Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: NE Skiing: Intel needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NE Skiing: Intel needed

I'm in search of real-life intel on what the social distancing/crowd situation is at major NE ski slopes, NY in particular. Are the lift lines long or unbearable as a result of pandemic rules enforcement? Are you getting your money's worth?

I take my kids skiing during the winter school recess. My first choice places based on driving distance and lodging options are usually Windham then moving northward Gore and finally Whiteface. Out of state travel to VT, NH is not worth the hassle to me because I'll have to report that to my employer and probably quarantine even though I've been vaccinated because no one has adjusted that policy!

Many places are sold out completely because they restricted ticket sales and/or giving preference to season pass holders. Belleayre is selling tickets ($300 a day for two adults and two kids not incl. equipment)....honestly not sure that mountain is worth that premium. I'm reluctant to slap down the credit card without knowing what the lift line situation is and whether it's going to be remotely pleasant given all the other warnings such as "leave your stuff and food in your car" and "please eat outside."

Has anyone been skiing at one of the NY slopes? How was it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NE Skiing: Intel needed

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I'm in search of real-life intel on what the social distancing/crowd situation is at major NE ski slopes, NY in particular. Are the lift lines long or unbearable as a result of pandemic rules enforcement? Are you getting your money's worth?

I take my kids skiing during the winter school recess. My first choice places based on driving distance and lodging options are usually Windham then moving northward Gore and finally Whiteface. Out of state travel to VT, NH is not worth the hassle to me because I'll have to report that to my employer and probably quarantine even though I've been vaccinated because no one has adjusted that policy!

Many places are sold out completely because they restricted ticket sales and/or giving preference to season pass holders. Belleayre is selling tickets ($300 a day for two adults and two kids not incl. equipment)....honestly not sure that mountain is worth that premium. I'm reluctant to slap down the credit card without knowing what the lift line situation is and whether it's going to be remotely pleasant given all the other warnings such as "leave your stuff and food in your car" and "please eat outside."

Has anyone been skiing at one of the NY slopes? How was it?
    We decided to make this a "cross country ski only" winter.
    I have friends who have skied Hunter and Belleayre midweek and had a great time.
    Here's the catch though: They're single adults going midweek on a season pass, and they ski for 3-4 hours and then leave.
    I'm not liking the prospect of a holiday week, with kids, and wanting to ski all day but needing bathroom breaks and lunch break.

Good luck if you do go, I hope it works out.
    Let us know because I'm curious myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last week there were a couple of green days at Windham and they had walk up tickets sales. This week is $130/day. The weekends are sold out till end of season.

If your kids can play hookey Friday, I'd hit Catamount near Slow Poke Pete's in Hillsdale for the day. Adult ticket is only $50/day for an adult. The mountain is little, and you have to eat in your car, but it is the best you are going to do. But the proper way to look at this is the GOV is sending you a stimulus check so you can afford to take your kids skiing. You maybe even get a bonus on the backend of $3000/kid. It's your patrioted duty to spend the money and stimulate the local economies.

And trust me, you are thinking about skiing relative to normal life pre-covid. Even a bad day skiing compared to our normal covid existence is a really nice day on the slopes.

There is no real place to avoid the crowds. This is Mammoth 2 weeks ago when they had the mid-week 9 ft dump. Everyone and their brother headed up for the weekend including my daughter. It's like Disneyland long lines.

The next week, going to Alta since they limit the number of cars allowed to park even, if you don't make it before the parking lot closes SOL.
    It means an early departure up the Canyon.

Tail gate breakfast cook out.

But the snow is always worth it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do come up here to ski Catamount, our former landlords in town (Hillsdale) are still renting their upstairs apartment in town. Just have to match up your dates with availability. You can see Catamount at night from the backyard. Very close. And there is an IGA, several restaurants, all obeying covid guidelines and with kid friendly food. Apartment has a small but functional kitchen also. The landlords are very careful about cleaning. It is on rt. 23, but they've done some soundproofing and conveniently skiing wears you out. Nice beds!

Plenty of snow here too. Catamount just got a big injection of capital through a buy-invest arrangement with the owners of Berkshire East Mountain Resort. New facilities and new runs. Butternut is nearby (20-25 minutes) in Great Barrington if you want to visit that as well.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    We decided to make this a "cross country ski only" winter.
    I have friends who have skied Hunter and Belleayre midweek and had a great time.
    Here's the catch though: They're single adults going midweek on a season pass, and they ski for 3-4 hours and then leave.
    I'm not liking the prospect of a holiday week, with kids, and wanting to ski all day but needing bathroom breaks and lunch break.

Good luck if you do go, I hope it works out.
    Let us know because I'm curious myself.
    I thought about XC or snowshoe adventures but we'd need gear rentals and even that stuff can be hard to come by. The two ski shops nearest me are cleaned out. And, honestly, there's no comparison for the kids between working hard at XC or snowshoeing and screaming downhill.

Back in the day before kids, I wouldn't think twice about driving 3 hours by myself, skiing and coming back home at 11pm. And if it was crowded, that was just part of the day. Now the economics are different and I know my wife and kids won't tolerate standing in a line like Doug pictured or have to walk back to the car to eat a Subway sandwich.

