Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airstream Bambi vs. Class B Thor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airstream Bambi vs. Class B Thor

The last time I checked Sprinters and Ford Transit vans had a tow rating as high as 7500 in certain configurations. That is certainly more than enough for a smaller trailer but is right at the limit for our 28 foot trailer. The bigger issue is neither of those vans have a frame underneath them. Both manufacturers do not recommend using a weight distribution hitch (WDH) because of this. That severely limits what you can tow. I know there are people using a wdh with those vans, but when a manufacturer specifically recommends against that in the owner's manual you can count me out.

Good luck tomorrow checking out the class B van. That segment of the RV industry is hugely popular right now. It's an option that works well for many, and sounds like it might be the right choice for you.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Who remembers the make/brand of trailer showing at last Philly Bike Expo? That is a great rig, it had everything you are asking for including a wash setup for bicycles. The price was very reasonable.
    I think it was VanGo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    I think it was VanGo
    Really impressed with the setup. They had it dialed. Found it, Vandolt >> https://www.vandoit.com/
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-24-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates on the van plan?
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Any updates on the van plan?
    Wienermobile still in the shop - had a slight incident on it way to being delivered to the OP...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog down dog down dog down ;) << What dyslexics shout when the Wienermobile crashes.

My work here is done.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-25-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to spoil the fun but I really dislike the Ram products, truck, or van. The only engine they have that is good is the Cummins Diesel, a very long-living engine but the transmission is only averaging 110,000 miles and they're about $5,000 to rebuild, not to mention electronic issues with the rest of the Ram truck or van. Ford and Chevy is in the same boat except their diesel engines sucks as does the transmissions.

I think if I wanted a van type I would look at the Mercedes Benz models, yeah a bit more expensive but the MBZ engine and transmission are better then the American counterparts. Something like the Airstream Interstate Nineteen would be great choice. Sure it's going to cost more but if you plan on using it a lot than a splurge is worth it. Plus if you plan, or tell them you plan on living in it for I think 6 months out of the year it will qualify for a home loan interest rates.

Personally I would look on the used market, those RV vans and trailers will take about a 50% depreciation hit just in the first 3 years, however Airstream holds their value better than others.

The other thing to consider is if you're young do you plan on having kids, if so you will outgrow the van thing FAST, then you have to trade it for something larger. If that is potentially an issue then I would look at a class C from Winnebago like the smaller Porto or Vita, this sort of "van" you won't feel nearly as cramped as a van will feel once just two of you have had it for 3 months and then wish you had gotten the larger one just for the two of you without kids!

There is a lot to consider buying an RV, so study them well and get on RV forums and ask them what they think. Be careful of the cheaper lower-end units, especially in a trailer, trailers lately are built real cheap dispite what the cost would seem to indicate, I've seen roofs either the front edge lifted up and flapping up and down, or blowing off of trailers going down the highway! I would also try to rent one once you settle on a couple. I rented a trailer once to see if I was going to like it and it looked really nifty except once we started using it the cabinet doors about a third of them were fake and would not open, they had the storage space behind the "doors" but you had to shove things back into that storage area, it wasn't easy to pack stuff nor good to retrieve stuff. So you have to kind of use it to get an idea if you really want that Van, and renting these things are not cheap, at around $1,000 for a weekend, but it's cheaper than buying a Van and then find out later you made a mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12