User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With All These Newfangled Razors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's Up With All These Newfangled Razors?

I honestly have not bought a new razor in decades: I'm still using the same Gillette Sensor handle that I bought in 1993. Sometime thereafter (though still in the 1990s) I upgraded to the Sensor Excel blades...and that's what I've been using ever since.

I don't really have any complaints per se. But I've been seeing all these swanky newfangled multi-blade razors showing up in stores and in my newsfeed lately, and I'm starting to wonder whether there's anything to them? I'd like to think that in nearly 30 years maybe technology has improved the simple wet shaving experience...maybe?

So what's the deal? Anyone using the Harry's 5-blade razor, or the Dollar Shave Club 4- or 6-blade razor? Are these all hype, or is there really something to these products that improves upon the experience of shaving with my antiquated Sensor Excel?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's Up With All These Newfangled Razors?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I honestly have not bought a new razor in decades: I'm still using the same Gillette Sensor handle that I bought in 1993. Sometime thereafter (though still in the 1990s) I upgraded to the Sensor Excel blades...and that's what I've been using ever since.

I don't really have any complaints per se. But I've been seeing all these swanky newfangled multi-blade razors showing up in stores and in my newsfeed lately, and I'm starting to wonder whether there's anything to them? I'd like to think that in nearly 30 years maybe technology has improved the simple wet shaving experience...maybe?

So what's the deal? Anyone using the Harry's 5-blade razor, or the Dollar Shave Club 4- or 6-blade razor? Are these all hype, or is there really something to these products that improves upon the experience of shaving with my antiquated Sensor Excel?

Thanks.
    I use Harry's. Mostly got into it because replacement razors were far cheaper than what I could get from the name brands (like my old Mach 3 blades). It does its job. If you are happy and not worried about saving a bit of money on razors I wouldn't bother switching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a subscription to Harry's. Every 3 months they send me razors, shave cream, face scrub, soap and shampoo. I got the subscription when Harry's first started because I hated trying to find the clerk at Duane Reade with the key to the locks on the razor blades. They've screwed up shipments twice (in 5 years?) and each time they sent me a box full of product as an apology. The shaver handle is pretty nicely shaped and the blades work well. Some people have a sensitivity to multi-blade razors. I have one to single blade razors, so Harry's blades are fine for me. Very sharp, rinse clean, last a while. I never run out before the next shipment. They make a foaming shave cream that is good, but I like their Noxzema-like shave cream in a tube better. Shampoo is high quality. Soap has great lather and good smells. Face scrub is addicting. No skin sensitivity there either that I can tell. Good stuff. I'd recommend trying it. I find shopping for that stuff a PITA so having it arrive at the house is A+ for me.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-09-2021 at 05:40 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real men just use a Norelco OneBlade and be done with it:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's up is that entrepreneurs have figured out how much profit is in disposable razors.

Oddly, I have found that the gray/orange BIC disposables work just as well for me and cost far less. Most of the time I use a high-end Panasonic electric as a wet shaver but the manual razors work better for me after a couple of days of stubble (I have heavy stubble).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These days I shave only when I start to look like a derelict and think a cheap razor might not be able to deal with it this time. It goes with my bicycle part ethos. Simplicity. Face hurts? Razor takes two passes to get all the hair? Who cares. Wash face, put on shirt, get a cup of coffee and get to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Harry’s. Gives me a great shave and a blade lasts me a week’s worth of shaves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used a Gillette Mach 3 since around the time they were introduced in the late 90s, but last year while stuck at home I decided to try an old school safety razor and have been using it since. It requires a different technique and everyone's face and hair are different so I can't say if it's right for anyone else. A pack of 100 safety razor blades is pretty cheap. I didn't toss my Gillette, but I've used it only 2-3 times in the last year.

A few years ago I tried Harry's and quickly realized that 3 blades is definitely the max for my face. I didn't get along with that stuff.

With the Gillette I settle on an unscented gel that worked well. With the safety razor I started using Cremo and I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried a few things including an old fashioned safety razor (super cheap) and one of those subscription models (found that one tore up my face) but I haven't found anything that beats a Gilette Proglide - I didn't find the electric one made any difference but you can get big packs of the blades on sale so it's not too bad. The baldes for the Fusion models are cheaper and the only difference seems to be the sticky strip along the top which doesn't do anything anyway.

My dodgy conspiracy theory is that I think that all the fancy gels they sell are actually rust promoters - I found the blades got dull quite quickly but now I just use a plain soap (a holdover from when I was doing the safety razor and soapy brush thing) and they last much better. Granted I only shave twice per week at the moment (wearing a mask all day at work has benefits) but I get months before I need to change it. Keeping it clean and dry definitely prolongs the life of them.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capitalizing on its recent notoriety, Gorilla has come out with a line of depilatory tape.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As razor blades have gotten wider to accommodate even more blades and manufacturers have taken to adding glide strips or lubrication strips or whatever I find it harder to get close under the nose. As a result I usually end up with tufts of unshaven beard under my nose that makes me look even older and less precise than I actually am. I am looking at you Harry's.

I have a disposable twin blade that I keep in the drawer for just that final cleanup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Gillette one I like has a single blade on the reverse for precisely that - gets that little bit under the nose you can’t reach with the main blades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone use a sharpener? Friend of mine swears by his, says he can get them just as sharp as they are out of the box, saves a ton....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go with www.shavemob.com. 4-blade variety. Wifey and I both get our razors from there...she gets the 5-blade one. No complaints, super cheap. Longevity is inconsistent, but I use them well past their intended lifespan. Their 5-blade women's head was the best shave I've had in a long, long time. So when I run out of my 4-blades, I'll be swapping to those.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dollar shave club 2 blade and I absolutely love their Shave Butter. Try it, it'll change your life man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    My dodgy conspiracy theory is that I think that all the fancy gels they sell are actually rust promoters - I found the blades got dull quite quickly but now I just use a plain soap (a holdover from when I was doing the safety razor and soapy brush thing) and they last much better.
    The guy who cuts my hair said the best shaving cream was any high-quality hair conditioner. He was right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually bought a new razor last week. A Parker 96R. I was on the website where I buy shave soap and started looking at razors. So for the first time in about 20 years I bought a new one, just feels sinfully luxurious having a fancy new razor. I still use the same 20 cent Astra blades , but I got a fancy new butterfly opening razor!

I feel a billionaire!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't shaved in a year. Probably more. But not in at least 12 months. When I do shave again it will be with my old Gillette or Mergress XL.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I haven't shaved in a year. Probably more. But not in at least 12 months. When I do shave again it will be with my old Gillette or Mergress XL.
    I was waiting for the OGs to get in here. We used to talk about resurrecting fat boys for leg shaving, not VC subscription services.

...although my wife did not like the super speed, and Harry’s does seem to be the least silly of the new services.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I like the look of that, especially the weight. But if I have to wait another 20 years to buy a new one, I’ll be 80 years old ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast