Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Homebrew guitar pickup winder

I'm a bit on the fence if this actually counts as a handmade item. If nothing else, I figure it fits right in with Vsalon's over the top, no stone unturned ethos.

Inspired by @VertigoCycles' guitar and amp builds, I'm sharing my recent guitar hobby project. I designed, printed, and assembled a semi-automatic guitar pickup winder.

For those unfamiliar with the construction of guitar pickups, they're pretty simple. Many (5,000+) turns of very thin (42awg - 44awg) copper wire are coiled around a plastic bobbin. In the case of Gibson style pickups, a bar magnet is placed below the coils. When steel guitar strings move in the magnetic field a current is induced in the coil and can be sent to an amp.

I drew up the design in Fusion 360:

The bobbin will be mounted to the disc in the rear. The off axis cylinder on the left is a cam that will rotate and push the traverse bar (near horizontal bar) back and forth to guide the wire back and forth across the bobbin. The limit bar (distant horizontal bar) will allow me to use collars to limit the wire travel so I'm only winding on the bobbin. The three grey blocks on the right are displays for wind plate RPM, wind count, and traverse cam RPM.

I designed it to print in three sections, the winder enclosure on the right, the traverse motor enclosure on the left, and the middle section in the middle.

After catching a few errors and redesigning, the final product looks something like this:

I wasn't clever enough to figure out how to do the math to design a cam that moved exactly like I wanted right off the bat. I ended up just printing and evolving the design bit by bit. After a while I stopped including the part of the design that held the magnets for the traverse cam speed sensor, just so I could print cam designs faster. Wouldn't you know it, it was lucky cam number 13 that was good enough to keep.

The cam design isn't perfect, but the coil comes out reasonably even. At this point, I'd rather spend the time to design and build version 2.0 with stepper motors and Arduino control than continue to spend time tweaking the cam shape. The old Gibson factory mechanical winders didn't wind perfectly either, so I figure I'm in good company.

I'm tensioning the wire by hand. You can see that the edges of the bobbin are slightly warped. That shows that I was putting too much tension on there. I have some ideas for a mechanically controlled tensioner. I've left a notch cut out in the middle section of the winder to allow me to clip it in place.

Here's a coil all wound up, waiting for it's partner to be wound:

Here's a short video showing an early iteration of the machine in action:

By logging the wind plate speed and cam speed, I can estimate the number of turns per layer. If something sounds good, I can check my notes and rebuild the same pickup again in the future. When winding entirely by hand, I wasn't able to be very consistent. Imagine winding up a ball of yarn; you'll never do it the same way twice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Homebrew guitar pickup winder

Super cool! Thanks for sharing that. Doing it imperfectly, like the Gibson winders, can't be all bad right? The Throbak guy seems to be making a good go of it.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post

By logging the wind plate speed and cam speed, I can estimate the number of turns per layer.
    I used to have a coil / transformer winder, a commercial unit from the salad days of V/T electronics. It was somewhat like a bigger, motorised version of this one:

winder1.jpg

(pic courtesy University of Surrey)

The thing was wonderful to watch operating but more importantly it had a simple resettable counter to give turns per layer and total turns. It seems to me that would be a simple addition to your machine.

FWIW I gave the winder to the Melbourne Audio Club when I got out of the audio electronic business, they probably still have it.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool. I think Lollar wrote a book on building your own winder. Have you seen it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Very cool. I think Lollar wrote a book on building your own winder. Have you seen it?
    For some reason I thought it was out of print, but sure enough, it's up for sale on Lollar's page. I just placed my order.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    The thing was wonderful to watch operating but more importantly it had a simple resettable counter to give turns per layer and total turns. It seems to me that would be a simple addition to your machine.
    I've got a wind counter on there, but the TPL is a bit trickier. I'm tensioning by hand, and the tension applied slows the winding motor a bit. Without any resistance, at full power, the winder will run at about 1210 RPM. With a bit of tension to produce a nice coil, the winder bogs down to about 1150 RPM (I can hold it steady +/- 5rpm or so). The traverse motor doesn't speed up or slow down due to tension. I figure I get two layers per full revolution of the cam. If the winder sits around 1150 RPM and I'm shooting for 50TPL, I'm looking for 11.5 RPM on the traverse cam. I've got the traverse cam with four magnets on it to increase my sampling rate, so if I set the traverse readout to 46, and wind around 1150 RPM, I should be close to the mark. I made a reference sheet comparing various RPMs and the resultant TPL. I can track TPL and design to it, but it ends up being the product of other variables rather than a parameter I'm influencing directly. Seems like some pickup winders (the people, not the machines) really care about TPL, others don't. I cant imagine anyone winding by hand has a particularly precise TPL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a DC motor? If so I can show you how to stop it slowing with increased torque. You need to know the DC resistance of the motor winding.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Is it a DC motor? If so I can show you how to stop it slowing with increased torque. You need to know the DC resistance of the motor winding.
    Indeed it is! 12v DC. I'm reading anywhere from 13 to 30 ohm (mostly around 25ohm) depending on the rotation of the spindle.