User Tag List

Thread: Assistance requested for braising beef shanks (osso buco style)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Assistance requested for braising beef shanks (osso buco style)

Mainly in two areas. First is that the meat falls off of the bone when cooked using a pressure cooker, and I'm not sure it's all that tender either. This happened with both veal shanks and beef shanks (though the veal shanks were tender like they were supposed to be). Is there a trick re: how they should be positioned during cooking? Or perhaps should I just get some twines?

The other has to do with the "bloodiness" taste of the meat. I don't know if that's the right term to use, but it's a bit pungent (in a not so good way). FWIW, this wasn't an issue with the veal shanks, nor was it an issue with steak cuts (all from the same butcher shop, and all are grass-fed and finished). The smell was noticeable as soon as I unwrapped the beef shanks from its packaging, and for whatever reason, that particular smell/taste didn't go away during the cooking process, and I'm wondering if there's something else I could do.

I've had beef shanks osso-buco style at restaurants before, and those certainly didn't have the bloodiness issue. So I'm thinking there must be something I could do to take care of it. Perhaps marinading in something alcoholic ahead of time? Previously, I've had similar issues when buying stew beef, and the taste was so damn awful that I basically stopped buying beef other than the occasional steak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Assistance requested for braising beef shanks (osso buco style)

I recommend against using grass-fed beef. I can't say for certain, but this is likely the root of your issues with the smell and flavor of the beef. 86 the pressure cooker.

Butcher twine is worth a try; good thought there. This is not an easy dish to nail and it is one of those that is often easier to do in larger batches. I know people love their pressure cookers and they have their place for some things, but that is not my tool for osso bucco. Old school braising in cast iron/enameld cast iron would be my recommendation. Even sous vide over pressure cooker in my opinion, but if my wife asked for osso bucco this week it's getting made in a Le Creuset for sure. There is Maillard reaction happening on the surface of the meat and liquid/aromatics as the hot oven air enters the partially opened lid of a Dutch oven that you are not getting with a pressure cooker or sous vide. And with a pressure cooker the temps are just too high to achieve the texture you are after.

How are you serving them? It's hard to beat setting them atop some good grits/polenta in a coupe style bowl with a handful of fresh parsley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned above, DO NOT use a pressure cooker. Osso Buco takes time and love. I would highly recommend making this at least 24 hours in advance. In my restaurant, I would make these a day ahead and let the flavors meld. Most restaurant food is so good because it is made at least a day serving.

1C Flour
    2 carrots, diced
    2 celery ribs, diced
    6 garlic cloves, sliced
    1C dry red wine
    4C veal or chicken stock
    3C chicken stock
    3C canned plum tomatoes, drained and crushed
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    1 bay leaf

A large pan like a hotel pan or a deep casserole dish that is oven proof.

Lay the shanks in pan and sprinkle liberally with salt, and let sit, refrigerated, for at least 2 hours. (You can also brine with salt and water for 24hrs.)

Rinse the shanks and pat dry. With butchers twine, wrap each shank once so that it holds the meat and bone together. Season with pepper.

Heat a large casserole or hotel pan over high heat, add oil and let heat.

In a shallow bowl, add flour and dredge shanks. Shake excess off and place in hot pan. Brown shanks for about 5 minutes on each side or until browned on each side. Remove and set aside. Make sure to change the oil if it gets dark.

After browning, add carrots, celery and onion to the pan and cook over medium high heat, after one minute add garlic cloves. Cook for 3-4 minutes max, stirring occasionally. Add red wine, bring to boil, and cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half.

Add stocks, tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf to the pan. Add the shanks back to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the liquid boils, cover with tin foil, transfer to a 350* oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender and falling off the bone.

Remove the herbs from the braising liquid and discard. Let the shanks stay in the liquid and let cool. I like to wait overnight as the flavors will really meld.

Remove the shanks and strain liquid through cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer into a pot. Bring liquid to boil over medium high heat, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until reduced by 1/4. Make sure to skim off any foam or grease that is on top during this time. Return vegetables to sauce and taste for seasoning.

Serve the shank with the sauce and vegetables poured over. As mentioned above, I would use polenta, or mashed potatoes. The traditional way is a very nice risotto topped with horseradish, lemon zest, chopped parsley, and maldon salt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for the suggestions. I’m definitely getting the twine and cooking it slow next time.

Also good call re: skimming.

I do usually make a risotto (not the last time though). Will give this another try down the road.