User Tag List

Thread: Pretty nice package!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pretty nice package!

Out at home depot couldn't not take a pic of this rig in the parking lot to post here, closer to restaurants than HD, owners probably getting a bite to eat(and likely watching me walk around the rig). 28' or 30'(paced it off so +-) AirStream Flying Cloud, brand new with dealer plates. 2021 GMC 2500 Sierra Duramax 4x4, Idaho plates. 4 S-Works, 2 2x road and 2 1x gravel, a matching pair for each rider in flat black. The bikes showed recent use, dirt and mud on the gravels, road bikes not clean(not filthy either). I can only dream, hope their adventures are as good as the equipment!

The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pretty nice package!

There are a lot of places where you can buy a pretty nice house for what those folks have into their rigs. You can sleep in your car but you can't drive a house. That is one nice setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    There are a lot of places where you can buy a pretty nice house for what those folks have into their rigs...
    Yeah, I think north of 200K, but good for them, living their dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ballsy to leave those bikes out in the open. Must be the massive amount of bike thefts here in Denver, but I see those and that's the first thing that I think now.

I would LOVE to own an Airstream one day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be a crack in the space-time continuum - I'm back from the future and living my best life.. If it were a couple Kirks and an Ellis or two that is. With a truck and trailer that nice, you'd think they could afford some real bikes ... ;)
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    Ballsy to leave those bikes out in the open...
    I can't imagine they wouldn't be in a restaurant(several just out of the pic, +- 50 yards) with a view of the bikes, could get there in a flash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice setup. I personally wouldn't want that much money in bicycles exposed to the weather.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    There may be a crack in the space-time continuum - I'm back from the future and living my best life.. If it were a couple Kirks and an Ellis or two that is. With a truck and trailer that nice, you'd think they could afford some real bikes ... ;)
    Yeah you'll never ever ever catch me on a spec....
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Use your imagination to see the two Kirks that are inside the van in this picture. One of them is actually your size. And yes, I look ridiculous when I'm riding the Honda Monkey.

Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Use your imagination to see the two Kirks that are inside the van in this picture. One of them is actually your size. And yes, I look ridiculous when I'm riding the Honda Monkey.

Dan - Love that van!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question for you folks with trailers or RV's that presumably don't have significant off-road capability:

How easy/hard is it to find camping locations that have a decent amount of privacy so you aren't cheek-by-jowl with someone else right next to you?

IMO it doesn't make sense to say "I'm going camping," only to end up in what is essentially a parking lot with thirty other campers - that's not what I consider camping, and I might as well be spending the night in a hotel and not have to worry about expensive maintenance or repairs in a $150k camper. I know there are some niche go-anywhere, AWD earth-cruiser models that are practically military grade, with massive ground clearance and the works, but now we're talking some serious bucks, to the point where you really need to be sure you want to do this (or seriously loaded) to go that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hero.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    A question for you folks with trailers or RV's that presumably don't have significant off-road capability:

How easy/hard is it to find camping locations that have a decent amount of privacy so you aren't cheek-by-jowl with someone else right next to you?

IMO it doesn't make sense to say "I'm going camping," only to end up in what is essentially a parking lot with thirty other campers - that's not what I consider camping, and I might as well be spending the night in a hotel and not have to worry about expensive maintenance or repairs in a $150k camper. I know there are some niche go-anywhere, AWD earth-cruiser models that are practically military grade, with massive ground clearance and the works, but now we're talking some serious bucks, to the point where you really need to be sure you want to do this (or seriously loaded) to go that route.
    It is actually very easy. There are many many many boondocking sites or state lands where it this is allowed. Finding truly unspoiled views is a rarity even out west. Dan will attest that campgrounds we both aspired to are full of calm people who want the same thing as we do. The campsites are lovely, we find places which are kick off points for bicycle riding, hiking etc. etc. etc. Get it?

If you want an offroad capable towable, they exist. Heck you can even add a lift kit to Airstreams.

Point is, you are outside. Every campground is not a re-enactment of a Garth Brooks tailgate party and you make it what you need it to be. yah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post

As a general rule of thumb, state parks offer more space between sites than private campgrounds. With the current boom in camping, campgrounds can get quite crowded on weekends. If you can go through the week, you will typically only see a few other campers.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan, me thinks you have the original folks set up beat. Love the canoes added to the equation. Not into the motos, but with a couple few bikes in the back of da van, you my friend are a true hero. I guess you get used to it, but I don't back up the trailer very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backing a trailer up isn't a skill I can say I have mastered, but I get by. Poor rearward visibility from the van doesn't help. Having a good spotter giving directions is a huge help. I think many divorces have started at a campground, when the wife tries to give her husband directions to back a trailer onto their site.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea buddy, I hear that. We have a big old former mall parking lot on one of my rides. I watch the double trailer semi rigs practicing backing up in the cones. Like shoots, how do you ever figure that one out? Some of the older National Park sites (Glacier for sure) The trees have gotten bigger and the spots smaller thru the years. Because it is a Nat Park they don't like to whack the trees too much. Can't tell you the number of head scratchers when the trailer is too big for the spot I have seen up there..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice setup. I personally wouldn't want that much money in bicycles exposed to the weather.
    If you could afford to not care about the bikes, it wouldn't matter. We're not seeing the entire picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Yeah, I think north of 200K, but good for them, living their dream.
    Maybe their dream is a credit payment nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    If you could afford to not care about the bikes, it wouldn't matter. We're not seeing the entire picture.
    A few days ago I attempted to resuscitate a frozen chain. The possibly criminal owners had callously racked their bikes ontop their pickup truck bed. I failed.