Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: emotional laborers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: emotional laborers

This topic cuts both ways. For the person who mentioned the Trader Joe's cashier I submit every Container Store employee. The handful of times I've been there my shopping usually boils down to 12 x 8 x 13 or 13 x 5 x 12 and I will have some giddy salesperson overenthusiastic about selling me a plastic rectangle. Same anytime an American goes out to eat his meal is interrupted 15 teams by a server checking in to ask if the mediocre food is good? And do you need another refill on that sweet tea I've studiously refilled since you sat down?

A lot of Brits have told me the joke about Americans goes an American sits down at the bar and 5 minutes later you know the guy's whole life story down to his mother's recent bout with cancer. I think this is true. My mom can take an elevator with someone and know a person's life story by the time the door opens. She's on the giving or receiving end every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy I like said this:

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the last 12 months or so I can see why someone may need a person to talk to more than ever. All this "social distancing" comes with a cost and I think it will cost us all more than anticipated.

More on topic, I love to chat it up with the guys at Monkey Wrench and I assume that when I am the only one in the shop, they have nothing but time. Thanks for the reminder that the bike in the stand is how they make their living.

Choose kind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the Vsalon community for its abundance of thoughtful people and their widely varying backgrounds. Thank you all for responding. I am excited to respond to your thoughts when I'm less busy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Evenson View Post
    I love the Vsalon community for its abundance of thoughtful people and their widely varying backgrounds. Thank you all for responding. I am excited to respond to your thoughts when I'm less busy!
    Hey, that's what we're here for. Beautiful bikes, enlightened conversation, and the occasional political debate. And ball busting, but that's because a bunch of us know each other in real life and internet ball busting is all we have in the covid era.

On the topic of engaging customers, even the emotionally difficult ones, RW's $0.02 resonates with me.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    If you want to be in a service industry imho, open your ears, be prepared to listen and show that your client means something to you beyond a source of income. There are awesome firms out there in all industries and competition is fierce. If you don’t take the time to listen, learn and genuinely care, get in line and become a commodity.
    My wife and brother-in-law treat their customers like friends and family. It's hard work. It takes time. Sometimes they get home late because a customer wanted to kill some time before, or even after, dinner at the mall where their shop is. Sometimes the customers talk about anything other than the products they sell. But they listen and engage with sincerity. Why? They've been in business for 75 years. They're the third generation to run the business and, amazingly, they have some second and third generation customers. That level of trust and support was earned and kept over many, many years by making sure customers felt at home in the shop. It's not for everyone and likely isn't possible to treat customers like that in every line of work, but it can certainly set one proprietor apart from the next.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12