Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon steel griddle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carbon steel griddle?

We've about worn out yet another electric, aluminum non-stick griddle. Crap gets baked on that won't come off unless you scrub it (almost certain 'cause she sprays it with PAM I'm guessing), which removes the non-stick coating. I don't want to buy another one, we're moving away from non-stick stuff and going with cast iron and carbon steel instead. I want something I can season.

From what I can find this looks like my best bet. I'll be using it on a glass top electric stovetop. Well, mostly my wife will be using it, mostly for pancakes. Any other recommendations?

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...le?sku=CRSGR18

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Carbon steel griddle?

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    We've about worn out yet another electric, aluminum non-stick griddle. Crap gets baked on that won't come off unless you scrub it (almost certain 'cause she sprays it with PAM I'm guessing), which removes the non-stick coating. I don't want to buy another one, we're moving away from non-stick stuff and going with cast iron and carbon steel instead. I want something I can season.

From what I can find this looks like my best bet. I'll be using it on a glass top electric stovetop. Well, mostly my wife will be using it, mostly for pancakes. Any other recommendations?

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...le?sku=CRSGR18

Looks like a nice griddle. Everything I own from Lodge is Top Notch, however the product description says (Not intended for smooth-top stoves.) your glass top surface may not like it. Might be a reason to get a proper gas cook top ;>)
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting down the cast iron rabbit hole. I've gotten two pieces, Nr. 4 and Nr. 8 Field Company skillets. We'll see how this goes. The idea of Le Creuset is very appealing. Mostly non-stick with easier cleaning and care. Also cast iron but with a durable enamel finish.

They do make griddles like pictured, also in rectangular form like Dustin wants.

Good call on going away from chemical non-stick surfaces. Doing the same here.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cook fast and hot with a DeBuyer pan.

https://debuyer-usa.com/collections/...e-tortilla-pan

Seasoning required. Follow the directions. No acids. Handwash only, no scrubber or abrasives. Build that patina.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my debuyer, I find myself using it more often than my various le creuset on the stove top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    In the specifications section, for dimensions, it says 12.25" diameter. It's an oval!!

Cook fast and hot with a DeBuyer pan.

https://debuyer-usa.com/collections/...e-tortilla-pan

Seasoning required. Follow the directions. No acids. Handwash only, no scrubber or abrasives. Build that patina.
    I've got a few carbon steel pans already, and they're great, but the wife likes the large surface area of a griddle for making pancakes for three or four people.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Looks like a nice griddle. Everything I own from Lodge is Top Notch, however the product description says (Not intended for smooth-top stoves.) your glass top surface may not like it. Might be a reason to get a proper gas cook top ;>)
    Yeah and I think I figured out why. There's lots of reviews on Amazon that say it warps and then wont stay put on a smooth top. Some show up warped.

I've got a big steel plate already for making pizza. May give it a test run as a griddle and if it works get my buddy to make a larger one that would fit over two eyes on our stove.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a few carbon steel pans already, and they're great, but the wife likes the large surface area of a griddle for making pancakes for three or four people.
    Didn't realize you were running a boarding house!

Maybe this will work.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't realize you were running a boarding house!

Maybe this will work.

Now that's what's up! Now to do some research and think about where to store that beast when we're not using it....
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AH HA! Serious Eats has lead me to this. This is pretty much exactly what I want. Now to go home and take some measurements and see if I want the 20x11.5 'skinny' version or the more square 18x14. Probably the skinny as it'll be easier to store and likely fits over two stove eyes better.

https://bakingsteel.com/collections/...skinny-griddle

I like how one side gives you the grease trap while the other is flat.

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-11-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started reading this and was going to recommend the Baking Steel and now that I've scrolled down see that you've already arrived there.