Catamount looks appealing. Further north than I thought/recalled it: solid 2.5 hour drive and I can't push off until 11 on Friday because of work. Maybe I'll call them in the morning and see how bananas the place gets during the holiday week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

I can't think of a single place in NY, maybe the entire NE, that would make me want to wait on that line! This same time period last year we took our kids to Gore for the first time. The season got something of a slow start but it dumped snow the day before we left. Crowds were light; you could've parked next to the base lodge. Longest wait was maybe 10 mins because of a mechanical issue on the gondola. Kids' first black diamond and short glade run. There were grumblings of a virus in another part of the world......Seems like a million years ago. So....yeah, anytime skiing is a victory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't think of a single place in NY, maybe the entire NE, that would make me want to wait on that line! This same time period last year we took our kids to Gore for the first time. The season got something of a slow start but it dumped snow the day before we left. Crowds were light; you could've parked next to the base lodge. Longest wait was maybe 10 mins because of a mechanical issue on the gondola. Kids' first black diamond and short glade run. There were grumblings of a virus in another part of the world......Seems like a million years ago. So....yeah, anytime skiing is a victory.
    This place, Kenver, rents skis and equipment if you want to avoid the ski area's rental shop. In South Egremont (JP Weigle's birthplace I believe) so on the other side of the ridge from Hillsdale with Catamount in the middle. I don't know if the prices are any different though. Just less crowded.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catamount it is, then. Scored a last minute AirBNB so we can do a couple of days. Online ticket vending sux, had to call them to complete the transaction nd they were helpful. We haven’t skied this area before so it will be a mini-adventure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catamount is nice. Smaller than our usual fare but enough to keep us busy. Parking lot is mostly empty, eat in your car, no lines to speak of. Rainy but skiing in the fog/drizzle is better than being at home. Only nit is their equipment rentals are......kinda tired. My boots had a lot of heel slop and were soaking wet right off the rack. Stuff takes a beating. I’m heading right to the shop to get my own kit when I get home now that I’m 3 seasons into with the kids and they still enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catamount is nice. Smaller than our usual fare but enough to keep us busy. Parking lot is mostly empty, eat in your car, no lines to speak of. Rainy but skiing in the fog/drizzle is better than being at home. Only nit is their equipment rentals are......kinda tired. My boots had a lot of heel slop and were soaking wet right off the rack. Stuff takes a beating. I’m heading right to the shop to get my own kit when I get home now that I’m 3 seasons into with the kids and they still enjoy it.
    Tomorrow will be cold - in the 20's plus NW wind will take it into single digits at Catamount. I expect that means everything will ski faster? More ice at least. But the sun will be out supposedly. Take your sunglasses!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was warm today. By end of day it was slushy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I grew up in PA and skied through college and into my mid-20s. During those years, I wore a helmet on the bike but never once on the slopes. In that photo, every head has a helmet. Love it. How warm are they? Guessing there is a huge opportunity to combine protection and warmth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    I grew up in PA and skied through college and into my mid-20s. During those years, I wore a helmet on the bike but never once on the slopes. In that photo, every head has a helmet. Love it. How warm are they? Guessing there is a huge opportunity to combine protection and warmth.
    Warm. They are comfy. I actually think the thing that made them ubiquitous is goggles. With a hard shell, and strap retainer, goggles are so much more comfy to wear with a helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you considered fahnestock?...i dont do nordic, but my shop owner does...it has been fantastic for obvious reasons...pretty sure you can rent there and not a long trip for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that this year the NY ski areas are limiting occupancy which might make for a better experience. So many places have invested in great lift capacity because everybody hates lift lines but all you do is trade them for hills littered with human obstacles where on a weekend its about impossible to make a single run without some clueless veering into your line and since the overtaking skier is responsible not to cause a collision you spend the whole day in evasion maneuvers swearing under your breath. Weekdays are often not much better. I sort of lost interest in skiing downhill because it could be so aggravating.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    ski helmets are incredibly warm. I even grab mine for coldweather MTB rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size are you looking for in a boot - I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Prime S 110 flex size 26.5 (9 US mens) - only worn once - paid $500 you can have them for a steal with a kick back to VSalon - most comfortable boot ever. I upgraded to the same boot with the Tech toe version 120 Flex.

https://www.sunandski.com/p/34310050...SABEgIPDvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    have you considered fahnestock?...i dont do nordic, but my shop owner does...it has been fantastic for obvious reasons...pretty sure you can rent there and not a long trip for you
    Not renting this year because if COVID but yeah that was my first choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Warm. They are comfy. I actually think the thing that made them ubiquitous is goggles. With a hard shell, and strap retainer, goggles are so much more comfy to wear with a helmet.
    I think state laws requiring children under 14 to wear helmets created a whole group of young skiers who just always wore one. If you are going to make your kids wear one, as a parent, you will wear one too.

For the younger kids, there is a cool factor because the cool kids in the park are wearing helmets.

Here's a photo of me and some friends on a snowboard trip in the himalayas in the late 90's. Helicopter and all off piste. Not a helmet to be seen.

23 yrs later, on the bunny slope...

I look like a robot from a bad B movie.

Fortunately, Oakley Mod Helmets and Goggles fit together nicely with ventilation. So since you have to be masked up this year, it fogs less than just goggles and a hat, or sunglasses and a hat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to NE intel. The suggestions above to try smaller venues are sound. Catamount had relatively ( my recent experience has been at Gore and Whiteface early last season) few people. No line was longer than a six minute wait, slopes not crowded. Even the lodge if you’re patient seats could be found in partitioned areas they put together.

I would like a partial refund from the people who suggested it. It’s been cold and icy the past 3 days but no new snow. I’m heading home to 6 inches of fresh pow in my driveway!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast