User Tag List

Thread: Any American Ex-Pats here? We are heavily considering...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Any American Ex-Pats here? We are heavily considering...

GTFOH.

This is a daunting prospect for the Wife and I to entertain and I am looking for legitimate resources with which to evaluate the possibilities.

We're looking at Belize & Panama, Panama City atm... nevertheless nothing is heavily weighted as yet.

Thanks in advance!
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any American Ex-Pats here? We are heavily considering...

So you are thinking of decamping? Not sure what the question is.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    So you are thinking of decamping?
    Indeed. The question is: "I am looking for legitimate resources with which to evaluate the possibilities."

I'm doing research. Real estate, infrastructure, ease of immigration, lifestyle, medical, yadayadayada, etc..

So recommendations in terms of where to be poking around online and such from folks with actual experience.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    Have you spent any time in the countries you have mentioned?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
    That is a part of the plan. Extended stays in the contenders. Panama City is considered a "world," city with an apparently vibrant ex-pat community + amenities. The areas specified in the travel advisory are incredibly remote and have no bearing on where we'd seriously consider settling. I live in the Bronx, I can easily find neighborhoods as "bad," as those travel advisories. ;)
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are keeping your current address as a home base while you explore then no need for a visa in the beginning. You can travel up to 90 days on a US passport.
    Non working visas everywhere a bureaucratic formality as long as you have plenty of cash in the bank and a clean record.
    We had planned to apply for a year visa to Spain this year but that was impossible and won't be a realistic option for some time.
    We are just the opposite and want to avoid the ex-pat community as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not one myself, but many friends are.

A major consideration is how interested you are in being part of your new home. There are places that cater to expats... but it's mostly early retirement folks and if you're looking to escape the worst of american ugliness, well, those places have imported it. It ends up just being rich-white-america with a lower cost of living.

If you're actually interested in being part of the culture, then it's going to be about how quickly you can find friends and acquaintances. My friends who immigrated found the social isolation crushingly difficult to deal with--and they are all typically people who don't struggle meeting and talking to people. In most cases it took them years to settle in. A strong command of the language(s) before hand is a must. Having work lined up before hand helps considerably, both for the paperwork and for the connections to people. Immigration is hard. Most folks do it as a desperate measure for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might help if you were more specific about your plans. Is this for work? If so, what's the profession? Retirement? If you choose to work, this limits your options for locations. If you choose location, this limits options for work.
    Your situation (or perceived questions) sounds a bit different than what I have to offer but I have experience working as an expat. I don't really have a say in where I'm located, or my living arrangements, or how long I'll be in a given location. It's more of a 'make the best of it' or 'suck it up' until you move on. Most of what I'm responsible for is what I deem as items I can't live without - bike and espresso machine sum that up. Everything else is provided. I don't have an opportunity to settle so real estate, infrastructure, lifestyle etc. mean nothing to me.
    What does matter - I miss friends and family. I miss the shit I would normally decline to attend if I was in the US. I miss the familiarity that comes from growing up in a place and knowing the people. I miss the simple shit. This ranges from 'will I have electricity or water service tonight' to 'can I trust the food' to 'should I take a alternate route home'. Being in places you wouldn't normally want to be makes it very difficult to relax.
    Regardless of all stupid shit that happens in the US, it's still a wonderful country.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin, I spent 6 years as a half-year winter expat in a village in Mexico, owned a house, paid electric and water bills, the whole thing.

I’d be happy to discuss any and all aspects of my experiences if you’d care to. PM or e-mail is best.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    GTFOH.

This is a daunting prospect for the Wife and I to entertain and I am looking for legitimate resources with which to evaluate the possibilities.

We're looking at Belize & Panama, Panama City atm... nevertheless nothing is heavily weighted as yet.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EBH View Post
    As a Scandinavian I can tell you, that it ain't like that all over Europe.
    Swedish Cowboys and German Indians?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    GTFOH.

Thanks in advance!
    I am currently at San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and i see lots of americanos. They seem to love living here. It´s the semi desert. It´s quite nice but a bit too calm for my own taste. Otoh couple friends here will move to Panama City: one of them has us citizenship but was raised in Panama.
    slow.