing. I hear stuff many other people don't. Mid-range is the problem - I either don't hear it, don't understand it, or perceive something else entirely. A running sink or a fan in the kitchen neutralizes me. Forget about conversation in a bar or a crowded space. Social bike rides are hit or miss, I need to be in the right position next to someone - not ahead or behind, unless they are speaking directly to me.

Using the DSP tuning that the consumer products provide, it's like I have super hearing. I can fully and clearly hear my kids speaking from the other end of the house.

So the things that have been holding me back from getting fit for "proper" hearing aids are cost, uncertainty about user control, and complete lack of confidence in the audiologists I've met - who seem to be unaware of what's available in the consumer space and how it compares to what they prescribe, which they also have low confidence in for my situation.

My questions...

Can anyone here comment on how proper hearing aids compare to, say, Nuheara? I know, I need to suck it up and just get fit.

Anyone have a similar hearing profile (weak midrange)? Any specific product reco?

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid-range is where my loss is most profound. I'm about to get the latest Oticons which are cloud connected (read: thousands of matching sound scenarios).

I've got no experience with the OTC devices you mention. What I'd like to offer is you have not found the right audiologist yet. Oticon does have a program whereby you can test run the device for 30 or 60 days no cost if you are not happy. That was the deal I got. Hope you can find the same or similar.

If you are in the DC Metro area I'll send you to my Doc....after she has her second baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post

Here's the thing: I've got an inverted hearing curve. I have exceptionally good high frequency and low frequency hearing. I hear stuff many other people don't. Mid-range is the problem - I either don't hear it, don't understand it, or perceive something else entirely. A running sink or a fan in the kitchen neutralizes me. Forget about conversation in a bar or a crowded space. Social bike rides are hit or miss, I need to be in the right position next to someone - not ahead or behind, unless they are speaking directly to me.
    Ah, you have the "Cookie Bite" curve. It is a little different... and it seems like it's usually medical in nature which is maybe why folks were having a hard time being confident about it.

I agree with toots, you haven't found the right person. Because of my healthcare being what it is (kaiser), I have seen a few different folks and all of them have been supremely helpful, even when I came at them with non-standard complaints. I'd keep trying.

Admittedly, having not tried OTC stuff, my impression is that the difference between assistive devices and medical hearing aids is the former is "wear on occasion" and the latter is "wear all the time". And the addition in price has a lot to do with the service you get from your audiologist (again... why you need to find a helpful one). When I went in for my latest adjustment she looked at the speaker wire and said "hmm, this is out of shape, why don't I replace these for you". And it was... I got it tangled up in my mask and hair and it was all twisted after like 2 weeks. So even though my aids were only 30 days old, new speakers, filters, and domes for no additional cost.

I'll also say as a new user, the 30-60 day trial is maybe a little misleading. It took me a full 30 days to get adjustments done and to feel comfortable with the aids in all day. It does take a while and a bit of patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearing Aide revisit/update. If you are not wildly happy with your audiologist, find a better one. After several years with who I thought was good I've observed that my audiologist has stopped being the right doc. for me. Literally across the road from me is a practice who only employs PHD audiologist and it shows. That's it, I'm done preaching for now ;)

Check this out....if you are worried about causing damage to your hearing aides during Bikram yoga try a set of the new (2023) airpod pro. With a print out of your audiogram in hand you will be able to take a picture of it and your apple phone is able to creat a pure tone audiometry chart from the picture. From there you can correct/adjust the +- Hertz levels than save it to your airpods!!!! No kidding the result is very passable for most of the things I do that involve sweating like a pig-dog and the airpods are close to waterproof and do not cost multiple thousands.

Here is a link to instructions: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/1...hone-tutorial/

Giddup cowpokes, we ain't afeerd of tech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh this is game changing information, thank you.

My HA’s are about four years old and rated IP-something but moisture still makes them conk out until they dry out. Happened twice last weekend- running a casual 3K with my kids (also happened to my son’s), and again when it rained on our (Memorial Day) parade. May need to check this out.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hearing Aide revisit/update. If you are not wildly happy with your audiologist, find a better one. After several years with who I thought was good I've observed that my audiologist has stopped being the right doc. for me. Literally across the road from me is a practice who only employs PHD audiologist and it shows. That's it, I'm done preaching for now ;)

Check this out....if you are worried about causing damage to your hearing aides during Bikram yoga try a set of the new (2023) airpod pro. With a print out of your audiogram in hand you will be able to take a picture of it and your apple phone is able to creat a pure tone audiometry chart from the picture. From there you can correct/adjust the +- Hertz levels than save it to your airpods!!!! No kidding the result is very passable for most of the things I do that involve sweating like a pig-dog and the airpods are close to waterproof and do not cost multiple thousands.

Here is a link to instructions: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2021/1...hone-tutorial/

Giddup cowpokes, we ain't afeerd of tech.
    So is the audio-in through the iPhone or do airPods have mics?
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-03-2023 at 04:45 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hearing Aide revisit/update. If you are not wildly happy with your audiologist, find a better one. After several years with who I thought was good I've observed that my audiologist has stopped being the right doc. for me.
    Yes to this 1000000%. I've had bad hearing since childhood. I was always told that frequent ear infections were the root cause and that one day I'd need HAs. I've had the same ENT for nearly 20 years and decided to part ways because of insurance coverage. Found a new doctor. She tested my hearing and found a congenital defect that was causing the hearing loss. Basically told me that most of what I've been told for 20+ years was outdated. Simple 30 minute surgery will likely spare me from needing HAs for a while longer.

Always good to get a second opinion or even switch providers to someone who may be more current.

I have a small rant about audiology and audiologists: I've had 7 hearing tests since February done by 4 or 5 different audiologists in the same office. No two tests were done the same way! There's a lot of variation in testing/practice. That's not how you do "science."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So is the audio-in through the iPhone or do airPods have mics?
    Airpods in transparency mode...they have mics.

Matt, I was in the same boat. FWIIW there is a new $3,000 dryer which pulls a vaccum (lowers the PP of H20 blah blah blah) and does an amazing job...but the silly thing is $3,000.

I found another way to turn up vol. on airpods beyond factory:

Connect your AirPods to your iPhone or iPad.
    Go to Settings > Accessibility > AirPods.
    Scroll down to find the Tone Volume slider, then adjust the volume up from 100% to 125%.

Careful with the EVH tracks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    ... She tested my hearing and found a congenital defect that was causing the hearing loss. Basically told me that most of what I've been told for 20+ years was outdated. Simple 30 minute surgery will likely spare me from needing HAs for a while longer.
    Going from 20 years of being told one thing then getting the news that a 30 minute surgery will help is simultaneously bad news and good news.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234