The Steelmade flat top is also interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah and I think I figured out why. There's lots of reviews on Amazon that say it warps and then wont stay put on a smooth top. Some show up warped.
    This has been my experience. I have a Matfer and a glass top electric stove. Pan warped within a couple of months and now slides a bit if I don't control it. There are some Youtube videos on why this happens; essentially, the glass top doesn't heat the pan evenly. I still love it and use it and maybe a griddle would be less prone to warping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that's what's up! Now to do some research and think about where to store that beast when we're not using it....

Looks like this will not work with an induction stovetop from what I can see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would generally advise against using a flat low-sided griddle. A thick cast iron griddle is a somewhat better bet. Here's the issue: A carbon steel frying pan (or even crepe pan) has a turned up edge that lends structural stability when the metal heats up (and inevitably warps). You need a more substantial raised edge or else a lot more stabilizing thickness in the bottom. Otherwise it warps with heat and doesn't have to return to the same position when cool.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    I would generally advise against using a flat low-sided griddle. A thick cast iron griddle is a somewhat better bet. Here's the issue: A carbon steel frying pan (or even crepe pan) has a turned up edge that lends structural stability when the metal heats up (and inevitably warps). You need a more substantial raised edge or else a lot more stabilizing thickness in the bottom. Otherwise it warps with heat and doesn't have to return to the same position when cool.
    I've pre-ordered the 'skinny' baking steel griddle, it'll fit really well on my stovetop, almost like it was made for it. That sumbitch is 3/8" thick, so at the temps we'll be cooking at I *hope* warping won't be an issue. My carbon steel pans will warp just a bit when they get hot (the bottom bows down so it'll spin easily, like an unbalanced top), but since they have a handle to stabilize them while turning/stirring the food it's not a problem really, tho it is annoying. They're a whole lot thinner than the griddle though.

I'll report back. May be a while tho, looks like they're currently taking pre-orders and it'll ship sometime next month. And if there's one thing we've all learned these last 12 months or so, don't trust shipping time estimates!
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-12-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you ordered....just adding this to the discussion for the next reader:

Lodge makes a glass top suitable cast iron flat top griddle with side wells. It came with my oven! It has tiny silicone feet that prevent it from scratching the glass. Gets wicked hot and doesn't warp. I use it every weekend for pancakes, grilled cheese etc. I still haven't seen a comparable round version. When I need round cast iron I just make sure to be super delicate with it on the glass top and not move it around. The coarse surface rubbing against the glass is the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I know you ordered....just adding this to the discussion for the next reader:

Lodge makes a glass top suitable cast iron flat top griddle with side wells. It came with my oven! It has tiny silicone feet that prevent it from scratching the glass. Gets wicked hot and doesn't warp. I use it every weekend for pancakes, grilled cheese etc. I still haven't seen a comparable round version. When I need round cast iron I just make sure to be super delicate with it on the glass top and not move it around. The coarse surface rubbing against the glass is the problem.
    Got a link?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a link?
    An emphatic NO!!!! But since you asked, I went searching for it.

It looks like this but only one sided. The other side has 4 tiny little feet. And the Lodge logo......for a moment when I didn't see it on their site I wondered if I was mistaken.

So I wonder if this is a product made for and distributed with certain ovens. Mine is a GE 5 burner glass top, with the left two burners combining to serve a griddle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    An emphatic NO!!!! But since you asked, I went searching for it.

It looks like this but only one sided. The other side has 4 tiny little feet. And the Lodge logo......for a moment when I didn't see it on their site I wondered if I was mistaken.

So I wonder if this is a product made for and distributed with certain ovens. Mine is a GE 5 burner glass top, with the left two burners combining to serve a griddle.
    10-4. I asked because I too had looked at the Lodge site to see what they offered (first place I went actually), but all they have are those dual-sided griddles.

By the way, it's 2021. Haven't people realized griddles with ridges are effing stupid? You want to sear the whole steak, not just narrow parallel strips on it. People chasing grill marks are missing out on flavor!
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-15-2021 at 10:13 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast